Sponsored by:

COMPARISON: PORSCHE 996 VS VETTE

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default COMPARISON: PORSCHE 996 VS VETTE

I hope I don't offend anyone but couldn't help sharing my first impressions of the differences between these two cars. Similar in the end result but way different in the approach;

1) Porsche is like a finely honed scalpel, Corvette is like a 10" butcher knife. Both will hack up anything in sight but way different approach.

2) Corvette is like a sledge hammer with thrust, immediate and sometimes beyond some control (Z06 w/ 505 hp) Porsche is stunning in acceleration but more like a jet taking off than the slam in the back side

3) Steering: Porsche is much lighter, smoother and seems more controlled. Corvette is accurate but heavier, less accurate and requires more attention to get it to in the right direction.

4) Throttle steering: Porsche..............forget it, AWD isn't going to allow it. Corvette is a lot of fun to throttle steer even at higher speeds

5) Seats: Here, there is no comparison. Corvette seats suck, Porsche seats are made for your butt and backside, feel comfortable even after a long drive. Better yet, make you feel secure without smothering you in a hole.

6) Ride: Both are stiff, but the Porsche feels more secure over bumps than the Vette, especially in a corner or sweeper. Anyone who has driven a Z06 at Sebring in turn 17 knows how it's a real strain on your heart. And I've had more than one Porsche cut inside me and beat me out of the turn.

7) Fuel consumption: No comparison here, the Vette clearly will outdo the Porsche. 22.4 mpg/78 mph with the Porsche, 26.8 mpg/80 mph with the Z06. reason is rpm. 2800 rpm on the Porsche vs. 1800 rpm with the Z06.

8) Fuel range: 19 gallons with the Vette with better gas mileage means fewer stops to fill up vs. the 16.9 gallons in the Porsche and worse gas mileage.

9) Head turning appearance: pretty equal there, both cars are gorgeous

10) residual value: not sure, both hold their values well and have a huge core support.

11) Fit and finish: not even close here, the award goes to the Porsche in most every category...........quality of materials, quality of assembly, choice of equipment. German quality is evident. Too bad GM doesn't see it.

12) Fun to drive: I love both of them. I'm more likely to take the Z06 on a long trip because I can pack a lot of luggage and still be comfortable. The Porsche really doesn't hold very much in terms of luggage but perhaps there are a few tricks I don't know about. In mine, the former owner put in a huge Kenwood amp in the front trunk which now allows room for several tooth brushes.

13) Electronic gadgets: Both have their little toys, each has its strengths but are different. Corvette is more about track activity, Porsche seems to be more about cruising.

14) Seating position: I like the Porsche a little better but both are quite good.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:25 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

How old is the Z06. TT was out late 2000. It's a pretty old car also stock TT was made to be a GT car. On track does the Z06 still have better gas mileage?

The C6 Z06 was the first Corvette I've seen in a long time, that I thought looked good. Still though the Porsche is classic and prettier. I like the looks of the C7 much more and it is said to be more of a scalpel now and the next Z will be a beast. I'm sure I'll have to start giving it a pass by now. Though my TT (suspension and chip) doesn't have any problem keeping up to the C6 Z06 on the straights and I eat them up in the corners.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
How old is the Z06. TT was out late 2000. It's a pretty old car also stock TT was made to be a GT car. On track does the Z06 still have better gas mileage?

The C6 Z06 was the first Corvette I've seen in a long time, that I thought looked good. Still though the Porsche is classic and prettier. I like the looks of the C7 much more and it is said to be more of a scalpel now and the next Z will be a beast. I'm sure I'll have to start giving it a pass by now. Though my TT (suspension and chip) doesn't have any problem keeping up to the C6 Z06 on the straights and I eat them up in the corners.
My Z06 is a 2007, the second year of the C6Z06, and the basis for my comparison. Since I haven't tracked the 996, I can't compare fuel consumption of it vs the Z06 on a track event. The Z06 would use up about 40 gallons of 93 octane pump gas on a typical track day with 5 sessions on a fast track like Roebling or Sebring, less at Barber or Talladega GPR. Daytona where we were running 175 mph on the front straight, we used up 65 gallons in one day. This is why I now track and race my Lotus 7..............much less gas, tires last all year as do brake pads. I think the 996 TT would gobble up gas, tires and brake pads as well due to its 3500 lbs and obvious speed capability. Not made for a guy on a budget for sure. Won't find out because this car won't see a track day, strictly a road queen.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:16 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Not made for a guy on a budget for sure.
Tell me about it. Just had a catastrophic failure of my box at Barber last month, third gear. Ring/pinion gouged, but intact; case was magnafluxed, no cracks. I was quoted $17K for a full rebuild (all new gears, steel synchros, new LSD, etc). Another $5K for an external oil cooler/spray bar setup (a la GT2). Total: $22K

As the old saying goes: "What part of Porsche racing did you think was gonna be cheap?"
Old 01-09-2014, 11:21 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

For comparison KBB value on a 2007 Z06 is $26K.
Just $4K more than my box rebuild.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:48 AM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

I feel your pain. Now you can understand why I switched to racing the Lotus 7. It is just plain painless.

