Sponsored by:

WAY OT, Best Places To Live

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 12:13 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Ian, New Hampshire-Live Free or Die!! right! I like that state!
Old 09-24-2003, 02:19 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He's probably confusing New Hampshire with Vermont, home of Governor Howard Dean. Y'all look alike on the map. It's hard to remember those little-bitty Eastern states.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:27 AM
offroadr35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thought i'd ressurrect this thread for a minute. Has anyone ever lived in Hawaii? What's it like? obviously i know it is gorgeous, i'm looking for a bit more.

-Steve
Old 10-22-2003, 11:13 AM
morganb
Instructor

My first post on your board, been some good reading.

Trojan Man

How about Australia,?its great mate. I spent 2 years in Adelaide. Besides your request 1 it satisifies all you requests

1. Be somehwhere in the contiguous U.S.
No

2. Have a mild climate similar to So Cal
Yes, great climate, very mild winters, never snows. Vitrtually no humidity and quite a dry climate.

3. Have a state and local government consisting of people who actually make sense and don't want to simply tax, spend, and regulate me to death.
Generally OK as long as you do not smoke. The Aust Govt either lets smokers kill themselves with Nicotine or taxes them to death.

4. Have a major airport & good shopping nearby (to satisfy the woman)
Many shopping centers and an international airport

5. Have a good supply of newer homes at reasonable prices (which should be easy compared to L.A.)
A home 15-20 minutes south of city centre in beachside suburb (4 BRs and sea view) can be purchased for about $US 180K

6. If possible, it should be a coastal community, or within a decent drive of some sort of large body of water
As in 5

Also great driving through the Hills, many wineries nearby.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:38 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

Las Vegas, in Early May of this year, when I went there for a sales meeting, was 119 degrees. I can't really believe people live there. How does anything get done?
Old 10-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Offroad - Hawaii is a very tropical climate as you probably know. It is very hot and humid in the summers although spring & winter are pleasant. Unfortunately, the cost of living in Hawaii is very high because everything has to be imported from the "mainland". Also, taxes are higher than average, gun regulations are strict, and it was ranked by MSNBC as one of the top 10 WORST places to run a small business. So much for living in paradise....

Morgan - I have never been "down under", but my uncle travels there quite a lot. From what he has said, Eastern Australia has a climate very very similar to that of California. I've heard that the people are easygoing and that it is generally a very pleasant place to live. My 2 biggest problems are that it is an 18 hour flight from all of my family and friends and they have an extraordinarily restrictive gun policy.

Brendan - Vegas definitely has its hot seasons (like 9 months of the year) but it is generally ok as long as you have some good air conditioning. I love it simply because it is a 3.5 hour drive or 50 minute flight from So Cal and there are world-class restaurants & shopping all over the place. In fact, I like vegas so much that I put a deposit down on a new house that will be ready in 1 year!

Old 10-22-2003, 01:31 PM
nman413
Drifting

From what I hear, the Australian Telco is very evil though.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:12 PM
rutz964C4
Racer

You should go to Spain some areas the climate is like in Socal, good Shopping, excellent food 7 to 8 h flight to the US, the gun policy is not as liberal as in the States but you won´t need a gun unless you go hunting.

Highways: here you could really test the car

ALEX
Old 10-22-2003, 04:45 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Austalia's extraordinarilt tough anti-gun laws are possibly responsible for the lack of gun related crimes over there. In the 22 years I lived in Perth, from birth to coming to the UK in 1992, I recall NO gun killings and a handful of armed events.

I like no guns!!

If you think the gun laws are restrictive, you should see the anti drink driving and anti-speeding measures!! More speed cameras per head in Perth than anywhere in the world!!
Old 10-22-2003, 05:21 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

The last thing I want to do is turn this into a politcal debate, but in John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime", there are numerous credible statistics that illustrate far less violent crime per capita in areas where law-abiding citizens are permitted to carry firearms.

