Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 03:11 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I'm not sure how you take this statement
Originally Posted by Dennis C
Back to the original point of this thread - my 2008 997 had a 6MT. I wouldn’t have purchased that car if it had a Tiptronic gearbox.
and them come up with this conclusion...
Originally Posted by f911
Finally an honest answer. TIP S is excellent.
...but whatever makes you happy I guess. I have half a mind to start a new thread with 3 choices (MT with clutch pedal, PDK, & Tiptronic) so we can get to the actual intent of the original post - oh, what the h*ll, here it is - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...with-poll.html
Old 12-05-2017, 03:37 PM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I'm not sure how you take this statement

and them come up with this conclusion...

...but whatever makes you happy I guess. I have half a mind to start a new thread with 3 choices (MT with clutch pedal, PDK, & Tiptronic) so we can get to the actual intent of the original post - oh, what the h*ll, here it is - https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...with-poll.html
The conclusion is my personal opinion.
Not related to the statement. I still think he answered honestly and respects it.

I also prefer MT but there are constraints that I searched for automatically with manual control.

Obviously, if there is a budget and responsibility, PDK is preferable ...

Anyone who chooses the PDK also accepts TIP S (If you can understand what I mean).

997.1 - No inc PDK ... So the comparison between MT and PDK versus TIP S is irrelevant.

The comparison should be 3 pedal or 2 pedal (MT mode).

[By the way. In this current post, I chose MT. Not AUTO. Because I do not drive in AUTO and I prefer MT or manual control (Tip s or pdk).]
Old 12-05-2017, 03:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Anyone who chooses the PDK also accepts TIP S (If you can understand what I mean).
Not true. There are many of us that would not even consider a Tip in our 911, like me, like the quote from Dennis C - we would have looked to find another car, either the same 997.1 vintage with MT or decided we had to go a generation newer to get PDK.

I'm my newly posted poll thread I bet the Tip option gets fewer than 5 votes and maybe only the 1 from you.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:25 PM
f911
Racer

Not true. There are many of us that would not even consider a Tip in our 911, like me, like the quote from Dennis C - we would have looked to find another car, either the same 997.1 vintage with MT or decided we had to go a generation newer to get PDK.

I'm my newly posted poll thread I bet the Tip option gets fewer than 5 votes and maybe only the 1 from you.
​​​​​​​So you did not understand what I meant.
I'm not mistaken. This is true.

I will try again:

TIP S exists only at 997.1 and below. Anyone looking for 997.1 (no matter for what reason), and looking for an automaton with manual control of the steering wheel (2 pedals) will buy TIP S. After he learns to drive the TIP S, I assure you that he will also be satisfied.

I'm not saying that. In every article (in a real-time magazine) they say it. It is not for nothing that Porsche manufactured 911 with TIP S and developed it for more than 20 years !!!

Today, it is clear that those who can prefer PDK. Because it is faster, more advanced technology.

But try to "throw" yourself for 2005. PDK did not exist in 997.
And I'll take you to a more extreme situation. Anyone who has a problem (for any reason) drive with 3 pedals. What is he doing in 2005?

Do you understand?

In the heart. Just manual. In DD: the transmission system TIP S and PDK (the same rationale) work excellent relative to the period.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So you did not understand what I meant.
I'm not mistaken. This is true.

I will try again:

TIP S exists only at 997.1 and below. Anyone looking for 997.1 (no matter for what reason), and looking for an automaton with manual control of the steering wheel (2 pedals) will buy TIP S. After he learns to drive the TIP S, I assure you that he will also be satisfied.

I'm not saying that. In every article (in a real-time magazine) they say it. It is not for nothing that Porsche manufactured 911 with TIP S and developed it for more than 20 years !!!

Today, it is clear that those who can prefer PDK. Because it is faster, more advanced technology.

But try to "throw" yourself for 2005. PDK did not exist in 997.
And I'll take you to a more extreme situation. Anyone who has a problem (for any reason) drive with 3 pedals. What is he doing in 2005?

Do you understand?

In the heart. Just manual. In DD: the transmission system TIP S and PDK (the same rationale) work excellent relative to the period.
Yes, now I understand your point, however, we're not in 2005 or 2008 for that matter, so someone looking for a used 911 today has a choice between 3 transmissions - any generation they want with a MT (unless 991.1 GT3), a 2008 or older car with a Tip, and a 2009 or newer car with a PDK. My point is that most people looking for something other than a Manual transmission, will move up to the .2 cars in order to get the PDK - no one is selecting the Tiptronic as their transmission of choice unless influenced by some other factor, cost - that restricts them to only being able to afford a 997.1 or 996, limited # of cars available in their area, or some other factor.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:44 PM
f911
Racer

