Sponsored by:

The Prestige Thread - Finest 996TT Market Finds

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 03:02 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,468 Posts

Originally Posted by Bloose993TT
Right on the money. If it had Black interior I think it would of been a upper $50s car all day.
IMHO full money or more, once you factor in:
  1. 5% buyers premium
  2. Unattractive interior (subjective, I know)
  3. Buying sight-unseen without a PPI
Old 06-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,474 Posts

^ Good points.

Originally Posted by manimal
Also keep in mind that buyer has to add 5% in fees on BaT, so it's ~$57k to the buyer.
+1
Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 PM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Porsche...5ZVr0L&vxp=mtr

"It would be absolutely impossible to find a better example of this this highly collectible car anywhere on planet earth" Fine but how about on Jupiter or Mars? Huh, any better ones there? Sheesh, these kind of comments drive me nuts. Nice car, but not $75K nice. Not to me anyway, doesn't even have the hardback Sportseats, heck not even crests in the headrests. They do realize this is an '01 and not an '05 TTS right? The least desirable of the 996TT, not even an '02 with X50, but an '01...Nice car and I'd be stoked to have it but no way would i pay that price for it in today's market.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Hosewater2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

"It would be absolutely impossible to find a better example of this this highly collectible car anywhere on planet earth" Fine but how about on Jupiter or Mars? Huh, any better ones there? Sheesh, these kind of comments drive me nuts. Nice car, but not $75K nice. Not to me anyway, doesn't even have the hardback Sportseats, heck not even crests in the headrests. They do realize this is an '01 and not an '05 TTS right? The least desirable of the 996TT, not even an '02 with X50, but an '01...Nice car and I'd be stoked to have it but no way would i pay that price for it in today's market.
Completely agree, mileage isn't low enough to command this kind of premium. Odd for an actual Porsche dealer to go this extreme, usually I see the hot lots doing this kind of dreaming out loud.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:17 PM
mffarrell
Drifting

Received 237 Likes on 171 Posts

It's called a wishing price.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:10 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911

I saw that car the other day at Stevinson's.... Nice 996TT, but who really cares if they have the most collectible example of an un-collectible car? And by uncollectable, I don't mean because it's an 01 or missing X50. I mean ANY Mezger Turbo that isn't a GT car.

Furthermore, not a rare color or PTS color, no aerokit.. Basic interior, no sport seats. It's basically the clone of my TT with fewer miles. Great car at the right price, but that right price isn't anywhere close to his asking. It is a consignment car at the dealer, the sales-guy I know was joking that the seller wanted WAY to much for it, and that when we thought he wanted $62K!

Now the low mile, perfect 996 GT2 that it was parked next too when I was there, that is a special car. Owned by one of the top mechanics at the shop and definitely drool worthy.

As for the '01 'hate' above, umm no. I'd take a clean '01 in a second over a less nice '02. Factory X50? Who really cares, you can get WHATEVER power you want out of these cars at a really reasonable cost. '05 S with PCCB's? Do you really want 12 year old PCCB's? Hell, just the dealer inspection on them is several hundred dollars to tell you if you need to spend closer to $10K replacing them (when everyone goes back to steel anyway...) And the first gen pccb's had even more issues than the later ones. Not to mention a minimum of 12 years of tire changes hoping not one of them chipped a rotor when pulling the wheel. I'd take PCCB's on a 996TT I was considering, but I wouldn't spend a dime extra for them.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:34 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Old 07-05-2017, 05:36 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I saw that car the other day at Stevinson's.... Nice 996TT, but who really cares if they have the most collectible example of an un-collectible car? And by uncollectable, I don't mean because it's an 01 or missing X50. I mean ANY Mezger Turbo that isn't a GT car.

Furthermore, not a rare color or PTS color, no aerokit.. Basic interior, no sport seats. It's basically the clone of my TT with fewer miles. Great car at the right price, but that right price isn't anywhere close to his asking. It is a consignment car at the dealer, the sales-guy I know was joking that the seller wanted WAY to much for it, and that when we thought he wanted $62K!

