Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 02:40 AM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought I would follow up on the phone error code fix. I had the dealer turn off the factory phone option today and the error code went away. To recap a few key points about my install:

1. My car did not have a cd changer, but still the Lapower unit worked fine without any program changes related to the CD changer.
2. My car had the factory phone module, which did have to be removed from the MOST ring before the Lapower phone functions became active.
3. Once I removed the factory phone module, all Lapower phone functions worked, but I had an error message “ phone not available”.
4. The dealer turned off the factory phone option in the PCM and the error code went away, and the Lapower BT phone and music functions still both work great and the factory phone buttons all function with the new BT unit.

SUCCESS! And I’m thrilled with the way it all works. It would be a bargain at twice the price. Thanks to TheBruce for charging ahead on this great mod.
Old 04-05-2018, 02:29 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 165 Posts

Glad its all sorted Jeff! Yea I think this bluetooth module and the Fister exhaust are the two required mods for every 997.1.

Where did you end up installing the mic? I clipped mine under the steering wheel and have no problem with people hearing me when driving around town; however, its a no go when i'm on the highway.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:56 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I mounted the mic just above the upper control stalk on the right side of the steering column. This allows the mic cable to exit through the corner of the flexible cover that is between the steering column and instrument cluster. I used it yesterday on the freeway with no problems and the person on the other end of the call said it was clear and no echo. I have stock exhaust which is probably quieter than your Fister exhaust on the freeway so that is a factor also. I also wanted to add that while at the dealer for a brake fluid flush, and they did the PCM program change at no additional charge.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

I just got mine installed today. Works like a charm. Took about 3 hours to instal but most of that was me just triple checking everything.
I have the CD changer and didn't realize that you have to disconnect and splice the fiber connection there.
I had a Dension unit but it dies on me a few years back and have just done w/o for way too long.
I have kids so it became a great way to control the music selection.
Them: Can we listen to "Hamilton"
Me: Do you have it burned to CD? Nope, sorry.

Now, I'll have to figure something else as an excuse.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:09 PM
tophebboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

Thanks to this topic I successfully installed mine this weekend.
Regarding where to tuck the unit, I put it behind the glovebox, just above some flexible carpet above the passenger feets:

I hope it won't rattle when I diver but if so, it will be really easy to check it: only 3 pastic screws and you're there
Old 04-24-2018, 07:51 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks to everyone that posted their experiences. I read this entire thread and watched all the videos numerous times.

I successfully installed my unit today and it took about 2.5 hrs not including a run to get a 7mm wrench which I thought I had. I installed the unit just like most tapping the power in the passenger foot well using the power outlet wiring. I mounted my unit behind the PCM using 2" wide Velcro to a support brace then reconnected all the cabling and re-tested again. I placed the microphone in the dash cluster as others have done. Everything is working perfect.

Just for anyone else thinking about doing this my car is a 2006 C2S with PCM 2.1, Bose & Nav without CD Changer. No previous Tooki or Dension unit. No CD changer programming was needed for me. Worked right out the gate.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911URGE
Just for anyone else thinking about doing this my car is a 2006 C2S with PCM 2.1, Bose & Nav without CD Changer. No previous Tooki or Dension unit. No CD changer programming was needed for me. Worked right out the gate.
Thanks for this verification, same factory options in my 06 C4S, and I was hoping no additional programming would be required.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:26 AM
hrb93
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all have this unit installed not bad for the money.

Does anyone know how to switch between Bluetooth sources? if at all possible.

as currently if multiple people in the car all with phones, only one person can have Bluetooth active at a time.
Old 04-27-2018, 11:09 AM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My unit whistles with RPM's.

1. Bypassed the CD-changer
2. DC power from the 12-v in passenger well using solder, not connectors
3. Mounted LAPower unit, using some heavy-duty velcro, behind the PCM but accessible without taking PCM out again
4. Mounted mic above the tachometer

If anyone knows how to cure the whistle, I would love a suggestions. Along with this job, I also realigned my shifter. This entailed removing the whole center console. So, I did this jobs together and now the airbag light is on as well (which I posted in another thread looking for help). Maybe something to do with the LAPower unit? Probably not.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:06 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by avonted
My unit whistles with RPM's.

1. Bypassed the CD-changer
2. DC power from the 12-v in passenger well using solder, not connectors
3. Mounted LAPower unit, using some heavy-duty velcro, behind the PCM but accessible without taking PCM out again
4. Mounted mic above the tachometer

If anyone knows how to cure the whistle, I would love a suggestions. Along with this job, I also realigned my shifter. This entailed removing the whole center console. So, I did this jobs together and now the airbag light is on as well (which I posted in another thread looking for help). Maybe something to do with the LAPower unit? Probably not.
Hey - I also had feedback with RPM when using the phone but not with music. My understanding is its from a ground loop somewhere in the system. From my reading its likely from tapping the power in the footwell instead of the PCM's power source. Im no electrical engineer so others will likely know more.

I was, however, able to solve my issue pretty simply. Mine was only happening on phone calls and I found that the phone volume was set very low on my iPhone while the music volume was set at the max. I just turned up the volume on the phone to max for both the phone and music and its solved the issue, or diminished it to the point I cant hear it.

So just check your volume on your phone when using music and making calls. Your phone will remember the volume setting from different external sources.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:45 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2018, 07:22 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Silly question. Do you need to disconnect the battery to install the LAPower unit?
Old 04-29-2018, 07:56 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by csmab
Silly question. Do you need to disconnect the battery to install the LAPower unit?
I did not. I did remove the power plug from the PCM during the install.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:11 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 369 Likes on 198 Posts

I didn't either. I tapped into the power socket in the passenger footwell.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:04 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Great. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?