PDK Responsiveness in 09 Targa 4S

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 09:44 PM
Orioles17
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Responsiveness in 09 Targa 4S

Hi all,
I'm a new Porsche owner and have only driven my 2009 Targa 4S a couple times since I took delivery a couple weeks ago - certainly not enough time to get a true feel for the car, but now that the winter tires are on, I plan on having a lot more driving time. I've been driving a 2015 VW GTI for the past three years and really thought it was a terrific car. Very quick, light, and lots of fun. I'm used to driving the VW in normal or sports mode with or without the paddle shifter. When I'm driving up a hill, the computer knows to drop down to a lower gear for extra power if I depress the accelerator. For the Porsche, in normal driving mode the car seems to get to 6th gear and hold it, even up a hill unless I use the paddle shifters or switch into sports mode. However, with sports mode computer hovers around 3rd/4th gear, even when stuck behind other cars at a steady 40 mph. It feels a little wrong to be driving a Porsche that feels like it's lumbering under heavy weight because of the automatic the gear selection.

Here's my question: I'm new the car and will likely figure it out, but I can't help being used to the VW. Is what I am experiencing just a result of the first generation PDK system in the 2009 car versus the more modern VW system I was used to? I hear that the PDK system adapts to the driver, and hopefully it happens, but I don't know how this memory system works and if I can reset it to forget the previous owner's driving style. Lastly, I'm trying to "adapt" my own brain to the paddle shifters; in the VW both shifters are behind the wheel one side goes upshifts and one side downshifts - I've come to realize that on the 911 there are duplicate paddles (buttons) on the back and front of the steering wheel so the shifting can be done with one hand. Unfortunately until I learn, I keep double downshifting with my left hand on the button behind the wheel and then accidentally downshifting again when my right hand goes for the same button. Always a bad feeling to realize that I'm in 2nsd gear when I want to be in 4th! Maybe I'll stick to the gear shifter for now.

Thanks for your time and responses to these newbie questions.

Andy

Old 01-02-2018, 10:48 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the Targa club!

Yes, the PDK does “learn”, and I believe there is a way to reset the system. I just did a quick search and found a couple of threads related to ten PDK and crappy shifting. The first thread has a procedure to reset the system. There was also a software update available at one point. Here’s the links:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/952549-pdk-reset.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-1st-gear.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ty-issues.html

With regard to the shifter buttons- yes, they suck. I replaced my steering wheel with a proper paddle shift wheel from Suncoast. Left paddle shifts down, right shifts up, the way it’s supposed to be. The steering wheel cost ~$1000 and it is an easy DIY install that takes about 15 minutes to do. There is a DIY thread on this site if you do a search.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 231 Posts

I only drive in manual made with my PDK (09 C2S). However, when in Sport and auto it has always shifted to my liking. Initially, I had a similar experience, so I switched to the paddle steering wheel (easy DIY for $1,000) and the shifting experience vastly improved. I also found after my PDK service, that the PDK shifts much smoother and "crisper". You can always ask for a PDK recalibration, and then it should learn your PDK habits better.
Old 01-02-2018, 11:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

1 - Drive it in M (manual) sequential mode and shift at will

2- In D mode use your right foot to accelerate - the PDK D controller is adaptive and it will learn with you.

You do not say, but chances are your car does not have Sport Chrono Plus. You can get it installed at your dealer, to give you Sport, Sport Plus, which will give you more aggressive shifting and more.

Regarding redundant buttons (what you have) and paddles... redundant buttons are more flexible (consistent functionality no matter how the steering wheel is turned) if you understand the design and are not swayed with me-too conventional designs.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,151 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
1 - Drive it in M (manual) sequential mode and shift at will

2- In D mode use your right foot to accelerate - the PDK D controller is adaptive and it will learn with you.

You do not say, but chances are your car does not have Sport Chrono Plus. You can get it installed at your dealer, to give you Sport, Sport Plus, which will give you more aggressive shifting and more.

Regarding redundant buttons (what you have) and paddles... redundant buttons are more flexible (consistent functionality no matter how the steering wheel is turned) if you understand the design and are not swayed with me-too conventional designs.
I'm with Tony regarding the buttons, but admit that we are in the minority. Pam's AMG has paddles and I'm good with those too. But it always feels good to get back into the 997 with its buttons.

Downshift with the accelerator. Comfort mode pushes CAFE, but you can manually over ride whenever you want (which lasts 8 seconds after you select a gear). Picture it as a manual transmission without the third pedal. It is dynamic and offers many different driving options and styles in a single package.

Most importantly, get out there and drive.

BTW ... Pictures or it never happened!!!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:56 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

As ADias said, I bet your car doesn't have sport chrono. If it does you'll have a "sport" and a "sport plus" button on the lower center console and if factory installed, a timer on the dashboard. Without that the PDK is a miserably system. Slow and sluggish to the point that I don't think the car should have been sold in that configuration. If you don't have it you can have it installed for about $1K less the useless dashboard timer.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:56 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

I have 2017 GTI with DSG, and it's decent, but very different animal from the PDK, the PDK does like to upshift into a higher gear when in auto mode, mostly for fuel economy. I disagree the base car is sluggish, it really depends on your inputs, it's a really intuitive gearbox and in the manual mode it can really deliver positive shifts when pushed.

