997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Old 04-29-2018, 11:04 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those of us complaining about the fluctuating whistle, with RPM's. here is a reply from the seller;

"Please try a reset. Press and hold the “Reset” buttons for 10 sec will do.
Switch engine off / on once after the reset".

I think it worked. I say "think" because my whistle was very faint.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:05 AM
svb
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread. I just installed a Denison BT500 in my Turbo but I wished I had seen this earlier. Does the LA power unit sync up with your phone BT automatically when you restart the car, or so you have to manually connect each time? On the Denison it seems I have to manually sync on each restart because it defaults to aux.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:20 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Mine Syncs up as soon as I unlock the door.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:35 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 443 Likes on 161 Posts

Yup. Mine is synced and playing the last song where it left off by the time the car is started. My old Mobridge was like a 5 minute process to get music playing.

The only thing it doesn't sync is your recent calls and contacts. You need to manually add contacts in the Tel menu. But thats not really needed since you can use Siri to hands-free call, or just dial from your phone.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:09 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

I completed the install tonight. I tapped the power outlet in the passenger footwell which is a constant power source. No lights on the box when the power cable is plugged into the box. The male end of the power cable is getting 12.6 volts as tested with my volt meter. So there isn’t a problem with the splicing/tapping on the power outlet. Power outlet still works and powers accessories. So in conclusion the power wires are carrying power to the box but it is dead. Waiting on a response from the EBay seller. Bummer!!!
Old 05-01-2018, 01:57 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by csmab
I completed the install tonight. I tapped the power outlet in the passenger footwell which is a constant power source. No lights on the box when the power cable is plugged into the box. The male end of the power cable is getting 12.6 volts as tested with my volt meter. So there isn’t a problem with the splicing/tapping on the power outlet. Power outlet still works and powers accessories. So in conclusion the power wires are carrying power to the box but it is dead. Waiting on a response from the EBay seller. Bummer!!!
That might mean you have a problem with your fiber optic loop. Skim through the posts above. I vaguely recall another guy who had a similar issue and somebody confirmed the lights don't work with a bad fiber loop.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:08 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

TheBruce...Thanks. I will do some more troubleshooting. The seller said it is because my car doesn't have a cd changer and the PCM needs to be programmed for a cd changer. He said it is in hibernate mode since it isn't getting a signal. I am going to the dealer to rule out this issue on Friday and program the PCM. Others had luck with no cd changer so I was hoping I would be able to skip the visit to the dealer.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:45 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

@csmab - I would PM Jeffblak, Zettinger and sostick. They had the most detailed notes on their recent installs.

I belive sostick had the same issue as you. He was getting no power lights on the unit but it was because he had wired the fiber loop incorrectly. See the graphic above ^ from Zettinger.

I also didnt have a CD changer and it was plug and play for my car. No need to reprogram. I believe this has been confirmed by Jeffblak ^. He didnt have a CD changer and the unit powered up fine. However he needed to reprogram the PCM because he had a factory phone module that needed to be turned off to use the LaPower phone module.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:56 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking to do this ASAP, but have a question. My car is an ‘07 with Bose, but no cd changer, nav or phone. My question is whether I can tell if the cd changer is enabled in the PCM before starting in on the install. When I press the cd button the PCM plays the single cd. When I press the cd button again, at the bottom of the screen “no cd changer” appears. Does this mean that it is installed but can’t see a changer? Or, does it mean that the cd changer isn’t enabled?

Thanks. Looking forward to keeping the PCM, but getting the modern connectivity.

