Sponsored by:

Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 06:31 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin

Did anyone else see this thread in the 997 turbo forum? Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/929208-clutch-slave-upgrade-for-the-cost-of-a-liter-of-pentosin.html
I'm wondering if it's a real solution for the 996 Turbo, are there any downsides, etc.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Bump. Nobody?
Old 04-22-2016, 09:45 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a look, I'm not too familiar yet with the whole system so I can't really provide an opinion. Seems like removing the accumulator could eliminate some of the spongyness since an accumulator full of liquid acts like a shock absorber.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:17 AM
TeCKis300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That does make a lot of sense. He basically got rid of the pressure assist hydraulic circuit to the slave. And now the stock slave is functioning as a standard non-assisted slave.

Seems totally legitimate.

Question is whether the slave will function as a non-assisted slave reliably for the long term as the pressure in the pedal/master to clutch slave bears all the load now.

The master should fare just fine, as it's been proven when adapted with non-assisted/GT2/aftermarket slaves.

So it's really whether the stock slave will hold up in a non-assisted configuration? I guessing yes.

This would be a great option for anyone having a failing assist function, to convert it into this non-assisted configuration.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:23 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Is the function of the accumulator solely to hold pressure to help push the pedal in with the engine off? With the engine on the pump provides the pressure to help right? So for someone like me who has the clutch switch bypassed and always start my car without pushing in the clutch, an accumulator is useless for me, correct?
I wonder is just removing the accumulator would be enough for a better feel.
Or would it have the opposite affect by not providing the cushion on the system and cause the pressure to fluctuate, causing the pedal pressure to fluctuate?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:06 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

I have read in the past the accumulator function was to relief pressure on the clutch pedal when the engine is at idle because the pressure assist from the power steering pump is too low at idle when you are waiting at a light per exemple... Removing only the accumulator is the equivalent of having a failed one. It is only a bladder with air pressure on one side and hydraulic pressure on the other side. But the modification of "The defector" is interesting because he eliminate the pressure coming from the steering pump by removing the drive coupler like they do for the GT2 conversion... I would like to feel the clutch pedal after such a mod......
Old 04-23-2016, 11:47 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Ok, I guess I missed the important part. What and where is the "little coupler" he removed?
Edit: I did some more reading and found the diy. It's right in the bowels of the pump.
Couldn't you just disconnect the hydraulic lines going in and out of the slave cylinder and connect them together to bypass it?

Last edited by jeanmarcboilard; 04-23-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:49 PM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 146 Posts

Our steering pump on TT are dual pump. The first pump, part closer to the pulley, supply pressure to the steering rack. And the other pump, forward portion, supply pressure to the slave. By removing the coupler (see picture) you are eliminating half of this dual pump which is the slave pressure part.....
Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2016, 08:49 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jpflip
Our steering pump on TT are dual pump. The first pump, part closer to the pulley, supply pressure to the steering rack. And the other pump, forward portion, supply pressure to the slave. By removing the coupler (see picture) you are eliminating half of this dual pump which is the slave pressure part.....
and gaining more HP... Heh heh
Old 03-30-2017, 04:32 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This had originated from the 997tt forum but has anyone on this side of the fence tried it?

Does removing the drive coupler disable the power assist for both the steering and the clutch or just the clutch?

I seem to have a faulty clutch slave and/or accumulator and am tempted to give this a shot.

Any experience or thoughts on the concept gladly accepted.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:53 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by danspach
This had originated from the 997tt forum but has anyone on this side of the fence tried it?

Does removing the drive coupler disable the power assist for both the steering and the clutch or just the clutch?

I seem to have a faulty clutch slave and/or accumulator and am tempted to give this a shot.

Any experience or thoughts on the concept gladly accepted.
it disables the slave side. power steering still works fine. i have 2 of these pumps already disabled for sale if anyone wants one
Old 03-30-2017, 05:34 PM
danspach
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses on this 32krazy! (I saw the one on my other thread too).

If I go this route, will I still need to replace the slave? Does the fact that the hydraulic pressure to the clutch side is disabled alleviate that concern?

I can handle modifying the pump and slave myself but haven't dropped the engine or trans in this car yet and won't for this repair so the GT2 approach will have to wait.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:52 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by danspach
Thanks for all of the responses on this 32krazy! (I saw the one on my other thread too).

If I go this route, will I still need to replace the slave? Does the fact that the hydraulic pressure to the clutch side is disabled alleviate that concern?

I can handle modifying the pump and slave myself but haven't dropped the engine or trans in this car yet and won't for this repair so the GT2 approach will have to wait.
Based on your othet post it seems you have a leak in the slave/accumulator. You need to fix that. Probably internal seal worn in the slave!
Old 03-30-2017, 09:09 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Heres food for thought, rather than tear down the pwr steering pump how about pulling off the assist line that goes to the slave and the pump, just use a screw plug on both the slave and pump ports?
Old 03-30-2017, 10:18 PM
88mmm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what I was thinking too. Anyone have a reason this wouldn't work the same? Or would it overpressure something?

Quick Reply: Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin