Just spotted this.

PTS Gulf Blue 996TT X50 Cab

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2004-Porsche...-/332037615830
Old 11-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

It's been on before.
Cab and auto or I'd have bought it last go around.

Have a soft spot for that color.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:50 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,805 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Just a data-point for us 996TT seekers. Looked at an estate sale 2002 Turbo yesterday. Sealed bid.

Spoiler: Car sold for $33,500... (my bid was significantly lower.)

Car details:
  • Dark blue over gray, 48K miles
  • Factory aero kit, but was missing aero front lip.
  • Sat for 3 years un-driven and outside., but dealer just flushed/filled gas and changed oil. Dealer didn't test drive the car beyond that.
  • Starts and runs with no apparent smoke or rough running.
  • Stored outside even when it was driven the previous 5+ years.
  • Paint didn't have any obvious major flaws, but plenty of weathering.
  • Headlights as yellowed and cloudy as I've ever seen.
  • OEM wheels missing, aftermarket wheels badly curb-rashed and peeling, one completely dented and flat, car sitting on spare. 0% life left in tires.
  • Both window regulators bad, door microswitches bad. Car stored with windows partially down.
  • Interior very dirty, leather cracked.
  • Radio dead.
  • Shift boot torn.
  • Floor mats trashed.
  • Single key.
  • Clean carfax but multiple owners.
  • No test drives.
  • No PPI.
  • No records.

Damn, is this what has become of the 996 TT market?
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2016, 05:17 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
For a piece of junk, estate sale car... sounds like it sold high.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:42 PM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
For a piece of junk, estate sale car... sounds like it sold high.
exactly....sounds like a piece of $hit to me...somebody overpaid big-time.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope they go up in value just to keep "owners" like them away from these cars. Idiots!
Old 11-20-2016, 08:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

I agree... just amazed at some of the junk I'm seeing when looking at cars. Though I did see a very nice one today. Bigger price tag than I was looking, but checked all the right boxes.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:24 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, don't get discouraged - just remember that the well-priced cars don't sit on the market very long. As for that estate sale 996, let's say you bought it for $33,500 and:
1. Bought and installed youself an aero front lip from ebay ($75)
2. Took it to a detail shop to have interior cleaned and paint correction ($500)
3. Had the headlights professionally polished back to clear ($100)
4. Bought a nice set of used turbo twists ($1000)
5. Bought a new set of Sumi HTR-ZIII's, mounted, balanced ($750)
6. New aftermarket radio installed ($250)
7. New shift boot ($50)
8. New high-quality floor mats front and back ($200)
9. Second key ($450) and have the dealer pull the records while you are having the key done ($0)
10. Two new window regulators installed youself off ebay ($250)
Total $3,625
So, now you're all in on a 48k mile 996tt with factory aerokit at $37,125 in arguably decent condition with all that attention just paid to it. Sure, there are a few unknowns, but the drivetrain on these cars is pretty robust. I'd say you could drive that car for a couple of years to "rehabilitate" it's reputation by keeping meticulous records and giving it some time under the watch of an enthusiast owner, and then sell it for $40,000.
Even a year to a year and a half ago when I was searching (arguably the bottom of the market), salvage title cars on the Copart (insurance) auction were selling for $25k. To get anything in the $30k's now, you'll have to take a little leap of faith on some aspect of the car.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:49 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Well, don't get discouraged - just remember that the well-priced cars don't sit on the market very long. As for that estate sale 996, let's say you bought it for $33,500 and:
1. Bought and installed youself an aero front lip from ebay ($75)
2. Took it to a detail shop to have interior cleaned and paint correction ($500)
3. Had the headlights professionally polished back to clear ($100)
4. Bought a nice set of used turbo twists ($1000)
5. Bought a new set of Sumi HTR-ZIII's, mounted, balanced ($750)
6. New aftermarket radio installed ($250)
7. New shift boot ($50)
8. New high-quality floor mats front and back ($200)
9. Second key ($450) and have the dealer pull the records while you are having the key done ($0)
10. Two new window regulators installed youself off ebay ($250)
Total $3,625
So, now you're all in on a 48k mile 996tt with factory aerokit at $37,125 in arguably decent condition with all that attention just paid to it. Sure, there are a few unknowns, but the drivetrain on these cars is pretty robust. I'd say you could drive that car for a couple of years to "rehabilitate" it's reputation by keeping meticulous records and giving it some time under the watch of an enthusiast owner, and then sell it for $40,000.
Even a year to a year and a half ago when I was searching (arguably the bottom of the market), salvage title cars on the Copart (insurance) auction were selling for $25k. To get anything in the $30k's now, you'll have to take a little leap of faith on some aspect of the car.
I did the same math (though I think a few of your line items are a bit low)... Problem is you factor in a high likelihood of additional issues (remember, that list was just my quick look list, no test drive, no PPI, no ability to really even check out the underside, already had dealer records and they showed basically non-existant maintenance) and your into that $40K turbo for a good bit more than $40K. High potential for clutch, clutch slave, possible cooling system issues from ancient coolant, brake pistons possibly gummed up from never having fluid changed, basically anyone who would neglect their car as badly as this car was neglected would likely decline to fix anything that was working sub-optimlaly.

