Sponsored by:

Engine & trans removal advice.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 AM
raffsracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raffsracing
Gee i couldn't imagine doing it with the engine in. Did he support the back of the engine & then remove the carrier for access?
Reading all the posts have made me nervous so i was going to do it as a preventative measure.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
FWIW, two times now I've had to replace all the idler/tensioner rollers on my 996 Turbo. Once under warranty and again out of warranty. The tech didn't have to drop the engine. The water pump was replaced, too, and the engine stayed in the car.

If the water hose fittings in the block are not leaking and you don't intend to race the car you might just wait on pinning (or welding) those when (if) one fails.
+1, unless you're dropping the engine for a necessary repair or long list of upgrades/preventative maintenance, leave well enough alone.

If you do drop it, the "while I'm in there" list should include a lot of $tuff if you want to refresh everything. For me it's a simple call based on plans for the car. Weekend cruiser/drive occasionally or regularly drive and take to track?
Old 04-23-2017, 12:13 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Gee i couldn't imagine doing it with the engine in. Did he support the back of the engine & then remove the carrier for access?
Did not see the car on the lift when it was in for (2 times) the idler/tensioner roller replacement or the water pump replacement. While I'm sure the tech didn't remove the engine I do not know what he might have removed (besides the airbox) to improve access to the idler/tensioner rollers.

I do know both times he removed the transmission -- once to replace it under warranty (leaking selector shaft seal) and again to replace a leaking RMS -- he supported the engine. The first time with a (tall) jack. The 2nd time he bolted a support brace to where the rear sway bar mounts (the sway bar was unbolted) and this supported the engine.

See attached pic.
Attached Images  
Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 AM
raffsracing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Did not see the car on the lift when it was in for (2 times) the idler/tensioner roller replacement or the water pump replacement. While I'm sure the tech didn't remove the engine I do not know what he might have removed (besides the airbox) to improve access to the idler/tensioner rollers.

I do know both times he removed the transmission -- once to replace it under warranty (leaking selector shaft seal) and again to replace a leaking RMS -- he supported the engine. The first time with a (tall) jack. The 2nd time he bolted a support brace to where the rear sway bar mounts (the sway bar was unbolted) and this supported the engine.

See attached pic.
I haven't seen the engine supported this way before. Looks like a factory tool. Might be worth copying.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

I haven't seen the engine supported this way before. Looks like a factory tool. Might be worth copying.
In fact, it is a Porsche tool.
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017, 02:47 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

I didn't remember but I had the dimensions for a similar device....
Attached Images  
Old 05-01-2017, 04:36 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 250 Likes on 180 Posts

You can also purchase Sir Tools P254 Engine Support Bar for $180, and is exactly like factory tool.

I was thinking about building an exact factory replica, but the material costs $70, plus the swivel cradle $15 in material.

Quick Reply: Engine & trans removal advice.