Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 09:25 AM
BradtheAg
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You can talk yourself out of just about anything if you try hard enough, but that's no way to go through life. Buy the car, you'll enjoy it even more than you imagine you will.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

QUOTE=Doug H;14857370] I have the financially ability to absorb a $25k rebuild, but won't touch a NA 997.1 due to long term scoring concerns. Not worth it and one could spend a few extra $$$s to get a 9A1 which is also a better car with the same body.[/QUOTE]

Do you know that the 9A1 has scoring issues as well. Do a search on Jake Raby comments on whether he has seen scoring on 997.2. Scoring is not limited to Porsches either. Too much worry about unlikely situations.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:11 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Like I've said before, this forum is filled with worry warts - Much more fun driving your 997.1 Porsche and enjoying it - Let the Porsche-less people interacting on the forum do the worrying for you

Old 03-09-2018, 11:48 AM
GPGolden
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Like I've said before, this forum is filled with worry warts - Much more fun driving your 997.1 Porsche and enjoying it - Let the Porsche-less people interacting on the forum do the worrying for you

Hey - I resemble that comment.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:12 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Its imperative that you are informed, more than "horrified".

This makes you buy the right car, after due diligence has been executed. Have a PPI done with extensive engine evaluations as part of the inspection.

Make sure that you are not buying someone else's "nightmare". We see this a lot lately, as people and shops read more and more about the traits of engine failure, and the precursors. Mr. Raby's training has now reached to more than 1,500 North American technicians, and while those people knowing the symptoms is a great thing, it also means that more cars are hitting the market with issues that have not become apparent yet. These cars are often sold, and the new owner feels the brunt of the failure. This happens all the time.

Approach with great care. Don;t just buy the lowest mileage car you can find, either... Those are often the units that we see the most issues with, as the engine has not been able to prove it's self, and often these engines are not serviced often enough, as they are not driven.

You have to go into this understanding that these cars can cost more to own, than they cost to purchase. The biggest key is a semi- invasive PPI carried out by someone who is passionate with these engines.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ownership guidelines for the 997:

1) Don't worry, be happy
2) IMSB failure? Pay the man and see #1
3) Bores scored? I hear Atlanta is wonderful this time of year... oh, and see #1

Seriously, if the thought of a $17,000 car (996) or a $35,000 car (997.1) suffering a $25,000 failure sounds like a showstopper to you, you may struggle with #1 above. Nothing wrong with that in my view, you are a practical thinker.

For some people spending lots of time reading the stories of misery posted here can almost be as bad as having an actual failure in terms of #1 above. That doesn't sound like a good way to enjoy a sports car. If you already own a 996 or 997 I recommend you go for a drive or change your oil versus reading more about IMSB failures or scoring. If you enjoy reading others' tales of woe I have nothing constructive to say about that.

I just changed my oil so I think I'll go for a drive.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
QUOTE=Doug H;14857370] Do you know that the 9A1 has scoring issues as well. Do a search on Jake Raby comments on whether he has seen scoring on 997.2. Scoring is not limited to Porsches either. Too much worry about unlikely situations.
Very familiar with what Jake Raby has said and not said about scoring and the 9A1

A couple of examples of 9A1 scoring does not make it an "issue as well" and he and Baz seem to unanimously agree that the 9A1 is much more durable as do my contacts and friends who are long term Porsche technicians.

Like I said, I have been around and raced Porsches all of my life (since 80s) an owned more than 25 911s and perhaps more than 35 if I sat down and counted. No neophyte to 911s or typical 911 issues. You may be cool with buying a 997.1. I am not, but I have no concerns about the 9A1s or DFIs in general. Sorry if it hurts feelings of those with .1s, but potential purchasers have the right to make informed decisions.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I've owned a variety of Porsches and some were used and some were new. My comments have nothing to do with any particular ailment of any model rather its about general maintenance. Whenever I purchase a used one I would budget about $6,000 for maintenance if it is not a CPO vehicle. The reason is if a car is 4ish years old I'd plan on needing to do a major service, brakes, tires, battery, and maybe a clutch.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:12 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Reading the forums is like watching the world news. You'll eventually convince yourself that the entire world is upside down.

Is this the thread you were referring to about the 997.2 engine issue?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ability-7.html
Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
. . .

You have to go into this understanding that these cars can cost more to own, than they cost to purchase. The biggest key is a semi- invasive PPI carried out by someone who is passionate with these engines.
That should not be acceptable. A lot of people buy these used 911s (996s and 997s) because it is an affordable entry into the sports car market. It is not and should never acceptable that it would be a reasonable risk to spend more on owning the purchase price of an entry level priced 911. PPI and bore scoping is great, but that does not mean scoring will not later occur in an engine prone to bore scoring. A clean PPI does not mean something will not break the week after purchase . . . it just means nothing broken now . . .

Last edited by Doug H; 03-09-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Reading the forums is like watching the world news. You'll eventually convince yourself that the entire world is upside down.

Nope, a much later thread where I tried to nail down specifics . . .
Old 03-09-2018, 03:39 PM
mpath
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by DesmoSD

That's why I don't go to sites like WebMD; that rabbit hole only ends up at one place.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:53 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mpath
That's why I don't go to sites like WebMD; that rabbit hole only ends up at one place.
Post of the year! We're a bunch of hypochondriacs!
Old 03-09-2018, 03:55 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
That should be acceptable. A lot of people buy these used 911s (996s and 997s) because it is an affordable entry into the sports car market. It is not and should never acceptable that it would be a reasonable risk to spend more on owning the purchase price of an entry level priced 911. PPI and bore scoping is great, but that does not mean scoring will not later occur in an engine prone to bore scoring. A clean PPI does not mean something will not break the week after purchase . . . it just means nothing broken now . . .
Just because they are affordable to buy doesn't mean they are (or should be) affordable to own.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Just because they are affordable to buy doesn't mean they are (or should be) affordable to own.
I corrected the earlier post to say should not be acceptable.

Lol, if you think its cool and are okay with paying $35k for a car worth $35k in perfect condition and having to drop $25k for a new engine a year later only now to have a car worth less than $35k. . . far be it for me to say you should not be happy about it.

I expected $25k bills on some of my Italians, but not on a $35k Porsche.

The whole premise of 911s over the last 30 + years is that they are close to super car performance that one can drive every day and are cheap to maintain.

Quick Reply: This forum is scaring me away from a 997.1