Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 04:01 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

I only wash all my vehicles by hand myself only. I use a pressure washer with a foam cannon and foaming soap.
  • Wash - Blackfire foam soap
  • Dry - Chemical Guys after wash w/microfiber towel
  • Clean - Wolfgang clay bar & lubricant (to strip wax & sealant and remove any gunk on the paint)
  • Polish - Menzerna SF 3800 w/Lake Country white polishing pad; remove with microfiber cloth
  • Seal - Wolfgang concours deep gloss paint sealant w/Lake Country black finishing pad; remove with microfiber cloth
  • Wax - BlackFire BlackIce hybrid montan sealant wax w/Lake Country blue final finishing pad; remove with microfiber cloth
  • Wheels - Chemical Guys max coat wheel guard
  • Tires - Meguiars hot shine reflect foam
  • Glass - Diamondite Glasswork kit
  • Lenses - Wolfgang concours plastic lens kit
  • Leather - Lexol leather cleaner & Lexol leather conditioner

I only clay before a polish, polish as needed, seal every 6 mos, and wax 1x/mo. Polish, seal, and wax are done with my Porter cable 7424XP.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Fisher7508
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

made the mistake once on my previous 997.1 of going to an automated car wash...was in a hurry to go to an appointment. rear wheels were too wide for tracks and damaged the wheels...it got jammed in the tunnel and they had to use chainfalls to pull it out.......will never do that again

do wheels, wheel wells and tires first , separate bucket, wheel woolies, brushes, etc
Adams foam cannon and Chemical guys car wash
Clean water bucket to rinse the wool wash mit
detail brush to get around the badges and letters
dry with microfiber towel after spraying with adams detail spray
always in the shade..or if the sun is out keep it wet and dry in the garage
battery powered leaf blower to blow out excess water from mirrors, badges, wheels, lights
wax once per quarter......clay bar if the paint feels contaminated
havent transitioned to ceramic yet
many different tire protectants...typically tire wet or chemical guys gel
Old 05-07-2020, 09:27 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Fisher7508
made the mistake once on my previous 997.1 of going to an automated car wash...was in a hurry to go to an appointment. rear wheels were too wide for tracks and damaged the wheels...it got jammed in the tunnel and they had to use chainfalls to pull it out.......will never do that again

do wheels, wheel wells and tires first , separate bucket, wheel woolies, brushes, etc
battery powered leaf blower to blow out excess water from mirrors, badges, wheels, lights
Fisher, just so I'm clear, you'll spray the Adams Detail spray on wet surfaces and then dry with a microfiber? You don't take any of the water off before doing so?

Sorry, have just read similar types of strategies on here and have not fully understood.

Thx!
Old 05-07-2020, 09:32 PM
Fisher7508
Intermediate

yes, thats exactly how i do it. if there is excessive water, i may use the blower to blow some of the water off just to keep from soaking the towel . (i am a big fan of the microfiber waffle towels...they hold alot of water). the spray gives the towel additional lubricant to keep from scratching the surfaces. it also gives it a little more shine.
The following users liked this post:
VT Blue (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 09:33 PM
VT Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 197 Posts

yes, thats exactly how i do it. if there is excessive water, i may use the blower to blow some of the water off just to keep from soaking the towel . (i am a big fan of the microfiber waffle towels...they hold alot of water). the spray gives the towel additional lubricant to keep from scratching the surfaces. it also gives it a little more shine.
Perfect. Thanks, again. Very helpful.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:42 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

Some great recommendations.

Regarding the "detail brush" noted above - I would recommend going with one that has natural bristles. Synthetic bristles can scratch the surrounding paint.

Here's one that would work. There are many choices...

Amazon Amazon

Old 05-07-2020, 09:47 PM
Fisher7508
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ironman88
Some great recommendations.

Regarding the "detail brush" noted above - I would recommend going with one that has natural bristles. Synthetic bristles can scratch the surrounding paint.

Here's one that would work. There are many choices...

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys...omotive&sr=1-4

couldnt agree more
Old 05-12-2020, 04:15 AM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish I had the time to wash my car myself!! Who is the best mobile detailer here in Los Angeles? I can't find any threads for mobile detailers? I want to do a ceramic coat but want it done by the best. Who do you guys trust?

By the way I got the Dupont Protection Plan on my wife's G550 through the dealer when I bought the car and it has clearly failed. I think it's a total scam, i don't think they every put the thing on...
Old 05-13-2020, 04:47 AM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by SHAY2N10
I wish I had the time to wash my car myself!! Who is the best mobile detailer here in Los Angeles? I can't find any threads for mobile detailers? I want to do a ceramic coat but want it done by the best. Who do you guys trust?

