996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011 | 11:46 AM
SSST
Drifting

I jacked it up because I wanted to inspect the bushings and brake pads at the same time. That said, I probably will go ahead and put it up next time. Although I can reach everything, I can't properly put two wrenches on the oil tank drain when breaking the seal. I just don't fit under there. Short arms, big chest.
Old 06-22-2011 | 11:55 AM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Just had to tell you guys this. Out of morbid curiosity I called a local stealer (Paul Miller Porsche, Parsippany NJ) to ask them how much they would charge for an oil change. He asked "just oil and filter?" I said yes. His reply - "Your probably looking at about $450."

True story. Figure conservatively $60 for 0W-40 and $20 for the filter for their costs. With a lift and all the tools ready I cannot see this being more than a 20 minute job for a tech. Comes out to $1,110 per hour for labor. Most NYC lawyers I know are way cheaper.

Honestly, how do some of these places stay in business?
Old 06-22-2011 | 01:16 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Insane! Another reason I have an open invitation for ANYBODY that wants to use my lift. And I'll even help do the work. Anything to get guys wrenching their own cars......and saving a few $$$!
Old 06-22-2011 | 01:25 PM
Arnie1
Advanced

Using 5-40 diesel oil is a mistake. They have a different additive pack in their oil specifically for diesels. I wanted to use Castrol 5-40 but could not find it and asked about the diesel mobil 1 5-40 I would check out to make sure it is Ok I beleive it would not be recommended.
Old 06-22-2011 | 01:32 PM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Arnie1
Using 5-40 diesel oil is a mistake. They have a different additive pack in their oil specifically for diesels. I wanted to use Castrol 5-40 but could not find it and asked about the diesel mobil 1 5-40 I would check out to make sure it is Ok I beleive it would not be recommended.

Arnie - Please read one of the multitude of posts on this already, especially those by Kevin. Because of potential IMS issues, many here have already switched to TDT or Delvac with lower consumption and quieter engines. Diesel oil still contains many metal conditioners/friction modifiers that have been taken out of gasoline engine oil.
Old 06-22-2011 | 02:00 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Since the dealer buys in bulk, the $60 is very generous! You left out the crush washer expense! LOL!

blue - how the heck do you counter bias the tank drain plug, not jacking and getting it from the side?
Old 06-22-2011 | 02:42 PM
SSST
Drifting

I think filter, oil, washers, I was right at $100 and one hour of my time for the oil change. It was my first time so it took a little longer. I bet I can do it in 40 minutes now that I have done it once.

BTW. It is a lot quieter at idle with that 5-40 TD oil in it. It even seems a little quicker, but that might be my imagination. Good stuff.
Old 06-22-2011 | 03:05 PM
scottrx7tt
Advanced

Originally Posted by SSST
I found 0-40 on an approved list, but it was a 2009 list. It's good oil. I've just never seen it referenced on a 996 board.

I'm leaving on a long trip next Friday and the current oil is at 5200 miles according to the service records.

Tomorrow is the last chance I have to change it.
the guy with the 300k mile 996tt uses 0w40 so im sticking with 0w40
Old 06-22-2011 | 09:15 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NewYorkBuck
Arnie - Please read one of the multitude of posts on this already, especially those by Kevin. Because of potential IMS issues, many here have already switched to TDT or Delvac with lower consumption and quieter engines. Diesel oil still contains many metal conditioners/friction modifiers that have been taken out of gasoline engine oil.
Exactly. Delvac 1 and TDT ARE approved for use in gasoline engines!
Old 06-23-2011 | 09:51 AM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

I know I am commiting heresy here, but since I am in S Fla, where cold start up temps are 80 degrees or higher in the summer, I just switched to M1 15w-50, since 5w-50 is hard to get and Mobil 5w-40 Delvac is almost impossible to get unless you go mail order. Since 15w-50 has a high concentrate of ZDDP, ( i think a little more than the Delvac), and is recommended for turbos and carries the same API specs, just not Porsche approved. Many local Porsche shops recommend it down here for spring and summer months. The key is once the temps drop, I intend to go to 5w-50. The oil pressure with 15w-50 is a little higher during run and idle than the 5w-50, and the IMS noise seems to be better.
Old 06-23-2011 | 12:07 PM
Cueto
Intermediate

Kevinmacd, I would recommend doing a bit more research into 15w50 on our engines. I recently had a brief email chat with a very respected tuner/tech and he basically told me " 15W50 is like taking a hammer to some engine internals on startup".

