Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded GIAC flash to UMW today - what an improvement!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Damaged actuator arm on the driver's side turbo. It apparently happened at the 60k service. The Indy fixed it free of charge. Back to a pedestrian 1.2 bars... Between 3500 and 4500. Like you said.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:39 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update SSST. It's great when someone posts the conclusion to their story. It's helpful to us all.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:00 PM
RogueM3
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can those who have made the switch from GIAC to UMW give their opinion of "is it really worth it?"

I have a GIAC tune (car has K16s, exhaust, DVs) from 2006 and I have been emailing with Kevin about potentially switching to his tune. Getting the slight discount for already having a tune is nice and really puts me on the fence.

For a car that is driven in heavy boost maybe 10% of the time and all other times at light throttle or just tooling around town, will it be a profound difference?

I do notice the hesitation in 1st and 2nd with GIAC that others mention, though can't say whether I am lacking the mid-range torque, as I don't know how much torque in the midrange Kevin could offer.

Also, I saw a thread from 2006 where Kevin recommended against modifying the WGs with K16s, but have seen threads in the past 2-3 years with guys adding the AMS WG kits to their K16s and picking up substantial power gains. Are any of the K16 guys out there modifying their wastegates now with stiffer springs?
Old 12-08-2012, 11:56 PM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

kevin any chance you can update your website? its basically useless as theres no info to be had and most are under construction.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't speak for the difference, but I have no complaints with the UMW tune. The car is now exactly what it should be. There are no weaknesses whether driving normally in an urban area or opening it up on an open road.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:09 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Rogue, If you search this forum, you will find folks that have made the switch. With respect to the product that you have, and since you are looking for what I percieve is MORE power.. Hybrid Turbochargers and programming is what will fit the bill. Moving your flash over to Ultimate Motorwerks makes sense "if" you are having issues, and/or if you are wanting more power.

It is my opinion based off of what I have seen, with datalogs AND damaged turbocharger>> It is NOT a good practice to put on Modded 1 bar wastegates on STOCK K16's ( you are overspining the rotating assy). If you are telling me that you need more boost out of the turbochargers> we have a problem with the end results!! You are wanting or wishing to push the smaller stock K16 wheel to greater output vs the larger K24?? Most tuners will tell you that the stock K24's are spent at 1.2 to 1.25bars... Stock K16's are spent at 1.0 to 1.1bars.. If you spin them (upgraded actuators) faster to gain more boost what is your net power gains IF the ECU pulls timing due to the hotter intake air temps? Your gain is eaten up with timing retard and knock retard from the inefficiency of the compressor stage. This is why we install larger compressor wheels to allow higher pressure levels WITH more efficiency> Cooler charger air enters the engine at greater pressure levels.

There is a "belief" that with modified 1bar actuator one will be able to get some lower to midrange gains from this practice. It is my belief that the gains are minimal and the risk are greater. Especially when you add the mods to turbochargers with programming that does not account for the 1bar springs. The end result often yields a jerky on boost/off boost condition. More often than not you will get boost spikes and high turbine/compressor wheel speeds which has led to broken turbine shafts.

Last edited by Kevin; 12-09-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:32 AM
32krazy!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
Most tuners will tell you that the stock K24's are spent at 1.2 to 1.25bars... Cooler charger air enters the engine at greater pressure levels.

There is a "belief" that with modified 1bar actuator one will be able to get some lower to midrange gains from this practice. It is my belief that the gains are minimal and the risk are greater. Especially when you add the mods to turbochargers with programming that does not account for the 1bar springs
kevin without derailing the o/t do you think 1 bar wastegates are worth the cost for oem k24 turbos? if they are spent at 1.25 would this give me the most they can offer with proper air intake mods, fueling and 4.5" i/c? im also looking down the road at k24/20 turbos
Old 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

32Krazy go to this thread, then read post #27, and line #2..

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...t-1-ecu-2.html

Then read this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...x50-owner.html

Programming with the wastegates really add a new level of performance to the K24's...
Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I learned the hard way. First time I didn't take Kevin's advice for my X50 and went with GIAC, lowering springs, and a Fabspeed exhaust. The GIAC added nothing in the useful rev range, the springs destroyed the ride and didn't help handling, and the exhaust was deafening and annoying.
Then did UMW tune, PSS10's and Fabspeed. Now, it's everything I had hoped for. But, I wasted $10,000 and 10,000 miles by not taking Kevin's advice first. Okay, I was stupid. You don't have to be. AS

Quick Reply: Upgraded GIAC flash to UMW today - what an improvement!