By the way I got the Dupont Protection Plan on my wife's G550 through the dealer when I bought the car and it has clearly failed. I think it's a total scam, i don't think they every put the thing on...
I have been using a mobile detailer for many years. The owner's name is Ara and his detailing business is called "Final Touch Pro". Ara is a really great and friendly guy with many years of experience detailing high end cars. He has become a friend over the years and is my go to detailer for all my cars and for when I go to a PCA concourse or special car event. Ara has entered several Porsches for other clients in PCA Concourse judging events as well. Here are a few yelp reviews and his contact number (just added a yelp review myself). He has seen and done it all and is very knowledgeable. Highly recommend Ara and Final touch pro.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/final-touch-pro-burbank

Here was a pic taken a couple days after he did a detail for me. In fact, any pic I share where my car looks detailed was probably taken after Ara detailed it.

Ironman88 (05-13-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 11:45 AM
SHAY2N10
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you so much! Anyone else considered the "Best Mobile Detailer"?
Old 06-05-2020, 12:08 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I ALWAYS wash our cars myself. Back in the winter 1990-91 I had a black Alfa Romeo company car and was up in Buffalo to see a client and take him to lunch. I HAD TO get it washed.at a Car Wash. No recollection if it was "brushless" if they even had those then. I was NEVER able to get the paint back to good condition.

Then there was the hidden-on-the-inside-of-the-wheels damage to my Maserati from previous owner's use of a Car Wash. It took me a while to repair and re-paint them to my satisfaction.

The other advantage to washing your own car is seeing EVERY new imperfection. See it early and get it fixed.
Old 07-06-2020, 05:28 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 127 Posts

As a recent member to the Porsche owners community, I have been using the following procedure on my 2016 Jag XF R-Sport. I have a local self serve car wash, a fairly new facility, that I have used for the past three years with excellent results. They have a PRE-SOAK cycle that I use first that works wonders on all types of grime in breaking it loose. I thorough wet the car with the pre-soak covering every surface. Then I switch to SOAP which cleans the car wonderfully. Now switch to RINSE and then SPOT FREE RINSE. Car comes out spectacular with a beautiful shine.

I then drive home, blow any excess hidden water out and dry off any excess. Then I use my favorite detailer or spray wax and finish the car. Final clean to the windows and within an hour the car is sparkling. I haven't had any issues with my previous cars and only did the 911S one time, using the above technique and it worked fine. No contact. no brush or sponge, nothing but water and elbow grease to finish. Came out like I thought. I really love the PRE-SOAK as it cuts everything in its path from road grime to brake dust.

Thoughts and comments are appreciated,

Tom in Reno
Old 07-07-2020, 09:02 PM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Foam Cannon - FTW

OK - I’ll play...

Chemical Guys Mr. Pink and my Foam Cannon hooked up to my power washer is an easy & efficient way to clean any vehicle (and fun too!) A single pass through the thick creamy foam with a microfiber mitt that gets rinsed before each pass ensures no scratches or swirls are introduced. Then a second foaming followed by a thorough rinse is all it takes. A quick blast with my backpack leaf blower and then final dry with microfiber towel and it’s all clean & shiny.

BTW - Just as important as the products & method is good clean water so be sure to use an inline water filter to make sure there are no contaminates introduced that will cause spots.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:21 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,174 Posts

No self-service car wash. Soaps / chemicals are harsh and over time mess up finishes.

Three buckets.
1) For wheels only. Wheel woolies. Microfiber cloth.
2) CarPro Reset. Use this for the overall car - with a microfiber mitt.
3) 5 Gallon - clear water only. Used to rinse microfiber mitt.

Foam blaster (per several posts back on this thread.) I like Mr. Pink with this. I shoot down the car and let it sit while I wash the wheels / tires.

The car has a ceramic finish. Wheels also. I've been using Meguire's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer after washing. Absolutely great stuff and reasonably priced - about $15 on Amazon. Highly recommended.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:20 PM
tmarino
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 127 Posts

Ironman88,

I'll give your methodology a shot, sounds good. I have only had the car for less than 2 weeks and have only been to the SS wash a few times. You point is taken in regards to the chemicals. The car is going in next week for paint correction, PPF reowrk and ceramic coating. Hopefully that gives me the protection I will need for daily use.
Thanks for the tips,

Tom in Reno
Ironman88 (07-07-2020)

Quick Reply: How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?