I have since switched to 5w40TDT, very happy with oil consumption/noise levels. Keep in mind I am in Puerto Rico which is hotter and almost always more humid than Florida.
Old 06-23-2011 | 12:43 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd
I know I am commiting heresy here, but since I am in S Fla, where cold start up temps are 80 degrees or higher in the summer, I just switched to M1 15w-50, since 5w-50 is hard to get and Mobil 5w-40 Delvac is almost impossible to get unless you go mail order. Since 15w-50 has a high concentrate of ZDDP, ( i think a little more than the Delvac), and is recommended for turbos and carries the same API specs, just not Porsche approved. Many local Porsche shops recommend it down here for spring and summer months. The key is once the temps drop, I intend to go to 5w-50. The oil pressure with 15w-50 is a little higher during run and idle than the 5w-50, and the IMS noise seems to be better.
Click on "commercial vehicle lubes," then enter your zip to find a distributor that sells M1 5w50 or D1. My local distributor always has tons of each (80 gallon drum of Delvac 1 anyone?), and no shipping!

http://www.host.exxonmobil.com/chann..._directory.jsp

These oils are not that hard to find.
Old 06-23-2011 | 01:00 PM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevinmacd

Kevinmac - I have not heard of one credible person recommending 15W-xx for these engines. In fact, I have heard many to the contrary.

I know 5W-50 and Delvac 1 can be tough to find in the stores, but its cake by the net (I got my D1 online.) Whatever you spend in shipping, its money well spent. As I have heard others say here - oil is so cheap, and these engines are so expensive. Proceed accordingly.
Old 06-23-2011 | 01:23 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Out of morbid curiosity I called a local stealer (Paul Miller Porsche, Parsippany NJ) to ask them how much they would charge for an oil change. He asked "just oil and filter?" I said yes. His reply - "Your probably looking at about $450."
They are the closest dealer to my house. I went to a PCA tech event at PM back in January, and part of the program was an oil change on a 997 Turbo. 20 minutes max, and most of that time was spent waiting for the oil to drain.

I'll be doing my own changes (or taking it to any indy).
Old 06-23-2011 | 06:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Sigh.

Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 oil contains (based on its MSDS) between 20 to 30 percent (by weight) of 1-decene, tetramer and trimer hydrogenated (IIRC, this is POA (or synthetic oil)).

There is a few other items with the concentrations of between 0.1 to 1 percent.

Then I see ZDDP listed in a concentration range of from 1 to 5 percent.

And down at the bottom of the composition and ingredients list I read where Mobil 1 Delvac 5w-40 oil contains between 10 to 20 percent (by weight) mineral oil.

Anyone who uses Mobil 1 Delvac oil in his Turbo has no business owning a Turbo.

As for TDT we do not know the composition or ingredients for the most part because Mobil has decided these are 'trade secret'.

But with the MSDS of Delvac oil and the MSDS TDT oil side by side I can see similiarities in the composition and ingredients lists.

TDT oil contains the same 20 to 30 percent (by weight) of POA (1-decene, tetramer and trimer hydrogenated) and the next ingredient is ZDDP and its concentration is less than 2.5%.

The rest of the ingredients -- 01 through 08 -- have the name 'Trade Secret' but their concentration in percentage is given.

I skip down to Trade Secret 03 and see that same 10 to 20 percent number and I can't help but suspect that's mineral oil.

I know no one cares but Porche doesn't even approve either of the above oils for use in its Cayennes with diesel engines.

Yet apparently some believe these oils are suitable for Turbo engines.

Sigh.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Oil