Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgraded GIAC flash to UMW today - what an improvement!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by clorigo
the tunes idle is MUCH more consistent. I would get some fluctuation also 800-900 and back and forth but that is gone now. And I was talking about the wastegate springs Also I saw 1.0 bar boost when pushing it (from k24 turbos) / you can tell it has a tune.
I really can't say enough nice things about the product or Kevin.
thanks for clarifying that. that fluctuating idle thing can be annoying. it prevents me from checking oil occasionally. when i read of your results i really do think a re-flash would be a good idea. but i would have thought you'd get a bit more boost than 1.0? i suspect there may be some more available as you have more open road in front of you to find it cheers.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:49 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I want to see a datalog with 1.4bar in 4th or 5th gear all the way to redline.
I've been seeing it above 5500 in 2nd and 3rd on the dash.

I think I've got a log at home that shows 1.2 in 4th. I'll have to check when I get back in town. I'll need to get to a track to redline in 5th.

Stock K16's BTW.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:29 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 356 Posts

Can someone please point me to the definitive thread on the UMW flash? My car is in New Zealand and I'm in Jakarta with limited windows of opportunity and gear so I want to see how this is done before hassling Kevin. With close to 100,000 miles on the odometer I figure I don't need to baby my car.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Definitive thread? Go ahead and contact Kevin...he really enjoys discussing your options...what we did was I sent some data logs (using durametric, but he also has a data logger now) and he was aware of all of my mods and the altitude I'm in. He sends me a programmer that plugs into the ODB port and voila, new program uploaded. Mine came with several programs, valet, race (100 octane), boost and stock (he will need to have the stoic program loaded). We did some tweaking afterwards also.

If you are running stock K16's, boosting over 1.0 (maybe1.1) isn't going to improve performance.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

John McM email me kevin@ultimatemotorwerks.com I will give you options. I do NOT need to remove your ECU. Go to my datalogger thread. One can READ and WRITE directly to your ECU. If you don't want to datalogger I have my OBD2 programming module that will allow files to be emailed.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:08 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
If you are running stock K16's, boosting over 1.0 (maybe1.1) isn't going to improve performance.
That's what I thought too... it's too far outside of their efficiency range, isn't it?
Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 PM
clorigo
Instructor

I am sure with more open road I will see more than 1.0 bar. That was only second gear on a city street. Didn't want to push it beyond that.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Originally Posted by clorigo
I am sure with more open road I will see more than 1.0 bar. That was only second gear on a city street. Didn't want to push it beyond that.
Yes, but you have K24's. I've seen 1.2 on my tuned X50, stock turbos with stock WGs. I'd expect you'll see 1.1 or 1.2, with enough room and load.

Try an open highway, 5th gear, and floor it without downshifting.

1.4 bar on a stock K16 sounds incorrect to me, but I'm no expert.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 PM
SSST
Drifting

I was somewhat shocked to see 1.4 myself, but that's what the boost guage said.

I'm curious as to the comment that anything above 1.1 doesn't really improve performance. Boost is boost. Is it that the ECU and or fuel system can't efficiently take advantage of it?

Also, I'm running a stock exhaust. Could exhaust back pressure cause boost to spike? I know that doesn't make total sense, but thought I would ask anyway.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:57 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Is this a spike or sustained?

I'm curious as to the comment that anything above 1.1 doesn't really improve performance. Boost is boost. Is it that the ECU and or fuel system can't efficiently take advantage of it?
And not enough air.

K16 boost limits

Regarding loss due to waste gates..."what many folk fail to grasp is "forget the boost readings" The primary importance is to build more torque in the lower midrange. This is done by keeping the internal "gate" inside of the turbine housing shut. It is like a barn door. The exhaust entering the turbine housing from the headers wants to and will push it open. When the ECU calls for just a little "boost correction" the gate starts to swing open. The problem is, as you have found out. KKK manufactures similar "Actuators" the "springs" inside of the actuators do not have the ability to shut the "gate" quick enough or 100%.. We want the gate to close. When it is open the turbine wheel slows down.. If we need boost, the turbocharger is working double time trying to supply the boost, and overcome the open gate with exhaust gases pouring out or bleeding off the turbine wheel energy. If you have a engineered actuator system, the ability to close the gate is NOW in effect. And all the exhaust energy is directed at the turbine wheel. Allowing it to generate boost.. Early boost will translate into early torque. A benifit of this system is higher boost readings.."

Also, I'm running a stock exhaust. Could exhaust back pressure cause boost to spike? I know that doesn't make total sense, but thought I would ask anyway.
spikes can happen due to leaks, faulty DVs, stuck waste gates...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:01 PM
c32AMG-DTM
Instructor

Boost is boost, yes - but there is no free lunch either... compressors have efficiency maps, dictating their optimal ranges. The perkiness of a K16, due to its small size, also means you need to rev the bejebus out of it to provide 1.4 bar. At a point, the heat generated more than offsets the additional boost provided, with a net result of power loss. At least, that is my understanding.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM
SSST
Drifting

The 1.4 was sustained from about 5500 to redline. I say about 5500, because the needle is moving pretty fast at that point.

It didn't feel like a net result of loss of power

32AMG - My understanding is that the wastegates on the K16 don't have the spring setup that the K24 has so you aren't trying to overcome loss through the wastegate. The K16 issue is just the volume of air you can force through them due to their small size.

I agree that this doesn't sound normal and I certainly don't want to blow or burn something up. I'll try to get the data logger on it and get the result to Kevin. The most I've seen in 4th is 1.2 to which Kevin responded "Good for you". LOL!

Anyway the car is running brilliantly right now.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:30 AM
clorigo
Instructor

Yes, I have k24s
Old 07-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

It is possible to see 1.4bars and actual recorded logged boost pressures of 1.3bars with K16's "IF"

a) Only showing/recorded between 3500 to 4500 RPM's..

b) If one has recorded these pressure levels> one has mechanical turbine housing linkage/wastegate failures. The gate is frozen mechanically thru rust or a broken/wedged actuator arm (unlikely)..

The K16's can spike without controlled wastegate intervention. However, the boost will not be sustained to Redline. It is just not possible with stock K16's.. If hybrid turbochargers are mounted on the car without knowing it>anything is possible (but "b" would be more likely).

PLEASE NOTE.. On a tuned car, when we shift we can see boost spikes. It is common to see 1.2 and 1.3 at the shift points.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:44 AM
SSST
Drifting

I'll have the waste gate actuators checked. I wasn't getting these readings before I had the 60k service so maybe they did something that jammed an actuator.

Quick Reply: Upgraded GIAC flash to UMW today - what an improvement!