Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 CS 6 speed or 997 TT tip

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,024 Likes on 727 Posts

in my opinion, TIP S (the latest version of TIP) is better than PDK V1 (first version of PDK).

Seriously? Really?
Old 01-17-2018, 02:03 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In terms of cost-effectiveness. Yes.
PDK replaced the TIP S and this is a more advanced transmission system than TIP S. There is no dispute about this.
But, in Porsche 997.1 there is no PDK.
So, if your consideration is to look long term I would consider 997.1 TIP or MT. Reliability and good maintenance And it is not at the expense of performance. Certainly a different style (2 pedals or 3 pedals).
Today, if I was looking for 997.2 (2008-2011 except GTS), I would look for MT.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
in my opinion, TIP S (the latest version of TIP) is better than PDK V1 (first version of PDK).

Seriously? Really?
sandwedge, don't get sucked in.

Look up all his other posts - he's the biggest Tip fan boy you'll find, and 90% of his posts are singing its praises. Bringing up points about how a C2S with tip is actually slower than a c2 MT and an interview with Walter Rohrl after a drive in one with less than stellar things to say just get countered with more praises. You'll just end up feeling like Sisyphus.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:24 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
sandwedge, don't get sucked in.

Look up all his other posts - he's the biggest Tip fan boy you'll find, and 90% of his posts are singing its praises. Bringing up points about how a C2S with tip is actually slower than a c2 MT and an interview with Walter Rohrl after a drive in one with less than stellar things to say just get countered with more praises. You'll just end up feeling like Sisyphus.
I'm far from being a "fan boy". I did not expect you.
Remind you, you're the one you lost in the intervention you created. Your behavior is Fan Boy LOL

Keep in mind...:
# 63
Petza914
"I'm my newly posted poll thread I bet the Tip option gets fewer than 5 votes and maybe only the 1 from you."

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...t-vs-auto.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...with-poll.html

True, it is important for me to say what I think about the TIP S just as some people defame the TIP S even without knowing the gear system and worse, without driving in TIP S.

By the way, all my other vehicles are MT and probably my next Porsche will be MT or PDK.

Have a nice day
Old 01-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f911
​​​

By the way, all my other vehicles are MT and probably my next Porsche will be MT or PDK.

Have a nice day
See, even you don't want another one
Old 01-17-2018, 10:55 AM
f911
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
See, even you don't want another one
There is no substitute for a manual transmission system. Two different things. There is no such thing as good or bad.
It's a matter of preference and style of driving. For the tenth time.
I also enjoy the TIPS in DD, in traffic jams and on weekends and on the track.
I obviously do not need additional 997 TIPS. Unnecessary.
I really think it's time to stop with the defamation and talk matter-of-fact about TIP S / MT / PDK.
There are many RLs that are used on MT / PDK / TIP S. The common camp of everyone they love Porsche and especially 997 in this forum. Everyone chooses what suits him from his considerations. A little respect will not hurt.
My next or additional Porsche will probably be GTS or GT3 (hopefully I will continue with the 997 platform) + 993 MT.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My next or additional Porsche will probably be GTS or GT3 (hopefully I will continue with the 997 platform) + 993 MT.
Those are excellent choices !
Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 6 speed 3 pedal manual 997 S is one of the most engaging cars I have ever driven. I would take it hands down over the 997TT automatic/ tip.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

True, it is important for me to say what I think about the TIP S just as some people defame the TIP S even without knowing the gear system and worse, without driving in TIP S.

It's ok if that's important to you but do you still stand by your assessment that the TIP S is a better transmission than the first (2009 MY) version of the PDK? If the answer is yes, how is it better and if you really think it's better, why do you think they discontinued production of it in favor of the PDK? Last question: The percentage of TIP cars versus manuals sold on the 997.1 cars was a very small number. Once the PDK was introduced in 2009 that ratio was almost completely reversed. How is that explained?
Old 01-18-2018, 09:04 AM
KeepItTidy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same position as you 2 years ago.
My old man had a 997 TT tip cab which I drove often enough but I was ready for my own 911.
I had a choice of taking his car or buying the N/A 6 speed version. (for the same money)

For me it was an easy choice for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is beacuse I ****ing hate the tip box.
its Always in the wrong gear when you want to take a gap.
If it was the PDK that would be a different story (I am not against auto boxes)
However I feel for a weekend car the 6 speed is Way way better than the Tip.
Also the N/A cars sound way better then the raspy noisy turbo's.
Also i hate the triangle (MF) steering wheels :/
there are a couple of other reasons that sway'd me but thats my take on it.