Now the low mile, perfect 996 GT2 that it was parked next too when I was there, that is a special car. Owned by one of the top mechanics at the shop and definitely drool worthy.

As for the '01 'hate' above, umm no. I'd take a clean '01 in a second over a less nice '02. Factory X50? Who really cares, you can get WHATEVER power you want out of these cars at a really reasonable cost. '05 S with PCCB's? Do you really want 12 year old PCCB's? Hell, just the dealer inspection on them is several hundred dollars to tell you if you need to spend closer to $10K replacing them (when everyone goes back to steel anyway...) And the first gen pccb's had even more issues than the later ones. Not to mention a minimum of 12 years of tire changes hoping not one of them chipped a rotor when pulling the wheel. I'd take PCCB's on a 996TT I was considering, but I wouldn't spend a dime extra for them.
I completely agree with everything you said. I meant no ill will towards the '01's. I'm saying all things being equal I'd rather have an '02 than an '01 simply because it has a glovebox whereas the '01 does not. That being said, like you pointed out, I'd never take a lesser condition '02 over a better condition '01 for the same price. My comments were simply to show how absurd his asking price is being that he's trying to make it sound like a "collectible" car when as you pointed out, it's not. Nice car none the less and would love to have it as a driver!

Last edited by ScottKelly911; 07-06-2017 at 05:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 12:53 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Yeah, but according to the ebay ad, it's got equipment from the factory like AWD and climate control.
Old 07-05-2017, 01:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mffarrell
It's called a wishing price.
+1
Old 07-05-2017, 01:45 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think it's kind of interesting that just a couple of years ago many of us were complaining/commmenting about how these cars were undervalued and now some are complaining/commenting about the prices being asked as too high.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:02 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I think it's kind of interesting that just a couple of years ago many of us were complaining/commmenting about how these cars were undervalued and now some are complaining/commenting about the prices being asked as too high.
You are correct, Carlo. I think there's been a paradigm shift in this forum over the past 2 years. There are fewer original owners that bought in at $120k+ and more guys that bought in at ~$40k. That skews perspective quite a bit - my car had depreciated well over $100k from new at the time I bought it, which is the only way I could justify buying it. So, that depreciation was a good thing for me, but not so much for the original owner.

Also, those are 2 completely different types of owners. That's not to say one type is better than the other, they are just different. I'm one of the latter types - much more cost-conscious and try to wrench on my own car when I can to save some $$ and enjoy doing it. I have a great indy mechanic and cannot envision taking my car to the local dealer for service. The bought-it-new owner probably has a completely different mindset than me.
Old 07-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And since I'm up on my soapbox, and again also not trying to be a jerk, I would like to comment on this concept of "collectibility".

If a 914, which is basically a VW, and all G series 911s, which they made almost 100,000 of, are now considered collectible. How will a 996TT not be a "collectable" in the future? For Pete's sake they made a million first generation Mustangs and they are all collectibles to some degree.

Will the 996TT be as collectable and have the value of the GT2s and GT3s? Of course not, but so what. It will still be a collectible.

Even among 966TTs some will be higher value than others. With Turbo S and X50s in rare colors leading the way, but in the end all will be a collectible.

If there are any English majors in the house please let me know if I have the collectable/collectible thing correct.
Old 07-05-2017, 03:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

^I would agree.

A lot of 996 Turbos were ridden hard and put away wet. I definitely see clean and original examples becoming more collectible. Especially manual coupes with X-50. There were a good amount of early 911's too at one time, but a lot didn't survive the unfortunate modding stages of the 80's and 90's. Leaving us with less good cars to chose from if we want something that hasn't been molested. I can see the same with the 996 Turbo, many were modded and thrashed. And if you're looking for an original example you have considerably less options today than you had a few years ago. If you want a nice one prices will only go up from here. My 0.02.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:20 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Boy has the tune changed, I use to get my *** handed to me every time I said they would become collectable. I'm happy to see prices rising and the car starting to get the credit it deserves.

Quick Reply: The Prestige Thread - Finest 996TT Market Finds