Sponsored by:

LAPower bluetooth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 04:55 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Anybody have an issue with their USB cable no longer charging your iPhone? I just noticed mine wasn't charging the phone anymore. Not sure if my cable is bad or its something with the unit. On my Land Rover those cables last about a year before they break so I bought a higher quality one for the 997. I will have to pull the unit out to see what the issue is. Luckily with it under the dash its just one screw to get access to it.
No problem with charging but I had an issue yesterday.

I started the car and the unit didn't power up correctly, causing the PCM to say no Amplifier/CD changer detected.
Turned the car back off and 10 seconds back on and all was good.

I went this weekend on a trip and the unit worked great, except the first morning start mentioned above, the whole time.
Sound quality is great and phone charging worked like a charm.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:58 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Zettinger
No problem with charging but I had an issue yesterday.

I started the car and the unit didn't power up correctly, causing the PCM to say no Amplifier/CD changer detected.
Turned the car back off and 10 seconds back on and all was good.

I went this weekend on a trip and the unit worked great, except the first morning start mentioned above, the whole time.
Sound quality is great and phone charging worked like a charm.
Ive never had that error but ive had the PCM flake out a couple times and not recognize the bluetooth 2-3 times in 6 months. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why but think its a software glitch on the PCM side. Restarting the car or going to my bluetooth settings on the phone and manually connecting fixes it. Your issue sounds like a potential loose fiber optic cable. I would try pressing "148" simultaneously if it happens again. That will hard reboot the PCM. If the error goes away you can likely isolate the issue to being software related. If it doesn't its likely a hardware/bad connection issue.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:21 AM
gary911
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Completed my install of LAPower Bluetooth in my 06 Cayman S today. Removed my CD changer from the frunk and just plugged the fibre optic cable into the bluetooth unit. Mounted unit to the bracket for CD changer with two zap straps. Wired the unit direct to be battery, using an inline fuse. Mounted the microphone on top of the steering column, just behind the factory location. Tool longer to remove and re-install the plastic covers in the frunk than to do the install. Turned on PCM and paired unit with my Samsung phone, and all works great, even the PCM phone buttons. Inserted in the bluetooth unit, a micro sd card with 6 folders, each with mp3 files in each and works it plays great. Shows on PCM as CD's 1 -6. Can also stream tunes from my phone to the unit. Totally happy and handsfree Time for start to finish about 90 minutes, including refreshment time before putting tools away. Now I get to help friend with his 997 install. Will supervise and keep hydrated.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:20 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Ive never had that error but ive had the PCM flake out a couple times and not recognize the bluetooth 2-3 times in 6 months. I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why but think its a software glitch on the PCM side. Restarting the car or going to my bluetooth settings on the phone and manually connecting fixes it. Your issue sounds like a potential loose fiber optic cable. I would try pressing "148" simultaneously if it happens again. That will hard reboot the PCM. If the error goes away you can likely isolate the issue to being software related. If it doesn't its likely a hardware/bad connection issue.
the unit did the same thing yesterday. I drove for ~10 miles without any problem. stopped for 5 min to pick up my son.

When I started the 997 again, the PCM reported CD changer not functioning.
I tried your 148 trick what indeed rebooted the PCM but still the same.
Switched to FM radio what worked fine.
I stopped some where to test and restart of car fixed the unit again.

Since the fiber ring is not disconnected (Bose connected), It seems my LP1604 unit has once in a while start problems.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 PM
SWO Daddy
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Am considering installing one of these but I am concerned as my 05 C2S does not have a cd changer. Looks like 91219 and Type_LT successfully installed and neither had a changer. My PCM is 2.1 (not 2.1a or 2.1b). Does anyone have another experience with unit to confidently say that the unit should work in my 911?

I'll also reach out to the vendor.

Last edited by SWO Daddy; 03-08-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 AM
sostick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELPPPP!

guys.... I'm going through the installation but I'm stuck.

I'm at the point where I test the system. The device doesn't switch on. no blue light and no signal. and the PCM says system error: navigation system, phone, amplifier, CD charger not available...

I changed fuse A8, which was Brocken... the outlet has energy... HELP!!!
Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 PM
sostick
AutoX

I sorted the first issue about electricity. the red thingy didn't cut the cables... so I removed them, cut the cable myself as I will never use that socket...

but still no working as system error...
Old 03-14-2018, 12:28 PM
sostick
AutoX

I discovered the big mistake I made. I looped the satnav and not the cd charger in the front trunk... any help?!?!?
Old 03-14-2018, 12:35 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 462 Likes on 165 Posts

Hopefully some other guys can assist. Fortunately or unfortunately mine was plug and play. The prior owner had an old Mobridge unit so I was able to use the existing wiring and it was plug and play.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Originally Posted by sostick
I discovered the big mistake I made. I looped the satnav and not the cd charger in the front trunk... any help?!?!?
I assume there is an problem with the fiber ring.
Reverse what you did and try the CD changer fiber connector to test if the LP1604 works.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

The test above will help you to identify if the unit works.

To address your fiber I tried to use my paint skills to make it visible.

Here the OEM MOST ring.

MOST Fiber Ring with Bose Amp and CD changer

This is the way it has to look when you want to locate the unit in the foot well behind AC controls.

MOST fiber ring. LaPower Lp1604 in foot well and Fiber loop CD changer
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (08-16-2020)
Old 03-14-2018, 03:36 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

LaPower to replace CD changer (test above) in Frunk

MOST fiber ring. LaPower LP1604 replace CD changer option

Hope that helps
The following users liked this post:
8KaboveMSL (12-30-2020)
Old 03-14-2018, 11:49 PM
sostick
AutoX

Yes it does. I understand the concept now. I had to rebuild the car to get it operational today :-(

I’LL reverse what I have done and see if the unit start again and then make the test. And then try the loop again. I have another challenge that one fiber connector of the kit has broken. I’ll try to go to Porche and get a new cable... the beauty of the DIY!!! In Dubai!!!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:23 AM
Zettinger
Instructor

Originally Posted by sostick
Yes it does. I understand the concept now. I had to rebuild the car to get it operational today :-(

I’LL reverse what I have done and see if the unit start again and then make the test. And then try the loop again. I have another challenge that one fiber connector of the kit has broken. I’ll try to go to Porche and get a new cable... the beauty of the DIY!!! In Dubai!!!
you should have one spare connector since the LAPower set comes with two ends and the ring only requires one end.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:49 AM
sostick
AutoX

I did not break the connector but the orange cable terminal. The wire came out of the plastic end. How did you set up the 4 pins at the bottom of the device?

Quick Reply: LAPower bluetooth?