COMPARISON: PORSCHE 996 VS VETTE

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
I'm more likely to take the Z06 on a long trip because I can pack a lot of luggage and still be comfortable. The Porsche really doesn't hold very much in terms of luggage but perhaps there are a few tricks I don't know about.
Indeed; the Porsche Roof Transport System.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:59 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Something wrong with the car then.

Not with the X73 suspension.
Nothing wrong with the car.
Stock suspension , not great on high speed cornering.

Think what you want about your Porsche. I know what my impressions were.

Have you driven a Z06 or ZR1? I suspect you have not.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:13 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
Nothing wrong with the car.
Stock suspension , not great on high speed cornering.

Think what you want about your Porsche. I know what my impressions were.
The 911 is a rear-engine car. It requires a different driving style to be fast when driving at the limit, just as any car with a rearward weight bias does - which is exactly how every open wheel race car works.

You have to brake LOT later than you do in a front-engine car, then wait until after the apex to get back on the power - but you can transition to full power a lot faster than you can with a front-engine car.

It's about weight transfer and evening out the force loading; if you try to drive a 911 (or an open-wheel racer) the same way as you would drive a 'Vette (or any other front-engine car), you will be slow and the car will seem to have a tendency to "push". Once you learn to use the acceleration capabilities that the rear weight bias gives you, and to use the brakes to even the weight distribution on turn-in, you'll find that it's actually a much more capable setup.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:05 PM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've driven both. I'd take a 996 turbo any day over the vette, for driving duties.
If my choice was based on financial considerations, I'd take the vette.
My opinion, of course.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
wellcraft290
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

chose the 996tt over a vette well how do I say this politically correct?

I didn't want to have to buy a vette and gold chains. With gold increasing so much was easier to just buy a pcar for some extra money
Old 01-10-2014, 04:18 PM
sd996tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a big fan of both cars. But the Z06 and ZR1 are purposed a bit different than the 996tt. A tt can easily be converted to a more sporty suspension, but stock it was intended to be more of a grand tourer I believe. In terms of the original purpose of the car, a Z06 might be better compared to a GT3, and a ZR1 to a GT2.

The corvettes and 911's are both excellent platforms, and I would be extremely happy with either!
Old 01-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by wellcraft290
chose the 996tt over a vette well how do I say this politically correct?

I didn't want to have to buy a vette and gold chains. With gold increasing so much was easier to just buy a pcar for some extra money
Yeah, I agree. Typical 'vette driver:
Attached Images  
Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Yeah, I agree. Typical 'vette driver:
Really ? That's funny. You're a funny guy Cuda. I'm really glad to get your feedback, it sure is valuable.

I sure wish you didn't post my picture on this forum. Now everybody knows what I look like. Oh well, no secrets anymore.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Melb-Mike
Really ? That's funny. You're a funny guy Cuda. I'm really glad to get your feedback, it sure is valuable.
Not only funny, but also nit-picky. You have "Florida" spelled incorrectly under your Avatar. No need to thank me, the technical editing is a freebie for a fellow RLer!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
+1.

This is why I race a formula car (SCCA FE), and keep my 997 on the street.
Formula cars are a lot of fun but very demanding, not much room for error. I admire formula car drivers since they make more happen with less than most any other class.

OP, you missed a big one in the comparison.

996 can carry four. Fine for my kids, a bit cramped for adults. Completely impossible under any circumstance in the 'Vette.
You've got to be kidding me ? You are kidding, aren't you ??? Back seats ??? For what, a guinea pig with dwarf syndrome ? Ok, and I use my Z06 to haul roof trusses.

Originally Posted by sd996tt
Mike,

Another Caterham and 996tt owner here! I started out with C5 Z06's on the track, and love those cars. I switched to 7's because of the same reasons - much cheaper disposables. Then 2 years ago I bought a 996tt, with the intention of having a street car that I could take to the track on occassion. When my Caterham went to the shop to install a sequential transmission, I ended up on the track with the Porsche more often than I intended. I also have just had to do a complete transmission replacement. Ouch! We are putting in a GT3 transmission and getting rid of the AWD, to have the oil cooler. My thoughts are the same as you guys - the Z06's were more expensive to track than the Caterham, but much cheaper than the Porsche!