Anyway, 2 years with my C4s Manual and my dad still has his TT and I wouldnt swap, not evern for an afternoon.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:55 AM
f911
Racer

It's ok if that's important to you but do you still stand by your assessment that the TIP S is a better transmission than the first (2009 MY) version of the PDK? If the answer is yes, how is it better and if you really think it's better, why do you think they discontinued production of it in favor of the PDK? Last question: The percentage of TIP cars versus manuals sold on the 997.1 cars was a very small number. Once the PDK was introduced in 2009 that ratio was almost completely reversed. How is that explained?
You probably did not understand me or I was not clear. Look at all my posts on the subject.
There is no dispute that pdk is an advanced transmission system and better than tip s.
It is newer and faster. This does not mean that tip s is "not good". These are completely different periods. See, for example, the evolution of the gears in Ferrari and in any other company. AMG also changed the technology and chose a new system based on completely different technology (not TC and not DC..).
For your second question: Porsche produced and developed the TIP for more than 20 years! Porsche has greatly upgraded the Tiptronic over the years. Initially, the manufacturer was ZF and after changed to MB...
It's true that the sales ratio has changed,
The reason is because the old TIP was very primitive compared to TIP S which performed very well. Especially in 997TT. The performance are better than MT in every parameter (both in D and M mode).
The sales ratio had changed between the PDK and TIP S due to the period and customers preferences.
By the way, sales of gt3 less than tt means that tt is better than gt3, obviously not. (Two different things depend on preferences and period, also on the basis of the same rationale).
In addition, a manual transmission system has also changed over the years. 4-speed, 5-speed, 6-speed and 7-speed transmission.
For 997. In terms of long-term reliability and experience of many friends who have experienced failures. In my opinion 997.1 tip s have an advantage at this point over 997.2 pdk v1.
Porsche is always advanced. TIP S (last version) does the job well once you know how to drive it correctly. TIP S mode D pretty disappointing. In contrast, PDK is indicated in each situation. Both in M ​​and D mode. Another reason why the ratio was reversed.

Last edited by f911; 01-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

You probably did not understand me or I was not clear. Look at all my posts on the subject..
How do you misunderstand this that you wrote: "in my opinion, TIP S (the latest version of TIP) is better than PDK V1 (first version of PDK).

There's no misunderstanding it. You say very clearly that you think the TIP S is a better transmission than the first version of the PDK. Your attempt to explain why you think so is not quiet as clear though. What exactly does this mean? (From your last post on the subject): Porsche is always advanced. TIP S (last version) does the job well once you know how to drive it correctly. TIP S mode D pretty disappointing. In contrast, PDK is indicated in each situation. Both in M ​​and D mode

PDK is indicated in each situation. Both in M ​​and D mode....???? "Indicated in each situation"??
Old 01-20-2018, 05:52 AM
f911
Racer

How do you misunderstand this that you wrote: "in my opinion, TIP S (the latest version of TIP) is better than PDK V1 (first version of PDK).

There's no misunderstanding it. You say very clearly that you think the TIP S is a better transmission than the first version of the PDK. Your attempt to explain why you think so is not quiet as clear though. What exactly does this mean? (From your last post on the subject): Porsche is always advanced. TIP S (last version) does the job well once you know how to drive it correctly. TIP S mode D pretty disappointing. In contrast, PDK is indicated in each situation. Both in M ​​and D mode

PDK is indicated in each situation. Both in M ​​and D mode....???? "Indicated in each situation"??
I am very quiet. Make a distinction between maximum performance and reliability and maintenance (long-term) compared to Tip s and pdk v1. In addition, at 997tt, performance is not affected.
In terms of cost-benefit, reliability and maintenance (long-term) I prefer 997.1 tip s than 997.2 pdk. In carrera s / 4s gear in D mode is disappointing.
I never drive in D so it's not relevant to me..
The PDK transmission system works fine both in D and M.
By the way, not all places can accept responsibility for the PDK v1.
I personally prefer both c2s than c4s. In addition, there is no comparison between manual transmission system and pdk / tip s.
Anyone who thinks he travels in PDK and it's like a manual lies to himself. In short, everything is a matter of personal preference.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:06 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KrazyK
If you had your choice for a every so often weekend car would you prefer a 997 Carrera S with a six speed or a 997 TT with tip? The TT's with six speed seem to be harder to find at this time. The car would not be a DD or bad weather driver. Would probably be parked inside and cranked every few days or so when not driven.
I'm aware of the power difference but know the 3.8L in the CS seems to have decent power for a 997. After the headaches of owning a 996, I wont be going down that road again. Any opinions?
This is way too easy, Manual 6-speed. If you said, daily driving, in congested city... I'd then pick the TT with Tip, in no other usage it would be preferable.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6 speed.
And treat it well.
I only buy 6 speeds.
Because I will want to a new one as time goes on (and mine wears out).
Keep the mileage low please and thank you.

Quick Reply: 997 CS 6 speed or 997 TT tip