Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has your PDK Failed? If so, at what mileage?
PDK has failed - Under 30,000 miles
2.11%
PDK has failed - Between 30,000 - 50,000 miles
2.11%
PDK has failed - Over 50,000 miles
5.26%
PDK hasn't failed
90.53%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

997.2 PDK failure Survey

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:54 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ehandschuh
2009 C2 PDK failure at 80,000 miles. Transmission throws an error code (P1733) when it reaches 60C, goes into limp home mode and once in park won't go back in gear until the code is cleared and transmission cools down. The 3rd shift rod distance sensor error is the problem and it is internal to the transmission. Replacement is the only option. Got the new box for $9,000 and labor was $1,100.

Love the PDK transmission, should have bout the after market warranty!

thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...new-trans.html
Thanks for this, your thread has the details we do require.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:43 AM
liu2k3
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Own my 2010 c2 for 6 months. Milage is around 31k miles. 2 PDK failures occurred. 1st time, 2 months ago, stuck in 2nd gear minutes after the signal "emergent transmission run". Can't shift up to 3rd even using manual mode. Pull over, turn off, wait a while, restart then functioned normally. Then checked by the dealer, nothing wrong is found. 2nd occurence, 3 days ago, car was parked under sunlight at noon, maybe 30+ degree C, shortly after start the car it can not shift to 3rd gear. Again, pull over, turn off, rest in shade, restart and nothing has happened. It seemed working fine now, worrying about when will it happen again and the bill around 14k usd my local dealer told me if it has to be replaced.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:10 AM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liu2k3
Own my 2010 c2 for 6 months. Milage is around 31k miles. 2 PDK failures occurred. 1st time, 2 months ago, stuck in 2nd gear minutes after the signal "emergent transmission run". Can't shift up to 3rd even using manual mode. Pull over, turn off, wait a while, restart then functioned normally. Then checked by the dealer, nothing wrong is found. 2nd occurence, 3 days ago, car was parked under sunlight at noon, maybe 30+ degree C, shortly after start the car it can not shift to 3rd gear. Again, pull over, turn off, rest in shade, restart and nothing has happened. It seemed working fine now, worrying about when will it happen again and the bill around 14k usd my local dealer told me if it has to be replaced.
Sounds similar to what happened with my PDK. Once the internal temp of the transmission reaches a certain temperature (60C) the transmission through an error code due to a sensor malfunction. The sensor that threw the error on my car was the 3rd/4th shift gate and the only solution was a PDK swap. I found a dealer that actually got it done for a little over 10k all in.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:23 PM
liu2k3
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ehandschuh
Sounds similar to what happened with my PDK. Once the internal temp of the transmission reaches a certain temperature (60C) the transmission through an error code due to a sensor malfunction. The sensor that threw the error on my car was the 3rd/4th shift gate and the only solution was a PDK swap. I found a dealer that actually got it done for a little over 10k all in.
How many times did it happen before you decide to replace the PDK ?
Old 06-27-2018, 01:27 PM
ehandschuh
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liu2k3
How many times did it happen before you decide to replace the PDK ?
The first few times, it needed to turn off/back on and it was fine. The fourth time, it just died on the road and wouldn't work for over an hour. It was July 3rd and the trans couldn't cool down. Had it towed and after diagnostic work, they informed me of the problem and that a replacement was necessary.

Ended up having my wife drive it in advance of our wedding and honeymoon as it would drive for 40 minutes without a problem. Once we got back, the time it was alive for dropped to 20 min and made the decision to bite the bullet.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:43 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 274 Posts

I would give changing the battery a try first before replacing the PDK. In my case, I had the same issues 3 years ago, changed the battery and bingo!! You have nothing to lose but a new Walmart battery. ($150.00 +/-). Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:57 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

I still can't believe no indy transmission shops tore these down and developed a repair protocol. This is something I just don't get. Odd. The darn replacement is so darn expensive, I would have thought someone would have tried it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I still can't believe no indy transmission shops tore these down and developed a repair protocol. This is something I just don't get. Odd. The darn replacement is so darn expensive, I would have thought someone would have tried it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
They may have or else it happens so infrequently, no one has wanted to spend the time and effort to figure it out.

