Europipe Quiet vs. Speedtech

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:32 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Europipe Quiet vs. Speedtech

Gang,
I'm trying to decide which exhaust to go with on my 996TT/UMW flash. I've pretty much narrowed it down to EP Quiet and the Speedtech Stage 1. I'm looking for something relatively tame noise-wise, but something to take advantage of the mods I'd like to do afterwards (Stage 2 UMW).

It seems that the EP's are the preferred exhaust from Kevin, which is a big bonus to me, because he hasn't steered me wrong yet. I am impressed however, with what I've seen form Speedtech through much of the posting here on Rennlist.

Given the cost difference, has anyone any experience with both exhausts? Since I'll likely be buying two of whatever I get (one for me, one for my boss), I don't want to be doing this multiple times.

Any thoughts from the crowd?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had EP Qs on two different 996TTs. Obviously liked it, or would not have gotten the second one.
Good tone, moderately louder than stck, no drone.
Went to Speedtechs pageto find the Stage 1 - not sure which one that is.
I did have a different X exhaust on my first 996TT. Much louder than the EP Q, but great tone. Car was more for the track than this one is. Both allow the turbos to spool quickly. Grew tired of the dbs afterwhile
Good luck with choice
Old 12-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 309 Likes on 215 Posts

I don't know of anyone who has had an issue with the Europipe Stage 2.. Maybe one, initial cost.. But it is like a lease program, subtract the original purchase cost minus the $3,400 to $3,600 that you will receive when you sell it..

My Opinion it's the best overall system available for our cars.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:21 AM
Nikon FM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 5 Posts

Fly2low's car sounds amazing! I drove his car and was envying the exhaust sound especially while accelerating on the onramp.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:14 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 215 Posts

Scott,

Below are some unsolicited statements from a former EP customer that was running a Europipe prior to installing our 2.5 - bottom line, he was thrilled with the change (I have heard the same thing several other times from customers making the same exhaust switch). In fact he kept his EP until after trying the Speedtech for a week or so, then went ahead and sold it - that says a lot:

Ok so its been on the car for 3 months now and I was brave enough to replace the Europipe with a 2.5 Speedtech Quiet running a Designtek foam air filter and 620Hp engine.

Today it was a rare occurence taking my 3 Children 13,12 & 7 to Theatre school. First of all, none of them complained about the noise (has happened many times before) and whilst having difficulty in town looking for a parking space, on light throttle, coming out of a junction this exhaust just purs like a 993 its very sweet. Now usually I wont hold back to critisize, but also when praise is due it needs to said, Well done John !

Somehow, I feel that the Speedtech system is the "Ace in the Pack" of all 996 TT exhaust systems...

Richard, UK

Hopefully, you will hear more, as this thread matures...also, if you look at our testimonials link in my signature, you will find a lot of reviews of the 996TT 2.5 system - many by Rennlist members...Trust me on this, you will be ecstatic with the end result should you try our 2.5 system!
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook

