Sponsored by:

Something odd about PDK shifting from 1st Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 PM
will gaston
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Something odd about PDK shifting from 1st Gear

Ok, I’ve only had the car a month. a 2012 4S. it has about 30,000 miles on it. something strange seems to happen when I’m decelerating, and it’s shifted to 1st and I’m still moving…then when I start to accelerate again, it’s like it’s confused, wants to stay in first, the revs go up but the car isn’t really going much faster since the gear is so low, and is doesn’t seems to be eager to shift to 2nd…so, I let off on the gas and it shifts to 2nd. And all this is just normal driving – no lead foot. But it does seem to repeat itself….while moving in 1st at maybe 5 or 10 mph & when trying to accelerate…it’s weird. Could this be some kinda software thing? I have searched the forum history & can’t really find anything that addresses this…otherwise, the transmission seems to be doing what it’s intended to do. Any ideas? should i get it back to the dealer to take a look? Anyway…thanks.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Of course behaviour is different in normal, sport and sport plus mode. In sport plus it will rev to max before changing up.
I don't know how much you have driven it in the last month but these cars learn the driver's style, I have heard people disconnect the battery for a few minutes (may require adjustment of window travel etc after ) to reset the memory. In time it will learn your style anyway.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:31 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds like you may have accidentally bumped the shift button.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM
will gaston
Track Day

maybe i need to calm down. haha
Old 08-05-2014, 08:40 PM
will gaston
Track Day

oh - and yes, this is in Sport mode.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:21 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Well yes of course. If you are in Sport Mode you have to modulate your throttle as the PDK stays longer in each gear unless you manage it also with the loud pedal. It will also decelerate upon braking, how hard and how low depends on brake pressure.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:24 AM
MY997
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Survey says "#1 Answer"

Originally Posted by ogun228
Well yes of course. If you are in Sport Mode you have to modulate your throttle as the PDK stays longer in each gear unless you manage it also with the loud pedal. It will also decelerate upon braking, how hard and how low depends on brake pressure.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Remember even though PDK has a automatic mode it doesn't behave exactly like a true slush box smooth slow old automatic.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

What your experiencing is the PDK transmission acting like a PDK transmission. This in my opinion and based on my pdk (2009) is normal. You shouldn't get frustrated but you will have to learn more about how your car's personality translates to what you are getting while driving. Mine does the same but I've learned some tricks on how to accelerate in sports mode, how to brake, when to use it when it acts up. I suggest waiting until the temp is 200 or a warm engine before using sport Mode. When showing down try to stay away from 1st in sport mode by continueing its forward motion above the shift point to downshift to 1st. Of course this isn't always possible when coming to an almost stop. It will downshift to first and stay there. You should then upshift using your paddle immediatley that will get it out of first and into its normal shift sequence. Also have you tried driving in the manual mode? I find that a lot of fun and very smooth. Downshifts to first occur automatically upon stopping. Enjoy the car and drive it in all the modes.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:40 PM
will gaston
Track Day

Thanks Dartmouth! that makes sense....it's as you describe...
Old 08-06-2014, 12:55 PM
will gaston
Track Day

from ogun228:
the loud pedal.
this is actually one of my favorite features of this car. Like i said previously, it's why God gave us ears.

Quick Reply: Something odd about PDK shifting from 1st Gear