Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WAY OT, Best Places To Live

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2003, 04:04 AM
Ryan S.
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second, or rather threehundred and 43rd the Austin choice. Im surprised how many people Picked austin as one of the best citys to live in. Im so dang ready to leave Houston and move to Austin. Houston is a cool city to live in, but the dang humidity is really starting to drive me crazy. Ive delt with it for way to long. My brother just moved to austin a couple weeks ago and absoulutley loves it. He really likes there outdoor sports scene. The university area is really nice too. Im defiantley going to move there asap.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:59 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oldguy,
I grew up in So. Cal so I know exactly how you feel and the take over of Ca. by Mexico has been an ugly reality.
I guess we will have the privilege of becoming the first Mexican citizens but then again I may be denied because I don't speak Spanish too good. That being the case I will take my guns and move to Nevada. It has good climate, housing is very reasonable compared to what you pay for and get in Ca. If that doesn't work there's always Western Australia
Old 09-21-2003, 11:33 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Blitz I hear you and you know whats funny? the American-Mexicans
or Mexican-Americans or properly said Americans of mexican descent
feel just like us.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

OG,

I am 1/2 mexican, 1/2 hungarian & exactly like you said, I am appalled at the ridiculousness of the illegal immigration problems here in Kali.

On a lighter note, I went to Vegas on Saturday for the sole purpose of house-shopping. I found a fabulous luxury condo on the south end of the strip (2bd, 2ba) for around $200K.

In Southern Highlands, a new golf-course & master planned community, I also found a 2400 sq ft. single family house for around $250K.

While these 2 places are far from the cheapest places in Las Vegas, they are by far the nicest in their price range. Both of them are about 12 months until build-out. BTW, both are guard-gated brand new communities.

Now I eventually want to make it out to Austin, but I think I'll do Vegas in the interim. That being said, should I get the condo and save $50K over the house AND have no maintenance to worry about, lower property taxes, full concierge service, pool, health club, and be 5 minutes from the Mandalay Bay?

OR, should I spring for the extra $50K for a detached house (which would really stretch me), have to deal with higher taxes, much more maintenance and lanscaping, and a 10 mile drive to the Strip?

Old 09-22-2003, 12:52 PM
johnfm
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Blitz951

let me know what work you find in Western Australia!! I'm from Perth and would love an excuse to leave the UK and go back! Great beaches - but Porsches are expensive!!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:55 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ryan,
I am half Mexican and 1/2 swiss also known
as a BeanerSchnitzel.
If you are gonna temp
in Vegas-then Condo, till you get to Austin
my home state.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:14 PM
Ghost Rider
Banned

I can probably help you rule out one location: Kansas

Oceans? What's that? Bodies of water? yes, we got 3 kinds: swimmin holes, fishin holes and criks...

Humidity? 106 degrees with 98% humidity just 2 weeks ago, but you can save on showers, word to the wise, you don't have to be close to a body of water to have high humidity.

Weather? Tornados, floods, drought, the usual suspects, centennial earthquakes, but haven't seen a hurricane in quite awhile...

Airport? We do have the fastest in and out airport in the country, but you don't mind driving hours to get there do you?

Shopping? See "General Store", or head southeast to Arkansas home of Wal-Mart.

Winters? -30 is easily attained from the prairie winds during winter months. Snow? some years very little, other years your own personal igloo, keeps it interesting.

Traffic? Roads aren't crowded, but it is hard to pass on a one lane dirt road...

Crime? We had a linchin last year for the one murder in our county, some foreigner (someone from outside the county) done the crime...

Edjukation? The only state to have its legislature decree that creationism must be taught alongside evolution in school (later overturned when someone read the constitution)

Stuff to do? Huntn, fishin, rodeo, and oh yeah, roads so long and so flat that 190 in a GT3 can be attained...

Cost of living: 3 bedroom SOD hut goes for 6 bits or something like that... shave and a haircut is still less than 10 cents, er dollars...

