996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 996TT today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2019 | 11:12 AM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Started it yesterday. After letting it sit for 6 weeks of rain and arctic cold (relative for us in LA), car fired immediately. No battery drain whatsoever from sitting. Taking it on the road today.
Old 02-27-2019 | 12:07 PM
derrunner
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dranon
It really sucks that the carbon and the wood pieces that were such an expensive option when new was such garbage! Mine all cracked also. Do you miss the carbon smooth feel on the wheel? Considering sending mine out to get carbon redone. I just don't want it to happen again in 5 years!
I don't miss it at all, in fact, I like the feel of the thicker wheel and all leather.
Old 03-02-2019 | 09:22 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So after several thousand dollars and many man hours, I picked the car up yesterday after completing the following:

- Pinned
- new belt
- new voltage regulator
- new injectors
- new water pump and thermostat
- Kevin's GT3 RS clutch LWFW
- BBI clutch slave cylinder conversion
- new front lip
- new side skirts, little gromets and clips
- all fluids, everywhere
- Exhaust
- oil, filter and fuel filter
- new pads and sensors
- EVO billet diverters
- EVO 3.5" intercoolers
- floor mats with sexy 'turbo' script...

Have to say that the clutch/BBi work has really opened up the character of the engine - pulls real strong and revs much more freely than it did with the dual mass unit. Mad props to Turn 3 in Langley for all the labor, and Kevin for his clutch kit; reminds me of the good old days of running small/big blocks with an unassisted 100lb clutch! It is now it's time to turn the Cobb up to 550hp and hit the road for some trips...

Cheers,
Old 03-03-2019 | 05:57 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Friday I flushed the brakes. Getting rid of Ate Super Blue that's been in the car for 6+ years is a pita! Put 3 liters thru and it's finally almost gone.

Then put on the aero front lip sourced from eBay. Fit and finish we're very good.
Attached Images  
Old 03-03-2019 | 08:38 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That lip is pretty sexy - deeper than the factory one, any problems with curbs/speed bumps?
Old 03-03-2019 | 08:49 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Definitely deeper than the factory one. I haven't tried to pull out of my driveway with it on yet but when I bought the car it had a similar sized lip on it and you had to be very careful going in/out of the driveway with it. That's at stock ride height too, if I was lowered it'd be even harder.
Old 03-03-2019 | 08:57 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
That lip is pretty sexy - deeper than the factory one, any problems with curbs/speed bumps?
I have the same lip... Even with my H&R suspension, not a big deal. I will very occasionally get a slight scrape on a steep driveway that I didn't angle enough, but so far it hasn't created any visible damage and I've had it on for about a year. They are also cheap enough that if you have to replace them every few years, really a non-issue. I wouldn't suggest color-match painting it though... It will make every imperfection pop and easily double the cost of replacement.

Backing it up on my race ramps gets it pretty close, but as you can see in the second picture, still a bit of clearance!

Old 03-03-2019 | 09:17 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I do like the deeper look - and yes, I just replaced my factory lip of ebay - $62USD shipping in - so I may very well pick up another and still be under the cost of the factory unit...

Is this a replica from the aero kit?
Old 03-03-2019 | 09:35 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

These are $103 shipped... More than $62, but still dirt cheap in the land of Turbo upgrades ;-)

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Style-...o/281222525180

Since the link will expire, here's a screen capture, just search ebay for that seller or product title.

Old 03-03-2019 | 10:01 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Finished up install of the Sony XaV 1000, backup camera also. Ran the camera thru the license plate light which I modified with a smaller LED bulb so as not to drill into the bumper. No wires were cut in the original harness up front.
Ready for a drive South!
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-2019 | 10:12 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
These are $103 shipped... More than $62, but still dirt cheap in the land of Turbo upgrades ;-)

Here's the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aero-Style-...o/281222525180

Since the link will expire, here's a screen capture, just search ebay for that seller or product title.

Thank you Sir, very cool.
Old 03-03-2019 | 10:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jason952
Finished up install of the Sony XaV 1000, backup camera also. Ran the camera thru the license plate light which I modified with a smaller LED bulb so as not to drill into the bumper. No wires were cut in the original harness up front.
Ready for a drive South!
I've had that Sony Carplay deck in my car for a while, but haven't gotten around to installing a backup cam. It would come in handy as I have fairly dark tint on my windows, and when backing up at night it is a bit difficult to see...

Any specifics on which camera you used, and the LED bulb as well? And any tips on routing the wire from the bumper to radio?
Old 03-03-2019 | 10:23 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfbz
I've had that Sony Carplay deck in my car for a while, but haven't gotten around to installing a backup cam. It would come in handy as I have fairly dark tint on my windows, and when backing up at night it is a bit difficult to see...

Any specifics on which camera you used, and the LED bulb as well? And any tips on routing the wire from the bumper to radio?
Which raises another question I have had - if I were to replace the PCM in my 03, do I have to upgrade the amp as well?

The Sony as installed looks pretty sick.
Old 03-03-2019 | 10:49 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
Which raises another question I have had - if I were to replace the PCM in my 03, do I have to upgrade the amp as well?

The Sony as installed looks pretty sick.
I have an '01 that was without PCM, without MOST, and without Bose which made wiring in the Carplay unit super easy... If you have a MOST/Bose/PCM system, I believe you can interface to the existing amp with a special adapter, but it can be a bit tricky to find.

Most also list the adapters as being for 2005+ Porsche's, but I am almost positive I've read either here or on 6speed that they work on 996 generation MOST bus systems as well...

Links:
https://avinusa.com/most-fiber-optic...e-cayenne.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCA-...708723316.html

Old 03-03-2019 | 11:02 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

you need the adapter for the fiber optic system so you can use the factory amp:
MOST adapter
With this, the HU outputs with RCA out only (front R/L) and feeds the system this way. they all say for 05 or later but work fine.

I used this camera from amazon, seems very high quality, even had a 996 on the box:
camera camera

there are others on aliexpress that may work but I didn't find the correct width. some say they are compatible with the factory lens
Alibaba

I drilled the factory license plate light on one side and passed the camera thru. I converted the factory tube style light to a 194 LED bulb with a pigtail from amazon. I tapped into the reverse light on the drivers side near the bulb. I passed the yellow camera wire through into the cabin by removing the rear side panel and ran the wire up to the area of the fuse panel and then over the footwell to the radio. I didn't remove the bumper.
It was a pain but I took my time.

I moved a few wires around on the Metra harness adapter that came with the HU from crutchfield. I deleted the speaker wires (8) since the output is via RCA's. This cut down on clutter.

I tapped 12v switched off the phone harness in the lower console as my car never came with a phone option.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 996TT today?