Sponsored by:

997S Auction Car - Track Build

Old 09-18-2017, 10:57 AM
Clay.0
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 997S Auction Car - Track Build

Hey guys, thought i'd share my latest project

I have a 77 911 that i've tracked a few times, but like every other car guy, I wanted to build a more dedicated track car.

The 77:

On May 1, I won a 2006 911S with 40,725 miles on it off Copart.

Here are the Copart pictures

4 days later it arrived on Cinco De Mayo

The following parts were inside the car

After going through everything, I found the car to be in amazing shape, because the accident related stuff.

Almost everything was there, except mufflers, passenger tail light, deck lid and passenger fender.

Of the stuff received, both bumpers are trash, driver fender was folded to fit inside the car, driver's radiator was damaged during shipping and of course the passenger quarter needs replacement.

More to come...

Last edited by Clay.0; 09-18-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:44 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

not seeing any pictures....
Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 PM
krispe
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Following!

And your 77 is B. E. A. UTIFUL!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Big project!

I'd be inclined to find a good car with junk engine, mix and match parts, then sell the leftovers off and/or save some for spares.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:13 PM
Batman33
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't know about the project 997s, but, your "77" is beautiful!!
Old 09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

Where did you buy your wrecked car from? Will this be track only?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:49 AM
Clay.0
Instructor

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by george_west
Where did you buy your wrecked car from? Will this be track only?
It was purchased through Copart.com insurance auctions, there are locations all over the country.

The car is now salvage title, but will be street legal and be setup for DE track days

First up was to test fit wheels :laugh:

Then pressure washed the whole thing and cleaned out the interior. It was full of mud.

Then cleaned up the rear quarter and drilled out all the spot welds to make ready for another quarter

Trending Topics

Old 09-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,124 Likes on 3,900 Posts

Looks like it's mostly complete. What's the story behind the salvage title and why was it in pieces - theft recovery from a chop-shop. If the cocoa interior cleans up well, that might be worth something as it's a fairly rare color and you're probably going to gut it anyway as a track car, right? Someone was selling some CF 997 doors either here or on 6-speed in the marketplace if you're going the lightweight route. I also have some fully forged and lightweight 19" champion RS171 wheels if you're looking for something strong and light to put on it for track duty.

Good luck with the build and keep the updates coming.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:11 AM
george_west
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 33 Posts

What was it like buying from copart? Is it the first time you bought from there? Did you get to see the car in person before bidding? Curious because I've been watching a few cars there.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:59 AM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good progress Clay, projects are fun.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:36 AM
Clay.0
Instructor

I don't know the back story on the car, I can only assume it was in an accident, taken to a shop to repair it, they took it apart it start working on it and then the insurance company totaled it. When I got it I had to apply for a rebuilt title, that's what I said salvage, technically it's a "rebuilt title".

The interior is currently for sale, keeping the stock doors for now, but I may look into CF doors in the future.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-ma...-interior.html

First time buying through Copart and it wasn't bad, but I may have gotten lucky. The car came from North Carolina and I'm in Houston, so I didn't get to look at it first. I knew I was taking a gamble, but it worked out. I had a bid on a few with higher miles and other damaged and watched several others so I had a good idea of what I should pay and knew what I was willing to pay.

The Copart yearly fee is $400 IIRC, then the sale fee was 20% because I paid by debit, not knowing that a check or wire transfer was 15%, so I could have saved some money there. Shipping was another $1000, but Copart took care of all the logistics. Overall a good experience.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:52 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

This is awesome, great to see one 'rescued'. I'd love to do this one day and make either a track toy or Safari 997. Keep the updates coming!
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Clay.0
Instructor

Parts collecting began immediately

A local friend had these fenders and an OEM GT3 bumper that I was able to pick up

I ordered a new driver's radiator and 3rd radiator kit for the front, and waterpump. I figured i'd do all the coolant stuff while it was apart. Also got used lights to replace the missing ones and other maintenance items.

The water pump wasn't bad, but it's a ceramic impeller that fails. This was replaced with a brass impeller pump and new belt.

Then swapped over the AC parts and fans to the new radiator

And installed it along with the 3rd radiator setup.

I bought a uview 550500 coolant filler. This thing is amazing. It pulls a vacuum on the system then sucks in the coolant to completely fill all the high spots and gets all the air out.

Mixed up 5 gallons of g40 and distilled water

I hate coolant, but this wasn't too bad.

Also replaced the battery

Old 09-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Looks like it's coming along both nicely & quickly - cool.

Unfortunately, the brass impeller water pump is a bad idea on these motors. As the bearing gets to the point of being worn out (which is what causes the drip out the weep hole to notify you that replacement is imminent), the tension on the serpentine belt causes deflection of the impeller and shaft (this is what creates the leak with coolant passing by the seal). That impeller deflection with a composite impeller pump will slowly grind away the impeller fins as it contacts the engine block. If this goes on for too long, then larger pieces of the fins can break off and get lodged in the small coolant passageways creating hot spots, which is bad, but doesn't usually happen unless someone tries to get every last mile out of a water pump.

With the metal impeller pump, the deflection I mentioned above once the bearing is worn will cause it to contact the aluminum engine block, turning your water pump into a milling machine, which will permanently damage the block as it mills away the aluminum. This will reshape the housing in which the impeller spins creating less efficient pumping, even after the new pump is installed and if it mills long enough can actually create a permanent coolant leak that can't be fixed.

Only composite impeller pumps should be used on these engines to make the pump the sacrificial component and not the engine block.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not sure if you need these or not, but someone is selling gt3 fender liners - no affiliation.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automotive-parts-accessories-sale-wanted/412259-997-2-gt3-fender-liners.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997S Auction Car - Track Build