When I get the Porsche out of the shop, I intend to take it to the track only on rare occasions, and then to drive it easy. It is set up extremely well for the track, with forged internals, all the power mods including 3076's, Motons, bushings and arms, roll bar, GT3 sport seats, etc. Just about everything in the drivetrain has been replaced recently, so it is in fantastic shape. But it has destroyed my racing budget for the past two years, and if it breaks again I will have to stop racing. For this year, I am renting a Boxster and running spec Boxster with POC.

Other than the cost of replacing parts for these cars, the other lesson I've learned is that if you track a 700 hp car much, it is going to be so hard on the drivetrain and brakes that regularly rebuilding the drivetrain is inevitable. At some point I may lighten the car and devote it to the track. It is awfully fun to blow by the heavily modded GTR's on the straights, and hang with most cars in the corners. But it costs a lot to do so!

Justin
You're right, it's not easy to keep throwing money year after year into a big hole that keeps eating it up. I raced the Z06 for three years and after adding up all my costs, and the wear and tear on my car, I had to find a better way. First was the Miata. Well, be able to call the wife to see what's for dinner between turns wasn't my idea of a thrill ride. Yeah, I heard all the justification for Miatas "it's a momentum car, keep it rolling fast and it will reward you". About as much fun as watching a pine tree develop bark. Then my orthopedc surgeon was selling his Caterham, so I was curious. Got a new right knee from him, why not his car to boot ? I have never looked back. It is more fun than anyone should legally have. 220 HP Zetec with 5 speed T9, carbon fiber lightweight edition, 0-60 mph in about 3.5 seconds, 60-0 is about 1 second, race tires and brake pads that last forever.................a few gallons of fuel, hardly any maintenance................what is wrong with this picture ? And I blow by a lot of very high HP cars including 997TT's, vipers, and Z06's. Then when I'm done, I can climb in my air conditioned heated seats, bose radio Z06 or now my non-heated but more comfortable seats, Kenwood nav and sound system, smooth driving 996TT....................is life good or what ?

I admire all your rides, they are all great because they fit YOUR needs. They invoke some kind of emotion when you climb in and start up the engine. If they don't, you've got the wrong ride. The connection to your ride should be emotional or we'd all be driving Camry's.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by BT ZR1
Have you driven a Z06 or ZR1?
Yes, both.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Not only funny, but also nit-picky. You have "Florida" spelled incorrectly under your Avatar. No need to thank me, the technical editing is a freebie for a fellow RLer!

Oh CRAP ! You're right, how stupid to misspell Florida. Thanks for pointing it out. By the way, the picture you showed of me was on my way to a Corvette Buffet outting and I didn't want my clothes to slow down my eating. By the way, that speedo is also FIA approved as a racing speedo and conforms to the 45 second burn test. It is so nice to get this kind of support. How can I possibly pay you back ?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:20 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
The 911 is a rear-engine car. It requires a different driving style to be fast when driving at the limit, just as any car with a rearward weight bias does - which is exactly how every open wheel race car works.

You have to brake LOT later than you do in a front-engine car, then wait until after the apex to get back on the power - but you can transition to full power a lot faster than you can with a front-engine car.

It's about weight transfer and evening out the force loading; if you try to drive a 911 (or an open-wheel racer) the same way as you would drive a 'Vette (or any other front-engine car), you will be slow and the car will seem to have a tendency to "push". Once you learn to use the acceleration capabilities that the rear weight bias gives you, and to use the brakes to even the weight distribution on turn-in, you'll find that it's actually a much more capable setup.
You're right but how many people know that if they don't run on the track and have not experienced both types of car. Lose the Porsche in a turn and see how well you can bring it out...............you can't. Both feet in and wait for the excitement to end.

Originally Posted by jbossolo
I've driven both. I'd take a 996 turbo any day over the vette, for driving duties.
If my choice was based on financial considerations, I'd take the vette.
My opinion, of course.
If money was no object, I'd be driving an Enzo. If money was an object, I would never drive a Hyundai, I'd walk.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:06 PM
porsche951
Pro

Corvette = Pam Anderson

Porsche = Bridget Moynahan
Old 02-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Melb-Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by porsche951
Corvette = Pam Anderson

Porsche = Bridget Moynahan
Who is Bridget Moynahan ? Thank God I know who Pam Anderson is. Am I aging myself ?

Quick Reply: COMPARISON: PORSCHE 996 VS VETTE