Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 08:50 PM
The Defector
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin UPDATE!!!!!

I HATE the power assisted clutch! I wanted a real GT2 slave but just replaced my slave and accumulator with an OE set. Didn't want to spend $1000 on a proper GT2 slave that needs to be drilled until the engine came out for a new clutch, which I will do but this will bide me time and driving pleasure until then.

I simply followed the instructions for modifying the power steering pump on this forum for the GT2 conversion. Took out the little coupler and put it all back together. I also for reasons that sounded like a good idea at the time removed the accumulator and put a bolt and nylon washer in its place, no idea if that really matters or not. Left the now useless power steering lines in place on the slave.

Viola!!!!! I now have a firm predictable clutch for the cost of a bolt, nylon washer, and well...two liters of Pentosin. One of the lines on the reservoir wasn't fully in place and I kinda lost a "little" Pentosin.

Drives friggin AWESOME!!!!!!!! Will eventually as I said put on the GT2 slave, master etc when the time comes but for now....I'm WICKED HAPPY!!!!!
JC

Last edited by The Defector; 07-02-2016 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Update
Old 04-15-2016, 09:26 AM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So you simply took off accumulator and bled the system? Where is the steering coupler located?
Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 AM
The Defector
Instructor

I took the accumulator off planning to simply connect the pressure and return lines from the power steering pump together to eliminate the assist and plug the holes in the slave. But then thought it might not work to well, too many potential leaks and wasn't sure the return line could handle the pressure. Just decided not to put the accumulator back.

I decided to do part of the GT2 slave conversion, eliminating the power steering assist. If it worked it would by me time til I needed to remove the engine and trans, for whatever reason, if not I at least had part of the swap done.

I still plan to call Sam at EVOMS and get all the kit when the engine and trans come out and do the swap then. I will drill and tap the trans at that time to mount the GT2 slave.

Here's a link to what I did. http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...rsion-diy.html

It's post #10 and I just did the power steering pump portion.

Apparently not much interest in this from the forum as you're the only comment.
JC
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the bracket from the EVOMS kit bolts in the same way the stock slave attaches? I was hoping I didn't have to drill and tap with the kit. Maybe I misunderstood when I looked into the kit and spoke with Sam.

Thanks for the link to the DIY.

Originally Posted by The Defector
I still plan to call Sam at EVOMS and get all the kit when the engine and trans come out and do the swap then. I will drill and tap the trans at that time to mount the GT2 slave.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:13 AM
The Defector
Instructor

The way I understand it is the bracket allows the use of the GT2 without,the need for any drilling and tapping. But if it's out of the car the slave can be mounted without the bracket by drilling and tapping mounting holes. Or one could simply use the bracket and not do any changes
JC
Old 04-15-2016, 11:18 AM
996_soon
Instructor

Makes sense, thanks.

The way I understand it is the bracket allows the use of the GT2 without,the need for any drilling and tapping. But if it's out of the car the slave can be mounted without the bracket by drilling and tapping mounting holes. Or one could simply use the bracket and not do any changes
JC
Old 04-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for posting. When my time come from the engine and trans drop I'm going with the BBI setup.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:46 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope you don't mind Defector, I put a link to this thread on the 996 turbo forum. One question came up, how hard is it to push the clutch pedal in? Any difference at idle versus at speed?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:40 PM
The Defector
Instructor

It would be an honor to have this shared. I drove the car for a day to make sure all was well before putting on my new Hawk ceramic pads to be sure I'd be able to bed them. It has been on the lift in my garage since. Should be back on the ground tomorrow. I will share long term experience as it comes.

I personally did not notice any difference at idle vs speed, but honestly wasn't really looking for it. I was just so friggin happy with the way it drove! I will now pay more attention and report back.

IMO I don't feel it is that stiff, it's much like the GT3 I tried at the dealer. I have owned much stiffer clutch cars over the years. I just like the predictability of engagement and the way it seems to shift now.

JC
Old 04-24-2016, 10:27 PM
The Defector
Instructor

So bedded the brakes n drove it!!!! OMG THIS is what a turbo should drive like!!! Odd question but IMO the clutch was easier to depress at higher speeds.

I love this car now! Looked at the GT3 to determine "clutch feel" and was told to find a divorce lawyer as well if I even thought of buying it. I was so pissed at the factory assisted clutch. Actually dreaded driving the car. I so wanted this car only to be so let down.

Keep in mind this is my temporary fix until a real GT3 slave can be installed. But why spend money on a "plug and play slave" if this works til the engine out change. At which time you will still need to uncouple or put in a different power steering pump.

DAMN this car is fun to drive!!!!!!