The theory is that because potential criminals do not know who might be carrying a gun, they are less likely to commit strongarm crimes. On the other hand, in areas that ban guns such as in New York City, criminals know that innocent law-abiding people WILL be unarmed, so you have some of the highest personal crime rates per capita in the U.S.

It is a proven fact that gun control laws do nothing to prevent criminals from getting guns, as they get them in the black market. These laws simply prevent law abiding citizens from getting guns.

It does not matter whether you are a Republican, a Democrat, or a Martian - the crime statistics do not lie - MORE GUNS = LESS CRIME (at least in the US) .
Old 10-22-2003, 07:49 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ryan

I agree - don't mention gun crime on a car forum - as it will just get us folks (both pro gun & pro 'no guns') all riled up.

So, have you narrowed your choice down for the ultimate place to live???
Old 10-22-2003, 08:05 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Northern Ireland?....there are plenty of guns there. Didn't I just read a survey where Belfast (surprise!) was one of the best cities in Europe in which to live.

johnfm,

why would you ever leave WA (Perth)?, it's a wonderful place and I spend 2 weeks per year in Margaret River. You just ahve to watch out for the 'roos at dusk.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:31 PM
mike_la_jolla
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How about two places and split the time?

I have though about this a bit recently. I live in La Jolla, so I’m not entirely certain I can improve the situation. I just spent a few days in Waikiki, and that is, ummmm, overrated. I have to assume that the other islands are more impressive. I would strike Hawaii as a permanent place to live.

I have decided that the best thing to do is have two houses. Southern California, excluding the government, is about as good as it gets. But the taxes are too high. If you spend six months + 1 day in Lake Tahoe, Nevada, or Sun valley, Idaho, you would avoid the taxes. The months of May, June, and July suck in Southern Cal and those three months would be nice in the mountains. So that would leave three other months to spend someplace else.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:34 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Trojan Man
Morgan - I have never been "down under", but my uncle travels there quite a lot. From what he has said, Eastern Australia has a climate very very similar to that of California. I've heard that the people are easygoing and that it is generally a very pleasant place to live. My 2 biggest problems are that it is an 18 hour flight from all of my family and friends and they have an extraordinarily restrictive gun policy.
I took a shooting class once and one of the other students was an Aussie that came to the U.S. for a 2 month shooting vacation. He was travelling around the country, shooting at various ranges, taking classes, and shooting in matches. He could hardly shoot back home, so he was getting 3 years worth of shooting in until his next vacation.

Brendan - Vegas definitely has its hot seasons (like 9 months of the year) but it is generally ok as long as you have some good air conditioning. I love it simply because it is a 3.5 hour drive or 50 minute flight from So Cal and there are world-class restaurants & shopping all over the place. In fact, I like vegas so much that I put a deposit down on a new house that will be ready in 1 year!

Congrats! Did you decide on the condo near the strip or the bigger house on the edge of town?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:46 AM
sawmilldriver
Instructor

Originally posted by Trojan Man
The last thing I want to do is turn this into a politcal debate, but in John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime", there are numerous credible statistics that illustrate far less violent crime per capita in areas where law-abiding citizens are permitted to carry firearms.

The theory is that because potential criminals do not know who might be carrying a gun, they are less likely to commit strongarm crimes. On the other hand, in areas that ban guns such as in New York City, criminals know that innocent law-abiding people WILL be unarmed, so you have some of the highest personal crime rates per capita in the U.S.

It is a proven fact that gun control laws do nothing to prevent criminals from getting guns, as they get them in the black market. These laws simply prevent law abiding citizens from getting guns.

It does not matter whether you are a Republican, a Democrat, or a Martian - the crime statistics do not lie - MORE GUNS = LESS CRIME (at least in the US) .
at least you qualified your comments with "at least in the US", I am from the UK where law abiding citizens are not permitted to carry firearms, and the crime statistics there do not lie either, significantly less violent crime than in the United States

apologies for responding to a gun post on a car forum

Quick Reply: WAY OT, Best Places To Live