Race something cheaper to fix and maintain than either Porsche or Corvette. Or if you're good at fixing things yourself and have a place to do it along with the tools, you can save a bunch on the labor but you still have to buy the parts. At least Chevy parts are cheap (yeah, I know, cheaply made too). Porsche's aren"t. I'm getting my key replaced and reprogrammed right now as I sit in the Porsche dealership lounge. New electronic sender that fits inside the key is $170.63 and the reprogramming is $130.00. Ok, I'm getting free starbucks coffee in the lounge and it is ONE NICE LOUNGE. Oh, they're going to wash the car for free afterwards (nice touch). And they are very nice here, treat you like a human being. Oh, the price of enjoyment. As the commercial says, "Priceless".
Old 01-09-2014, 11:56 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
I feel your pain. Now you can understand why I switched to racing the Lotus 7. It is just plain painless.

Race something cheaper to fix and maintain than either Porsche or Corvette. Or if you're good at fixing things yourself and have a place to do it along with the tools, you can save a bunch on the labor but you still have to buy the parts. At least Chevy parts are cheap (yeah, I know, cheaply made too). Porsche's aren"t.
+1.

This is why I race a formula car (SCCA FE), and keep my 997 on the street.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:20 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

BTW, most of the cost (over 95%) is part costs. Labor cost is relatively cheap.
These cars are well made, with costly parts.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't afford to race, which is why I track a 996tt
Old 01-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

OP, you missed a big one in the comparison.

996 can carry four. Fine for my kids, a bit cramped for adults. Completely impossible under any circumstance in the 'Vette.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:31 PM
sd996tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike,

Another Caterham and 996tt owner here! I started out with C5 Z06's on the track, and love those cars. I switched to 7's because of the same reasons - much cheaper disposables. Then 2 years ago I bought a 996tt, with the intention of having a street car that I could take to the track on occassion. When my Caterham went to the shop to install a sequential transmission, I ended up on the track with the Porsche more often than I intended. I also have just had to do a complete transmission replacement. Ouch! We are putting in a GT3 transmission and getting rid of the AWD, to have the oil cooler. My thoughts are the same as you guys - the Z06's were more expensive to track than the Caterham, but much cheaper than the Porsche!

When I get the Porsche out of the shop, I intend to take it to the track only on rare occasions, and then to drive it easy. It is set up extremely well for the track, with forged internals, all the power mods including 3076's, Motons, bushings and arms, roll bar, GT3 sport seats, etc. Just about everything in the drivetrain has been replaced recently, so it is in fantastic shape. But it has destroyed my racing budget for the past two years, and if it breaks again I will have to stop racing. For this year, I am renting a Boxster and running spec Boxster with POC.

Other than the cost of replacing parts for these cars, the other lesson I've learned is that if you track a 700 hp car much, it is going to be so hard on the drivetrain and brakes that regularly rebuilding the drivetrain is inevitable. At some point I may lighten the car and devote it to the track. It is awfully fun to blow by the heavily modded GTR's on the straights, and hang with most cars in the corners. But it costs a lot to do so!

Justin
Old 01-09-2014, 01:32 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

I have both currently, I race and TT A C5 z06 in ST1 and TT1, but did track it a lot before it was a full race car, I like them both, but the Z06 is way cheaper to fix and has been very reliable stock and after the race build. I love the turbo on street and its fun to track it and feel the difference in the way you drive them both.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

At 78 my 996tt get 26.4mpg,Sometimes as high as 27.7 mpg
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to say my ZR1 (09) compared to my 03 turbo (gone) was a head and shoulders better car in my world. I had both at the same time. The comparison is probably unfair because of the age differences alone. The Interior of the Porsche was nicer in terms of the leather quality but I never got comfortable in the Porsche. Both great cars but, as daily drivers the Porsche was anemic in first gear which was embarrassing. The front end of the Porsche seemed less than planted at high speed cornering. Braking on the ZR1 was superior. Probably the best brakes I have ever experienced. I did like the raw feel of the turbo but it became tiring to drive daily in the city. Both cars do very well on the highway, however the ZR1 is just so fast and offers up tremendous pull as you work through the gears. Don't get me wrong , both cars put smiles on my face , I just could not part with the ZR1
Old 01-09-2014, 05:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
...the Porsche was anemic in first gear which was embarrassing.
Something wrong with the car then.

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
The front end of the Porsche seemed less than planted at high speed cornering.
Not with the X73 suspension.

Quick Reply: COMPARISON: PORSCHE 996 VS VETTE