Old 12-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Shiftgate
3rd Gear

Here is an outside opinion I myself have owned FIVE different aftermarket systems and like you was looking for a used ep 2 quiet but am I glad I didn't. I myself have a speedtech 2.5 xflow. It's amazing and I get compliments on it all the time. I have heard several ep2 quiet exhaust on friends cars and don't get me wrong, there nice but they don't sound like my xflow. I was so happy I posted my experience with it on 6speedonline to save others from my five time exhaust failures of purchase, not happy, resell etc.
I reposted it below in hopes it may help with your decision.
I cannot say enough GREAT things about John and his product he total stood behind it and his customer service was nothing more than spectacular.
I highly recommend his systems. Please note that I have no affiliation with speedtech just an extremely happy customer spreading the good word about a great product.
Please read the whole post and pm me if you have anymore questions and definitely do a search on John and speedtech, you would be hard pressed to find anyone not completely satisfied. Enough from me please enjoy my repost:
I haved owned several exhausts for my turbo, five now in total and thankfully my last. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my 2.5 quiet x-cellerator exhaust I got from John at speedtech.
Personally I had the crazy loud droney exhausts, the boring stock (but drone free) exhaust note as well as some models in between. But nothing sounds as sweet as this cross flow. Its hard to explain its just right, not too loud as to annoy my neighbors but a monster when "I" want it to be.
When I first talked with John I was slightly apprehensive as I didn't want to make the same mistake again as I was waiting for the elusive used ep2 quiet to come up for sale. But thankfully John put my mind at ease and made me feel comfortable enough to pull the trigger on another exhaust system. As I only had youtube clips to go by and not ever hearing one in person, for me this was a big leap of faith. But john's communication and how passionately he spoke of it (as well as other happy members than run it I pm'ed) loosened my purse strings so to speak.
The first time I started it up in the garage it was deep and throaty. Plus hearing the turbos whistle for the first time was awesome. It quickly mellowed out to a nice rumble, louder than stock at idle but by no means annoying.
My first drive windows closed, it sounds unique, like no other exhaust I have had (the youtube videos help but do not do it justice) there is some drone but its in a very small band and by FAR less than anything else I had, easily liveable and I'm kind of a whinny little bitch when it comes to drone, I hate it. I am confident enough in saying that your passengers or wife wont mind it either. Its not over powering in the cabin of the car so handsfree cell phone calls are not an issue and the factory stereo can easily be enjoyed. But why would you listen to music when you can open the windows and mat the gas!
Windows open, drone is all but non existant, and you can really enjoy the sweet tone the xflow makes. If I find myself in a tunnel, I cant resist opening it up. Never did that before.
John was excellent to deal with, super fast email return(and there was alot of them) He even called me on the day I installed it to make sure everything went smoothly and we ended up BSing for an hour about cars. Who does this? I bet if I asked him to fly out to the west coast and install it for me he would. Highly, highly recommend anything he sells as he definetly stands behind it and gave above and beyond customer service. John thank you for everything.
If you are on the fence, or just looking for something you'll never sell till you trade the car in, THIS IS IT!!
Don't take my word for it look up other posts, I'm just another happy customer. Keep up the good work John, you deserve all the praise you get.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Shiftgate
3rd Gear

Forgot to add the link to the whole post as its 5 pages long. Might help you as well. I go by gearhead on 6speed.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...xperience.html
Old 12-17-2012, 01:08 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

What do you want in the exhaust? Does sound "quality" matter? Performance? Looks (yes looks)? It is such a personal thing...I can say that I went with EP2Q (I'm in a cab) and I love the sound and the performance. Fit (and Quality) is a piece of artwork. The sound actually improves with time. I would never think of switching it out.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

I've had only one aftermarket exhaust...for over 8.5 years; EP2 Loud.

I love the sound.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 AM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Recently switched to the Speedtech 2.5 "quiet" x-flow and can only say it sounds and looks great. Great burbling sound when cold, turbo whine most of the time, and awesome at hard throttle. Can't go wrong with this one.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:51 AM
Lance 4c
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I love my ep2 quiet. I would like to hear the ep loud as the quiet could be a little louder.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance 4c
I would like to hear the ep loud as the quiet could be a little louder.
Let me know if you ever get through Atlanta and you can drive my EP2 Loud.

Last edited by Dock; 12-19-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any idea of the claimed power gain with the Speedtech??
Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 215 Posts

darth,

Turbo cars take well to exhaust upgrades. Our 100 cell cat exhaust on a flashed car with a turbo upgrade will yield approximately a 40 AWHP gain over OEM.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 PM
darth g-f
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by John D II
darth,

Turbo cars take well to exhaust upgrades. Our 100 cell cat exhaust on a flashed car with a turbo upgrade will yield approximately a 40 AWHP gain over OEM.
UMW reflash here on X50, 1.1-1.2 bar, can I hope to get 30hp?

Quick Reply: Europipe Quiet vs. Speedtech