If your trotting around town it's docile, but in the Manual mode at high revs it's great, the GTI gets into the power band much sooner that the 911, where you really have to get to higher revs to feel the difference.
Old 01-03-2018, 04:38 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
I have 2017 GTI with DSG, and it's decent, but very different animal from the PDK, the PDK does like to upshift into a higher gear when in auto mode, mostly for fuel economy. I disagree the base car is sluggish, it really depends on your inputs, it's a really intuitive gearbox and in the manual mode it can really deliver positive shifts when pushed.
Right! PDK Auto (Normal) is adaptative, thus shifting follows the demands of the right and left pedals.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Orioles17
4th Gear

Originally Posted by F308gt4
Welcome to the Targa club!

Yes, the PDK does “learn”, and I believe there is a way to reset the system. I just did a quick search and found a couple of threads related to ten PDK and crappy shifting. The first thread has a procedure to reset the system. There was also a software update available at one point. Here’s the links:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/952549-pdk-reset.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-1st-gear.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ty-issues.html

With regard to the shifter buttons- yes, they suck. I replaced my steering wheel with a proper paddle shift wheel from Suncoast. Left paddle shifts down, right shifts up, the way it’s supposed to be. The steering wheel cost ~$1000 and it is an easy DIY install that takes about 15 minutes to do. There is a DIY thread on this site if you do a search.

Hope this helps.
That's really helpful, thanks!

I will try the reset soon - I just can't bring myself to do anything that requires sitting with the air conditioning on in three-minute intervals with the current east coast weather situation.

I did purchase the steering wheel with proper paddle shifters from Suncoast today.

Also, in response to some of the other posts, I do have the Sports Chrono Plus option on my car.

Thanks again
Old 01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Orioles17
That's really helpful, thanks!
Also, in response to some of the other posts, I do have the Sports Chrono Plus option on my car.

Thanks again
You have SC and complain about lazy shifting? Have you tried pushing the Sport button?

And incidentally... once you press the Sport button you may want to push the PASM button to return the suspension to the normal stiffness setting... For street use it is a 1-2 push - Sport followed by PASM.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:41 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your trotting around town it's docile, but in the Manual mode at high revs it's great, the GTI gets into the power band much sooner that the 911, where you really have to get to higher revs to feel the difference.
^^^^this .....in auto mode it does what it is supposed to do.......in manual mode you are supposed to rev da snot out of every gear so to get to the turn first.....bottom line just learn the throttle the trans will take it from there sans hbo drama
Old 01-03-2018, 08:08 PM
Orioles17
4th Gear

Very helpful to hear the apples to apples comparison, thank you for sharing your experience.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Orioles17
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ADias
You have SC and complain about lazy shifting? Have you tried pushing the Sport button?

And incidentally... once you press the Sport button you may want to push the PASM button to return the suspension to the normal stiffness setting... For street use it is a 1-2 push - Sport followed by PASM.
I'll be sure to try this. Maybe "lazy shifting" wasn't the right term, I'm not sure if those were my words, but I meant what voiceprint1 noted:

"the PDK does like to upshift into a higher gear when in auto mode"

The Sport button is great, but in truth I've only barely driven the car as I just got the winter tires fitted the other day (and just took delivery last week). The reason for my post was that in my very limited experience, auto mode was a race to 6th gear, sports mode was hovering around 3rd, and I was questioning whether or not there was a more dynamic automatic mode (something in between). Not complaining here, just trying to learn more about this great car from some folks with more experience than I.

Thanks again
Old 01-03-2018, 09:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Orioles17
I'll be sure to try this. Maybe "lazy shifting" wasn't the right term, I'm not sure if those were my words, but I meant what voiceprint1 noted:

"the PDK does like to upshift into a higher gear when in auto mode"

The Sport button is great, but in truth I've only barely driven the car as I just got the winter tires fitted the other day (and just took delivery last week). The reason for my post was that in my very limited experience, auto mode was a race to 6th gear, sports mode was hovering around 3rd, and I was questioning whether or not there was a more dynamic automatic mode (something in between). Not complaining here, just trying to learn more about this great car from some folks with more experience than I.

Thanks again

What you need to understand is what Wayne already told you above - SC Normal (default when car starts) upshifts very early all gears and maintains revs low. When you push Sport you changed to a spots shifting mode... Just try it and use it!

Moreover recall what I said re PASM above, when Sport is pressed...
Old 01-03-2018, 09:37 PM
okbarnett
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I would put it in S (or S+ if you are in a situation that can handle it) and let it do its thing. It cant shift fast if you are interfering with its programing. And if you are going to do all the shifting, you can just leave it in M. Only do some downshifting for braking.

Quick Reply: PDK Responsiveness in 09 Targa 4S