Will post long term results.
JC
Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So bedded the brakes n drove it!!!! OMG THIS is what a turbo should drive like!!! Odd question but IMO the clutch was easier to depress at higher speeds. I love this car now! Looked at the GT3 to determine "clutch feel" and was told to find a divorce lawyer as well if I even thought of buying it. I was so pissed at the factory assisted clutch. Actually dreaded driving the car. I so wanted this car only to be so let down. Keep in mind this is my temporary fix until a real GT3 slave can be installed. But why spend money on a "plug and play slave" if this works til the engine out change. At which time you will still need to uncouple or put in a different power steering pump. DAMN this car is fun to drive!!!!!! Will post long term results. JC
interesting. Probably the higher PS pump speed at higher throttle providing more PSI.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 PM
estrellajon
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great. Looking into following suit.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:14 PM
The Defector
Instructor

So been a while now and so happy I did this!!!!!!!
Drove from Cincy to Detroit for the Detroit Grand Prix....no problems!!!!!
So much fun to drive now. Glad I saved the money and did this!
JC
Old 07-03-2016, 12:58 AM
wilson234
Instructor

This is very cool find, I am curious specifically what has changed with the clutch feel. Is it the feel of a harder clutch pedal or does this modification actually bring back clutch feel, meaning I can actually feel the clutch engaging over a wider pedal stroke like a normal porsche? I too extremely dislike the clutch lack of engagement feel. Mostly when taking off from a dead stop, it's very sensitive, either you burn the clutch or you bog off the line. It is most noticeable if you have more than one porsche, going from another p car to the turbo you immediately hate the clutch feel.

In researching the gt2 mod, one additional thing you will need if you plan to tap the slave vs using a bracket, you will need a new clutch fork since the hole you will be mounting the normal slave is on the opposite side of the transmission. I too would rather go this route and do it right.

A really interesting thought, by removing/disabiling the power assisted mechanism, by removing the coupler or propeller that sends pressure to the slave, and removing the accumulator and simply plugging with a screw, I think you've essentially replicated the BBI unit??? The BBI slave simply connects the high pressure line to their slave unit, then lowers the pressure by sending the fluid through a smaller oriface that eventually connects to the low pressure return. It's completely independent from the master cylinder line. By performing the gt2 mod, instead of recirculating the pressured fluid, you simply disable the pumping mechanism. The BBi unit eliminates the accumulator, which is the same as plugging the accumulator bung with a bolt and washer. What your left with is a non pressured system, powering the clutch slave with pressure from the master cylinder only, much like a normal porsche without the power assist.

Curious on others thoughts on this and specific feedback regarding pedal feel from this modification.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:06 AM
The Defector
Instructor

Originally Posted by wilson234
This is very cool find, I am curious specifically what has changed with the clutch feel. Is it the feel of a harder clutch pedal or does this modification actually bring back clutch feel, meaning I can actually feel the clutch engaging over a wider pedal stroke like a normal porsche? I too extremely dislike the clutch lack of engagement feel. Mostly when taking off from a dead stop, it's very sensitive, either you burn the clutch or you bog off the line. It is most noticeable if you have more than one porsche, going from another p car to the turbo you immediately hate the clutch feel.

In researching the gt2 mod, one additional thing you will need if you plan to tap the slave vs using a bracket, you will need a new clutch fork since the hole you will be mounting the normal slave is on the opposite side of the transmission. I too would rather go this route and do it right.

A really interesting thought, by removing/disabiling the power assisted mechanism, by removing the coupler or propeller that sends pressure to the slave, and removing the accumulator and simply plugging with a screw, I think you've essentially replicated the BBI unit??? The BBI slave simply connects the high pressure line to their slave unit, then lowers the pressure by sending the fluid through a smaller oriface that eventually connects to the low pressure return. It's completely independent from the master cylinder line. By performing the gt2 mod, instead of recirculating the pressured fluid, you simply disable the pumping mechanism. The BBi unit eliminates the accumulator, which is the same as plugging the accumulator bung with a bolt and washer. What your left with is a non pressured system, powering the clutch slave with pressure from the master cylinder only, much like a normal porsche without the power assist.

Curious on others thoughts on this and specific feedback regarding pedal feel from this modification.
Exactly what I was trying to do. Did not know how BBI built their unit but that was the motivation for this modification. Logical thing to me seemed eliminate the pressure.

I have found after doing this that clutch "feel" is INCREDIBLY subjective. Personally I think it feels like, well, a regular clutch now. Slightly stiffer than my old 996 Carrera. There was a GT3 on the dealer floor that I tried the clutch before doing this. It didn't seem that bad so I thought I'd give it a try. Figured at some point I'd have to do the pump mod anyway so why not try.

IMO the car drives like it should now. No hill worries, launches well, what can I say. Yes there are times when it's a pain (stop and go traffic) but any stick car will occasionally be a pain. That's the price you pay for the rest of the time when it's fun to drive.

It is definitely more fun to drive.
JC

Quick Reply: Clutch slave upgrade for the cost of a liter of Pentosin