Todd
’07 C2S Cab
Old 05-02-2018, 02:42 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 07 C4S did not have a CD changer and the Lapower connected fine without any program changes and the music functions worked immediately. But I did have the factory phone module which had to be remove from the MOST loop to enable the Bluetooth phone fuctions on the Lapower unit. The BT phone functions are blocked by the factory phone module because the module ties up the phone control buttons. The phone module also had to be turned off in the PCM in order to avoid an error message once it was removed. If you are not sure if your car has the phone module then press the phone button and if you get a message “no sim installed” then you do have the phone module. From what I can gather by 2007 the PCM seems to look for/add the CD changer even if the car did not have one, so I bet it works fine for you. If not, it’s just 20 minutes at the dealer. They turned off my factory phone module for free while I was having a brake fluid flush done.
The following users liked this post:
scottgf (01-05-2021)
Old 05-02-2018, 11:22 AM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CrossT
Looking to do this ASAP, but have a question. My car is an ‘07 with Bose, but no cd changer, nav or phone. My question is whether I can tell if the cd changer is enabled in the PCM before starting in on the install. When I press the cd button the PCM plays the single cd. When I press the cd button again, at the bottom of the screen “no cd changer” appears. Does this mean that it is installed but can’t see a changer? Or, does it mean that the cd changer isn’t enabled?

Thanks. Looking forward to keeping the PCM, but getting the modern connectivity.

Todd
’07 C2S Cab
Originally Posted by Jeffblak
My 07 C4S did not have a CD changer and the Lapower connected fine without any program changes and the music functions worked immediately. But I did have the factory phone module which had to be remove from the MOST loop to enable the Bluetooth phone fuctions on the Lapower unit. The BT phone functions are blocked by the factory phone module because the module ties up the phone control buttons. The phone module also had to be turned off in the PCM in order to avoid an error message once it was removed. If you are not sure if your car has the phone module then press the phone button and if you get a message “no sim installed” then you do have the phone module. From what I can gather by 2007 the PCM seems to look for/add the CD changer even if the car did not have one, so I bet it works fine for you. If not, it’s just 20 minutes at the dealer. They turned off my factory phone module for free while I was having a brake fluid flush done.
Some have had success with no CD Changer and no programming of the PCM. I seem to be the exception. I have the base system with no Bose, no CD Changer, & no telephone options. My unit is not working. I have tripled checked all of the wiring and it is correct. Going to the dealer on Friday and I will report back once the CD Changer has been flipped on in the PCM.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:27 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

csmab,
After following a few of these threads it seems like the 2007 and newer cars (without factory CD changer) have had success without PCM program changes, Your car is a 2006 and I believe I have seen other 2006 and older car owners also stating they needed the CD changer turned on. I do know that the Lapower unit powers down when there is no signal on the MOST ring even when connected to constant power. You could also have a bad BT unit so start with the PCM program change and then if that does not do it exchange your Lapower unit. Once working I think you will be very satisfied with it. It actually works very well, even for a unit 3x the price.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:14 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeffblak
csmab,
After following a few of these threads it seems like the 2007 and newer cars (without factory CD changer) have had success without PCM program changes, Your car is a 2006 and I believe I have seen other 2006 and older car owners also stating they needed the CD changer turned on. I do know that the Lapower unit powers down when there is no signal on the MOST ring even when connected to constant power. You could also have a bad BT unit so start with the PCM program change and then if that does not do it exchange your Lapower unit. Once working I think you will be very satisfied with it. It actually works very well, even for a unit 3x the price.
Jeffblak - that is a good point regarding 2006 vs 2007 997's. I didn't pay attention to model years while reading through this thread.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:37 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab
Some have had success with no CD Changer and no programming of the PCM. I seem to be the exception. I have the base system with no Bose, no CD Changer, & no telephone options. My unit is not working. I have tripled checked all of the wiring and it is correct. Going to the dealer on Friday and I will report back once the CD Changer has been flipped on in the PCM.
The difference may be the base sound system vs Bose. I posted previously that my 06 S worked without programming but then again I do have the "Bose High End Sound System" without CD changer which may be the difference. Please report back after the dealer visit.
Old 05-04-2018, 01:35 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

That’s a great theory... My 2007 has the Bose, no CD changer, and it also worked without any program changes. But if only the base system was installed - no factory CD changer, no factory phone and no Bose amp - then the MOST ring may not even be active thus the Lapower unit would stay in sleep mode.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?