Yes, now I understand your point, however, we're not in 2005 or 2008 for that matter, so someone looking for a used 911 today has a choice between 3 transmissions - any generation they want with a MT (unless 991.1 GT3), a 2008 or older car with a Tip, and a 2009 or newer car with a PDK. My point is that most people looking for something other than a Manual transmission, will move up to the .2 cars in order to get the PDK - no one is selecting the Tiptronic as their transmission of choice unless influenced by some other factor, cost - that restricts them to only being able to afford a 997.1 or 996, limited # of cars available in their area, or some other factor.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

My opinion, and is only important to me is "Any Transmission that can be put into a fully automated state is an automatic transmission. "

I have a PDK and even though it has two clutch packs its an automatic in my mind. The fact that one is better over the other is irrelevant. Yes the Tip and the PDK can be driven in a fully manual mode, This does not make them a MT. A MT can not be driven in an automatic mode.

If you still cant get it , then just because man can fly, does that make him a bird? NO

Dam , I must be bored, but this is a fun discussion.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:41 PM
daxbox
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting how there's almost a 'stigma' associated with having an 'automatic'. That being said, poll would be interesting if it were manual / tip / PDK...

After a consistent string of choosing manuals for my fun/performance cars, I thought a PDK would the right choice for my Porsche. My thought process: now matter how great of a shifter you are, you can't beat the performance of a PDK. Yes, give up on a little bit of the driving dynamics, but in return, there's that feeling of precision and accuracy that is such a confidence builder. You can concentrate on the other parts of driving; launching, heel-toe and rev-matching are fun, but my last name isn't Senna and so I'm not always successful at those skills and I end up thinking about it too much... PDK lets me enjoy the other aspects of spirited driving (braking, balance, turn-in, a bit of oversteer, etc). Yes, sometimes PDK doesn't guess right... but still better than me .
Old 12-05-2017, 11:18 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Yep, I would never have a sports car with a tiptronic.

The tiptronic is quicker in the 997.1 turbo due to gearing and being able to remain on boost longer in each gear, albeit by only 0.1 second in the 1/4 mile according to C/D testing.

The manual would be quicker with the same gearing as the tiptronic. The tiptronic would be ultra shuitty with the manual's gearing.

First gear needs to be taller in both the 996 and 997 turbos with manuals. Boost comes on and it is in the red line to quickly. The tiptronic holds it longer and has less shifts or gears to row through to hit top speed. I changed gearing in my 2001 turbo that we got up to 750 hp. First gear was in my Ruf 550 2004 996 turbo cabriolet and not much better when stock hp.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:40 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

OK, in reading another one of these threads on MT vs PDK vs Manual, I have come up with two definitive tests to end all of the arguing - you ready....

You sure, because it's a doozie...

If you can upshift from any lower forward gear to any higher forward gear without going through all the gears in between, you have a Manual Transmission - anything else is not a manual transmission. See this eliminates the PDK because although it can actually skip gears when downshifting (i.e. 4th straight to 2nd without a stopover in 3rd), it cannot do that when upshifting and the Tiptronic can't do it when either upshifting or downshifting and has to make a stop in each and every gear.
You're exactly right.. Tried it today. Thought for sure you could could make the PDK skip gears upshifting by going from sport plus to normal but it makes a quick stop in second and then just as quickly to 5th or 6th gear depending on where you switched off sport plus. Doesn't skip any gear though as it sometimes does downshifting.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
You're exactly right.. Tried it today. Thought for sure you could could make the PDK skip gears upshifting by going from sport plus to normal but it makes a quick stop in second and then just as quickly to 5th or 6th gear depending on where you switched off sport plus. Doesn't skip any gear though as it sometimes does downshifting.
Thanks for confirming - since I don't have a PDK, couldn't test the theory myself.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:04 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Doug H
Yep, I would never have a sports car with a tiptronic.

The tiptronic is quicker in the 997.1 turbo due to gearing and being able to remain on boost longer in each gear, albeit by only 0.1 second in the 1/4 mile according to C/D testing.

The manual would be quicker with the same gearing as the tiptronic. The tiptronic would be ultra shuitty with the manual's gearing.

First gear needs to be taller in both the 996 and 997 turbos with manuals. Boost comes on and it is in the red line to quickly. The tiptronic holds it longer and has less shifts or gears to row through to hit top speed. I changed gearing in my 2001 turbo that we got up to 750 hp. First gear was in my Ruf 550 2004 996 turbo cabriolet and not much better when stock hp.
All tests ("on paper") refer to Tip s in D mode.

997TT TIP S is faster than 997 MT (in each situation, both D and manual control).

CARRERA S TIP S 997.1 with Chrono Sport (The software changes the map of the tip s) & M mode (manual control) faster than CARRERA S MT 997.1.
At the very least, there is no difference.

From experience. like I said. D in C2S, very disappointing. In the mode with manual control the story is different. Especially when you start your first gear..

Quick Reply: MT vs Auto