Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996T Handling Versus Others

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 01:48 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

SST take in consideration slalom speed and lateral acceleration, and the entire set of data points speak for themselves. The NSX is behind on all data points.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I guess it was subjective.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As a point of reference I own a stock suspension 2001 tt with Giro discs up front only. I also own a 2004 completely stock 2004 NSX. Also I am a PCA driving instructor. All that said I will offer my subjective opinion.

The tt is a much better track car and the NSX a better GT car and road warrior. The tt in 2001 stock trim is much harsher in ride quality than the NSX which is much more plush and fluid in feel. Canyon carving where you shouldn't drive at 10 10ths is more enjoyable in the NSX, I can doo it all day long and not feel tired or beaten up. The tt beats me up unnecessarily.

On the track the stock NSX is a lot more wallowy and actually less precise than the tt. It is more prone to snap over-steer and uncomfortable situations at 10 10ths on the track. The tt is much more precise when loaded in a corner and coming out of the corner, the NSX with stock suspension is sloppy by comparison.

Different cars and love them both for different purposes. I feel fortunate to be able to own them both at the same time. The NSX I will keep for ever, the tt I will replace when necessary as I use it as a DD and track car. Hope this post paints a picture that is useful in this discussion. I am really enjoying reading these kinds of posts as subjective opinions are never right or wrong as they are personal assessments.

My $0.02,

Tytus
Old 02-21-2013, 03:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

I think you put it well. Despite it's considerable capabilities, the TT can be a handful.

That's the analogy I was going for with my 335. (and no I am not comparing the 335 to the NSX).
Old 02-21-2013, 03:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 548 Posts

The NSX is a very nice car, but the ones I've driven just didn't do it for me in terms of steering feel.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
The NSX is a very nice car, but the ones I've driven just didn't do it for me in terms of steering feel.
My main problem with the 1991 NSX I had (besides being underpowered) was that I could never find a comfortable seating position. My head was in the roof or I was laid back too far and felt like I was driving a lay-z-boy.

I had it for a couple years, admired its beauty, but decided going back to a p-car made more sense.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Tytus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CincyScott
My main problem with the 1991 NSX I had (besides being underpowered) was that I could never find a comfortable seating position. My head was in the roof or I was laid back too far and felt like I was driving a lay-z-boy.

I had it for a couple years, admired its beauty, but decided going back to a p-car made more sense.
True if you are plus sized in ,the NSX is a tight fit whereas the tt can accommodate everyone especially the very tall wearing a helmet. The thing that adds so much driving enjoyment in the NSX, if you can fit properly, is the cockpit view out of the car; the dash is so low, you can see the fender bulges and out the sides easily, creating a great panoramic view unlike most cars. All 911 P cars have a view through a slot type of feel, good if you are focused on the track but not that great if you are touring.

Steering wise I find the NSX light in feel and the tt very heavy but both are very nice for their intended purpose by my definition. Both cars can benefit from a smaller diameter wheel, the NSX the most as the ratio is a bit slow for me for track use but very comfortable for touring.

A little bit off tangent from the original intention of the post but these are all things that contribute to a handling comparison and the whole driving experience.

Tytus
Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM
SSST
Drifting

First of all my 911 has a very panoramic view so I don't know what you are talking about. Second the plus sized comment reminds me of the time I saw Hakeem Olajuwon getting out of his 928 in the mid 80's. The rear seat had been removed and the driver's seat was mounted in it's place.

I bet he had a hard time selling it, but then again, he probably didn't care.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
You've never driven a Zanardi edition! Its like the US version of a JDM Type S. One of 50 made and a truly a different animal compared to all other NSX's.

Tytus pretty much summed it up. He too owns both an NSX and a Turbo. Its a hard comparison as the Turbo makes the NSX feel like a joke in a straight line and in most other situations. It pulls so hard and is so fast. I always said the NSX doesnt do 1 thing particular thing outstanding, but it does 99% percent of everything else pretty damn well. Does that make any sense?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:52 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 304 Posts

Plus the NSX is the easiest supercar to own as far as reliability and maintenance. I wish Porsche would outsource anything electrical to a Japanese company. If only Acura would have given it another 150 hp......
Old 02-22-2013, 09:49 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

NSX+ todays technology and FI= Fun Car
Old 02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

You should re-name the thread to TT vs. NSX...LOL
Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

My experience is consistent with Tytus'.

On the track in my ex 2002 NSX, stock, equally driven Turbos would DESTROY me. They would be at least as fast through the corners, but I would get demolished to an embarassing extent on the straights. That led me to supercharging and modifying my NSX like crazy. After much $$$ my car would run alongside similarily driven Turbos, but if the turbo had a $1000 flash (my supercharger was $14k all in), theyd rock me down the straights to an extent that I couldnt get them in the twisties. Most of this experience is at Mosport - a scariesh and momentum driven track.

I find that view out of the NSX as far superior to the view out of my turbo. Im 5'9 and had to invest in low carbon kevlar race seats to make sure I fit well with a helmet in the NSX.

I do not find that my NSX was any easier to own than my Turbo has been. NSX rear tire wear killed me and I did have parts fail early in that car. Worse yet, the car is rare and when I needed parts, they were HARD to find. Simple things like windshields, SAIs and wheel bearings were taking longer than a month for Acura Canada to find for me. It was my daily driver as well as track rat (season depending of course) so that situation was not working for me. On the other hand, I was able to fix my leaky 996TT spoiler rams myself for cheap with the EBay kit. My ignitition swich was an easy $25 fix with an audi part that I did myself. Those would have been big bucks with my NSX and Im still driving the rear tires that were DONE when I bought the car. I would be on my third set of rears with my NSX. Im literally getting 4-5x more life out of my rears with the turbo. I cannot image an easier supercar to own than my turbo - it is the ultimate supercar daily driver IMO.

I loved my NSX. They're commanding a pretty penny these days, or at least it seems like people are asking a ton of money for them. Not sure what they are actually selling for, but asking prices are NUTS!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am not sure you can call an NSX a Super Car, the performnce is not up to Super Car capability!The new one destined for later delivery is a different story.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:25 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You should re-name the thread to TT vs. NSX...LOL
Agreed.

Quick Reply: 996T Handling Versus Others