There is a guy on the 991 board saying his dealership quoted him $15k for a new transmission simply to repair a switch that causes his mirror to dip when put into reverse. Sounds as if dealers simply are not authorized to break into the cases of either transmission. An indie certainly could if he had time, resources and know how two of which would be met if the Indie saw the failures fairly frequently.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:29 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Part of it is that it's uncharted territory. Do they have the tools required? And maybe more importantly, if they figure out how to take it apart, how to diagnose the problem and what parts they need, how do they get the parts? Porsche is not authorizing anyone but their own factory techs to take these things apart so how would an indy order internal parts when he's not supposed to take it apart in the first place? Unless they're electric/electronic parts made by a third party but I can see how this would seem like quiet an adventure for a small indy or transmission shop. How could they make any promises of success to the owner of the car given the current restrictions on working on these units?
Old 06-29-2018, 09:32 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't get why there are not shops building PDK's. There are with pretty much every other high performance transmission (GTR DCT's for example). IF they ever start to fail at a decent rate, someone will step up to the plate.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:25 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
IF they ever start to fail at a decent rate, someone will step up to the plate.

There is the answer. Regardless of what the angry old guy manual transmission crew says... there are simply not enough of these failing to warrant shops knowing what they are doing and how to repair it. That in itself tells you about the rarity of the failures.
The following users liked this post:
maschinetheist (10-06-2020)
Old 06-30-2018, 12:06 AM
TrojanG2
Cruisin'

2009 C2S 88,000 miles PDK failed at 56,000 miles. Problem with gear actuator 4 so was stuck in 4th. Cost $14k - $4k core charge - $1k Porsche goodwill - $1k dealer goodwill = $8k net cost. Replacement came with a 2 year warranty.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
There is the answer. Regardless of what the angry old guy manual transmission crew says... there are simply not enough of these failing to warrant shops knowing what they are doing and how to repair it. That in itself tells you about the rarity of the failures.
Good point. Always people ready to invest and make money where there's money to be made. Seems like fixing PDK failures don't fall into that category yet. Or....too many obstacles. Required tools, getting parts etc.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:05 AM
Frank996

Received 147 Likes on 52 Posts

Not sure If I just made the list today of 2009 C4S PDK failures...

Was driving quietly minding my own business when I suddenly heard a one off "clonk" sound from what I thought was the front right which didn't sound metallic but just a sound you would ignore in any other type of car.
Drove for a little, had to break into a corner and heard the sound again. 45-60 seconds later (after having done a bit of an acceleration) I got the following warning signs in the display:

and then

My heart skipped a few beats as the orange engine light came on and started blinking along with the red explanation mark. I pulled into the side of the road, waited for a while and decided to continue on as I was less than 5km (3miles) from home and the engine was as smooth running as always.

So, the gear shift was now extremely slow and when accelerating (which I did very very slowly) it felt extremely rough and the whole car was vibrating/shaking but when first reaching a steady speed it was fine and felt as normal... Decided to NOT use the manual shifters as I didn't want to get stuck out in the middle of a quite busy road.

Came home and looked up the error in the owners manual and as the error message is in white it apparently means it's not too bad but I have sent a mail to Porsche Bern to get an appointment of course. Not sure if I can drive the car the 35 km (20 miles) to Porsche or if I should get someone to come and pick it up and have it transported to Porsche for service.

On top of this, I received my sand beige paddle shifter steering wheel from Suncoast Porsche parts today (which I'm extremely happy with) but short lived because of the PDK issue...
Old 05-25-2019, 01:14 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank996
Not sure If I just made the list today of 2009 C4S PDK failures...
Just a note for anyone reading this thread that Frank’s problem (thankfully) just turned out to be dodgy ignition coils.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15849131

Quick Reply: 997.2 PDK failure Survey