Sponsored by:

Was green coolant used on 2001?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Was green coolant used on 2001?

Do to DE rules I need to run water wetter this season. I have green coolant now. Can I switch to pink in the Fall?
Old 03-01-2013, 04:22 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Yes, it was.... It is foolish running water wetter "only" in this engine. It is HELL on your cooling system. It breeds, failied coolant pipe fittings, failed radiators and cylinder head porosity. Pick your poisen in terms of pain for your wallet. If you remove your engine, and weld or pin your fitting that is considered a fix and most tracks will allow the car to run with coolant.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:34 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Everything I have read is Water Wetter really only works with those who just use straight water and no antifreeze. Used with antifrreeze it has no significant lowering of temperature.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Just to agree with the others. My 01 had green coolant and I just had my coolant pipes wielded and put pink coolant in.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:24 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevin
Yes, it was.... It is foolish running water wetter "only" in this engine. It is HELL on your cooling system. It breeds, failied coolant pipe fittings, failed radiators and cylinder head porosity. Pick your poisen in terms of pain for your wallet. If you remove your engine, and weld or pin your fitting that is considered a fix and most tracks will allow the car to run with coolant.
crap I can't afford that now. Just got the car and now have to drop the engine. Please. Been driving behind them for 10 years and now that I got one and all the rules change.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:27 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
Everything I have read is Water Wetter really only works with those who just use straight water and no antifreeze. Used with antifrreeze it has no significant lowering of temperature.

It's not about lowering temperature. It's mandated by DE cheese heads who say it will make it safer if GT1 block engine run water instead of coolant. Yet 944's can run coolant all day long and caused more problems over the years then any 996 did.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:21 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You will have zero/minimal corrosion protection with water and wetter. We have the higher "fill/capacity" of coolant/water vs other cars. You might get by running one season, but I would schedule to get the fitting pinned next winter or when your funds can handle it. If you drive the car on the street and lose the fittings you are going to be in a tight spot.

Stop at your local drugstore, and purchase some glycerine, which is the main ingredient in water wetter. It's cheaper and you can do 5 to 6 cars..

Last edited by Kevin; 03-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kevin
You will have zero corrosion protection with water and wetter. We have the higher "fill/capacity" of coolant/water vs other cars. You might get by running one season, but I would schedule to get the fitting pinned next winter or when your funds can handle it. If you drive the car on the street and lose the fittings you are going to be in a tight spot.

Stop at your local drugstore, and purchase some glycerine, which is the main ingredient in water wetter. It's cheaper and you can do 5 to 6 cars..
I'm reading that water wetter provides long term corrosion protection and cleans and lubricates water pump seals. Along with a lot of other things. Why would PCA clubs recommend it if it was that bad to your car's cooling system.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Do your homework.. It's fun boiling out radiators and replacing all your hoses...

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...h-Water-Wetter

http://www.no-rosion.com/spring2011.htm

https://rennlist.com/forums/general-...-heads-up.html

http://forum.specmiata.com/cgi-bin/u...4;t=001824;p=0
Old 03-02-2013, 11:35 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the heads up, Kevin. I was planning on doing this as a stop-gap in my GT2 this season as well. Guess I'll be pinning instead.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:58 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Ok so from someone who races and used it for years in a modified Cayman race car.

Originally Posted by Ernie J
Jumper, there no metal to RUST out in the porsche cars. Water Wetter is designed to lubricate the water pump seal which is the only thing that needs lubing. The water wetter is design also to improve heat transfer to the water in the system. It changes the surface tension of water, it helps reduce the little air bubbles which form in boiling water. Ever watch water boil ? Water wetter reduces/elimnates the little bubbles, they reduce heat transfer to the water. We ,who race have use watter wetter or other products which do the same thing. Also when you have coolant leak/spill its not as slippery. All race organizations require no antifreeze in the cooling systems. So ,its actually better for your car. Hope this explains ,how and why it works.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by vr4henry
Thanks for the heads up, Kevin. I was planning on doing this as a stop-gap in my GT2 this season as well. Guess I'll be pinning instead.

JMHO but if you are dropping the motor to have your pipes pinned why not just pull them and have some nice new ones wielded in? Just pinning them might stop a catastrophic failure but they could still start leaking.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
vr4henry
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. I would've just had the easy ones pinned. If the motor comes out I'll do the full weld job

Quick Reply: Was green coolant used on 2001?