Looked at a really nice '02 Turbo today for $47K, need to decide very quickly wether to pull the trigger as it will be gone. A few more miles than I would like at that price, but the car is definitely one of the nicer turbo's I've seen with a few well done upgrades.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:30 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

You definitely have a valid point, pfbz. Just trying to stay positive.

Good luck with the search - remember that part's half the fun. Be patient, but also be ready to act when the right car does come along. My car was on the market for a grand total of about 8 hours before I put down a non-refundable $1,000 deposit. I have no doubt it would have sold in the 4 days before I could make it out to NYC to see it in person had I not put down that deposit. I had to take a $1,000 leap of faith, but it worked out beautifully.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:30 AM
ScottKelly911
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
Just a data-point for us 996TT seekers. Looked at an estate sale 2002 Turbo yesterday. Sealed bid.

Spoiler: Car sold for $33,500... (my bid was significantly lower.)

Car details:
  • Dark blue over gray, 48K miles
  • Factory aero kit, but was missing aero front lip.
  • Sat for 3 years un-driven and outside., but dealer just flushed/filled gas and changed oil. Dealer didn't test drive the car beyond that.
  • Starts and runs with no apparent smoke or rough running.
  • Stored outside even when it was driven the previous 5+ years.
  • Paint didn't have any obvious major flaws, but plenty of weathering.
  • Headlights as yellowed and cloudy as I've ever seen.
  • OEM wheels missing, aftermarket wheels badly curb-rashed and peeling, one completely dented and flat, car sitting on spare. 0% life left in tires.
  • Both window regulators bad, door microswitches bad. Car stored with windows partially down.
  • Interior very dirty, leather cracked.
  • Radio dead.
  • Shift boot torn.
  • Floor mats trashed.
  • Single key.
  • Clean carfax but multiple owners.
  • No test drives.
  • No PPI.
  • No records.

Sounds like you got a great buy for your money that you didn't end up spending! Because had you won, who knows what lurks underneath! Congratulations on NOT winning this one
Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+1, Im kind of surprised this car got sold for such a high number. If I had to choose between this car and cburkes car that just sold on Bat for less I would've definitely gone with cburkes well sorted and fully functional car. One of these selling prices was an anomaly. Or maybe they both were???

Originally Posted by kcattorney
Old 11-21-2016, 01:11 PM
Signalmtb
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks to be a good one at a good price:

https://checkeredflagporsche.com/inventory/Porsche+911+Turbo+Virginia+Beach+Virginia+2003+Slate+Gray+Metallic+88428 4
Old 11-21-2016, 01:45 PM
GTsilber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Signalmtb
Looks to be a good one at a good price:

https://checkeredflagporsche.com/inventory/Porsche+911+Turbo+Virginia+Beach+Virginia+2003+Slate+Gray+Metallic+88428 4
sold.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:19 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gophaster
+1, Im kind of surprised this car got sold for such a high number. If I had to choose between this car and cburkes car that just sold on Bat for less I would've definitely gone with cburkes well sorted and fully functional car. One of these selling prices was an anomaly. Or maybe they both were???
Agree 100%. I was shocked at how cheap his car sold for on BaT. Unfortunately, I have a (non-Porsche) car that will be up on BaT any day now - I just approved the final ad this evening. Hopefully it fares better.

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds