Sponsored by:

Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:11 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by pfbz
I also had one very brief email interaction with the seller WAY back when he first listed the car... I can't remember the details but the seller left me with the following impressions: 1) A difficult to work with seller with little interest in communicating with potential buyers, 2) wanted a premium price for the car, and 3) a very *unmotivated* seller.

Maybe he has softened a bit in the six months or so he's been trying to sell the car.
It wouldn't surprise me if someone (e.g. - wife) were forcing him to list the car for sale, but he really doesn't want to sell. From time to time, you do see those type ads. This has the markings of one.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,471 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
If I were in the market for a 996 Turbo, those photos would not prevent me from investigating that car.
Those poor photos might not discourage you but they will discourage some. Thus they shrink the possible pool of buyers and hurt the highest possible value of the car.

Old 05-01-2018, 01:32 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I've saved a lot of money by buying poorly marketed cars. And unpopular mods are also great for keeping away a certain type of buyer. Just read comments on BAT. People appear to reject many cars for the most trivial reasons... Unfortunately the referenced CL listing is no longer there.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:30 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Those poor photos might not discourage you but they will discourage some. Thus they shrink the possible pool of buyers and hurt the highest possible value of the car.
And they may encourage some, thus potentially increasing the pool of buyers.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:47 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 90 Posts

Poor photos might encourage buyers? Stop trolling, Dock.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:59 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manimal
Well first off, I don't consider them "poor photos", and second off, I'm not trolling, and would appreciate you not slinging that label around, manimal.

Yes, an understated car advertisement could well encourage people to seek more information on a car. And to state the obvious, the more people that contact the seller, the better the chance of a sale.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:23 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

I love you, you have a lot of good posts and a lot of good knowledge to contribute. There is just no need to be so contrarian (and I'm a contrarian).
Old 05-01-2018, 05:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

And they may encourage some, thus potentially increasing the pool of buyers.
Wrong as usual, Troll attempt another failure.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

His likes the attention.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I love you, you have a lot of good posts and a lot of good knowledge to contribute.
Then stop with the "troll" thing.

There is just no need to be so contrarian (and I'm a contrarian).
I'm not attempting to be contrarian. Do you think this is a forum that requires everybody to think the same??

NoogaSparrow and I agree about the pictures not being a limiting factor, and I believe techweenie (if I'm interpreting his post correctly) understands that the quality of the advertisement doesn't always indicate that there is a reason to run away from a car, and in fact may indicate a "sleeper" car that could end up being a good buy. I'm sure there are others here that feel the same way.

I have never spent much time "staging" any vehicle I've ever sold, either in terms of pictures, or in the written description of the vehicle. All of those vehicles sold.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:52 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Then stop with the "troll" thing...
You are the "trolling thing", when you stop, it stops.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:15 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Exactly.

Selling cars is like fishing, you need to get the ad in front of as many potential buyers as possible and with the right bait. Tiny low resolution photos will cause most to keep swiping and never see the ad.

I've been asked time and time again "why isn't my car selling" and 9/10 times the ad is poor due to the photographs. Correct that, poof.....leads start rolling in.

In this day and age where the cheapest phone on the market produces high resolution photographs, there is little excuse for such things.

If you are really that incapable of taking decent photos, call the local high-school and hire some kid in the mass media club for $50 to take some.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:10 AM
928 DesMoines
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

Speaking of photos......
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/d/2001-porsche-turbotrade/6576460274.html

Photos are horrible, but the car seems priced right with a unique red color. I like it! But yeah, the ad could use more content and BETTER PHOTOs!

Last edited by 928 DesMoines; 05-02-2018 at 01:11 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-02-2018, 02:57 AM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Then stop with the "troll" thing.

I'm not attempting to be contrarian. Do you think this is a forum that requires everybody to think the same??

NoogaSparrow and I agree about the pictures not being a limiting factor, and I believe techweenie (if I'm interpreting his post correctly) understands that the quality of the advertisement doesn't always indicate that there is a reason to run away from a car, and in fact may indicate a "sleeper" car that could end up being a good buy. I'm sure there are others here that feel the same way.

I have never spent much time "staging" any vehicle I've ever sold, either in terms of pictures, or in the written description of the vehicle. All of those vehicles sold.
This is not about disagreeing viewpoints. Like I said, I disagree with people a lot, and I respect it when people can respectfully disagree.

This is about picking absolutely untenable positions, that no one holds, and no one could reasonably hold, unless they were doing it specifically out of spite. For example: poor photos being a boon to selling a car. No one in the history of the world, has ever thought that poor quality photos will help sell a car.

A few here have mentioned that the photos wouldn't stop them from checking out the car in the interest of maybe buying it. I don't see anyone who has disagreed with those folks. No one has suggested that it's a good strategy to post a couple of ****ty pictures when you're trying to sell your car.

The fact that I have to explain the above to engage you on the "merits" is why people think you're trolling.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:32 AM
NoogaSparrow
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Exactly.

Selling cars is like fishing, you need to get the ad in front of as many potential buyers as possible and with the right bait. Tiny low resolution photos will cause most to keep swiping and never see the ad.

I've been asked time and time again "why isn't my car selling" and 9/10 times the ad is poor due to the photographs. Correct that, poof.....leads start rolling in.

In this day and age where the cheapest phone on the market produces high resolution photographs, there is little excuse for such things.

If you are really that incapable of taking decent photos, call the local high-school and hire some kid in the mass media club for $50 to take some.
I don't think this is the 'discussion'. While I agree that the bad photos wouldn't discourage me, I do agree that the photos leave A LOT to be desired. BUT... if I'm in the market, and it's a hot market, then of course I would look further into it. The pictures show nothing negative about the car except the owner has no photography skills with his/her potato phone camera.

If this were for a newer 100k+ car, then that may be a different story, but for this 'relative' price-range, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the car is still a prime example and the owner just sucks at photography...
In addition, at least he didn't take screenshots from pictures on his phone, then upload them in the vertical plane with the huge black bars on each side... seen it too many times as well

Quick Reply: Craigslist, EBay and Other Online Finds