Foriegn language studies: You will have to come to understand terms such as "y'all, fixin'ta, reckonso, ragler, that is of course if you plan to live inthesehereparts....

Oh yeah, and 3 Porsche dealers in the state...
Old 09-22-2003, 02:21 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ghost what are you talking about!!!! You got a great football
team!!! Kansas State!!! why they are ranked #6 in the
WHOLLLLLEEE Coun.......................... oh wait they
lost to Marshall??!!of the MAC??!!
Old 09-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Scott5
Instructor

Any east coast - coast info folks? After vacationing in Duck, NC (yeah - I know first hand about the hurricane risk) I've been thinking about VA, NC, SC, maybe even maine... for some point in the distant future...

I know this is probably the wrong coast for trojan, but I'd be interested in what everyone thought... Geeze - I miss that ocean and my sound-machine alarm clock thing just isn't doing it for me!
Old 09-22-2003, 07:06 PM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trojan, don't forget the city of Las Vegas has handgun registration. That's worse than California in my book. Are either or both of those locations in the city limits? Assuming that's not a problem, I tend to lean to Southern Highlands. They just sent me a brochure (no lie!) and the place looks friggin gorgeous. I also can't stand traffic, and there've been many times when Strip traffic near the Mandalay Bay has been Oh-my-God-I-wanna-slash-my-wrists horrible. It's taken me 20 minutes to get out of the parking lot and through 3 lights.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:49 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Yeah I toured the whole area of Southern Highlands. I'm very attracted to it because it is like a mini-Irvine. It is only 2.5 years into its 8 year master plan, so there will be tremendous growth in the coming years (aka property values will skyrocket...hopefully). There is already a restaurant/pub open 24 hours, and 2 more full shopping centers are scheduled to open.

Although I don't golf, the best part about the So. Highlands is the country club. I personally cannot afford to live within the gates of the country club, but I did tour the model homes. They are absolutely stunning, and their larger models (5,000 sq ft+) rival the finest custom mansions in newport and beverly hills. If anyone has an extra $700K - $1MM laying around, I'd definitely recommend you take a look.

My deciding factor will be this: I called both developers and asked for the list of standard features as well as the list of upgrades with prices. I will consider what features are standard and add up what upgrades I like & want and the best final price will probably win.

I know that this thread has gone off into a wild tangent from the topic of Porsches, but I truly thank all of you for your opinions.

BTW, don't feel the need to stop adding to this - if you have something to say, let's hear it!!
Old 09-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Ian964
Pro

Upstate, New York - No way.... I lived in rochester NY for 5 years and it totaly sucked. I drove ALOT in all of upstate new york and all their is farms, cows and hicks. In 90% of the area you WILL NOT see a car other then FORD or Chevy. This is once you get more then 10 miles outside a major city, (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, Utica). I felt like I was in that movie deliverance. The weather SUCKS. Their is a reason the realestate is so cheap....

I love Coastal New England. We have the ocean, low crime, great schools, close to boston and NYC. Mountains are 1-2 hours away. No sales or income tax (in new hampshire anyway). Sure the property value is high but you get what you pay for. Supply and demand.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:14 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Ian964

I love Coastal New England. We have the ocean, low crime, great schools, close to boston and NYC. Mountains are 1-2 hours away. No sales or income tax (in new hampshire anyway).
But you forgot to mention 1 very important thing:

New England is unbearably liberal.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:50 PM
mjc123
Instructor

How about Chicago? Winter sucks, but near the lake.

Dallas is great in the spring and the fall. The winter is cold and wet and the summer is hot and humid. yuck. The city is pro-business, housing realtively cheap, and D/FW airport will get you direct to most places. I suggest splitting your time between a city like Chicago/Dallas and a coastal city like Miami or San Diego.

I currently split time between Dallas, and Rancho Santa Fe (outside San Diego), and am considering a spot on flathead lake in montana for a real getaway.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:55 PM
Ian964
Pro

New Hampshire isn't liberal, its one of the most conservative states in the country!

Quick Reply: WAY OT, Best Places To Live