Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 02:34 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 732 Posts

Pressure washer gets wheels pretty clean. Takes most of the dirt of the body. Minimizes risk of scratching the wax with residue when washing with Meguires wash and wax.

California squeegee removes most of the water allowing a single waffle weave towel to do the rest. Wolfgang spritz makes a nice finishing touch.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 AM
MaximumA
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I hand wash my cars. But I don't have the patience to polish and wax etc. I just use shampoo with wax and a detailers spray.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Hand wash only, silicone squeegee dry. Sonax wheel cleaner. Armor All brake dust repellant spray on the wheels. Maguires Hot shine tire spray.

Clay bar, polish, and wax once a year with Opticoat spray every 4-6 months. Black cars get Turtle Wax Jet Black treatment - unbelievably good on black cars.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:00 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Hand wash only, silicone squeegee dry. Sonax wheel cleaner. Armor All brake dust repellant spray on the wheels. Maguires Hot shine tire spray.

Clay bar, polish, and wax once a year with Opticoat spray every 4-6 months. Black cars get Turtle Wax Jet Black treatment - unbelievably good on black cars.

Great information from all of you.

Wow, nice results here. RJ
Old 11-17-2017, 10:47 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Are you able to get the wheels clean with just the pressure washer, or do you have to hand wash them?
How do you do the even deeper S wheels on the inside. Pressure wash works there or manually with something? Looks like an area that will constantly be getting dirty. RJ
Old 11-17-2017, 11:45 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Optimum No Rinse. It will change the way you wash cars forever (assuming your car isn't that dirty). One bucket of liquid is all you need.

I only take my car to a car wash when I want more swirl marks! (NEVER)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:46 AM
jdgamble
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
How do you do the even deeper S wheels on the inside. Pressure wash works there or manually with something? Looks like an area that will constantly be getting dirty. RJ
You really need a brush to clean the wheel barrels. It only takes a minute with the correct tool.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 PM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been researching this topic as i just picked up my 'new' 997. I have not read what folks do if they come home in the rain and park in the garage. The car is likely dirty and so wiping it down with a microfiber is not a good idea, so do you just let it air dry in the garage or rinse it in the rain and then wipe it down in the garage? If I rinse it with a hose while its raining and then dry it in the garage my wife will think I am completely crazy!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:05 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Car wash??!! OMG...forgive this man for such heresy! : ) Hand wash only. Foam/suds all around first. Then two-bucket-approach hand wash, followed by blow dry and style. Wheels always take the longest...aftermarkets, not the lobster fork stocks.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:33 PM
jeffrec
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't let my 911 get within 5 miles of a car wash. Heck I wouldn't even let a Porsche dealer wash my car. Two bucket method, soft wash mitt, terry cloth towels to dry. I have a basalt black Macan and a silver 997.2, and need not deal with swirl marks. Of course I am also OCD about my cars, won't even drive them if they are dirty!!!
Old 11-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Greyghost230
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by heatz
I have been researching this topic as i just picked up my 'new' 997. I have not read what folks do if they come home in the rain and park in the garage. The car is likely dirty and so wiping it down with a microfiber is not a good idea, so do you just let it air dry in the garage or rinse it in the rain and then wipe it down in the garage? If I rinse it with a hose while its raining and then dry it in the garage my wife will think I am completely crazy!
Uh, yea. We ARE completely crazy. That's why we hang out here to learn from the craziest.
"or rinse it in the rain and then wipe it down in the garage"
I have done this enough times, my neighbours just don't ask...
Old 11-17-2017, 01:44 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 956 Posts

My cars are adult driven, garaged, climate controlled of course, never seen redline or rain, dry detailer product washed with special fiber cloth imported from a Tibetan Monk.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:58 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

I'm getting it. Do it yourself with the right quality products. Great tips so far guys on what you use. Thanks. RJ
Old 11-17-2017, 02:01 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Optimum No Rinse. It will change the way you wash cars forever (assuming your car isn't that dirty). One bucket of liquid is all you need.

I only take my car to a car wash when I want more swirl marks! (NEVER)
Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine or Optimum No Rinse Wash & Wax? Both? Either?
Old 11-17-2017, 02:06 PM
max540i
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Optimum No Rinse. ...
I'm also a big fan of Optimum No Rinse, it's quick and easy.
You really need a brush to clean the wheel barrels. It only takes a minute with the correct tool.
Washing the 911 body is almost fun, however, washing the wheels (Sport Design) is a PITA, i've yet to find a brush that does the trick, any suggestions?

Quick Reply: How do you guys clean/wash your Porsche? Self? Car Wash? Other?