Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

grayman, I don't think that Mike was singleing you out..

It does require alot of time to tear apart a engine, and post pictures. My intent is to allow people to make there own choice about "How" they maintain there cars. I get satisfaction when I receive a email from a Rennlister telling me that "he" changed his oil for the first time without going into the dealer or indy.

The brutal facts are> some folks that have bought these cars have had to "pay" for new engines. I know of a customer that has had his engine torn apart twice to fix the IMS. The Porsche dealer did NOT listen to me recommendations the first time. I am not saying that I have all the answers. But I do see a ton of worn failed parts.

Since the 911 turbo is the flagship platform, I really do question why Porsche did not include the 959 IMS. The GT3 gets it.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 338 Likes on 225 Posts

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...uck_5W-40.aspx
Old 12-19-2010, 06:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Oil viscosity threads ... Somethings never change.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:09 AM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 344 Likes on 237 Posts

Another data point....I had the IMS gear woodruf keys wear out at 106K modded miles and the IMS gear began walking on the shaft. This caused the IMS noise to become excessive one day. We tore the motor down and checked everything in the motor. The IMS bearings were still perfect. In fact, all the bearings were fine, but we replaced them all with new since we were there...I used Mobil 1 and changed it twice per year - about 7,500 miles between changes. My tech suspected a weak chain tensioner causing erratic tension on the gear, but we will never know for sure. I think it may have been the 700 ft. lbs. of torque on a daily basis for years...along with over 50 - 1/4 mile launches. Can't be good for it...
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 12-20-2010, 12:23 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Grayman......

Ah, the good ole' "we live in America" excuse. Please.

And as for your service, there are more of us in this forum that you can possibly imagine that have sacrificed for this country with OUR own military sacrifice. So please don't pull the "I served" card. That is a very egocentric card to play and does no good when you are trying to get your point across. It wasn't YOUR sacrifice, it was the collective that came before you that didn't ask for recognition.

This is a very good (and collegial) subforum and one that has some fantastic contributors to it. Let's not read more into it than is really there. If you feel there is something there then take it to PM (or to an admin) to clarify before blasting members that have been around here for some time, contributed invaluable information to the forum, and should be given the benefit of the doubt. At no time did anybody single you out by name or quote.

As you were.......
Old 12-20-2010, 05:56 AM
grayman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Uh, grayman I wasn't referring to you, man...Has to do with my frustration over some of the arguments that have gone on as of late with others... Kevin knows exactly what I'm refering to...And I don't hate anyone here... Just don't agree with the spreading of disinformation to guys like you who are trying to learn... and as to your sacrefices, well congrats and thank you, and I'll accept the same from you for my service as well...
Mike
Sorry for jumping on you Mike. Was having a bad day to begin with, and when I thought you were lumping me in with "these two guys", I took offense.

Just dont be so hard on Macster. I dont know him, but he does not seem like such a bad guy. Just a differnce of opinion.

Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 AM
grayman
Advanced

Originally Posted by LVDell
Grayman......

Ah, the good ole' "we live in America" excuse. Please.

And as for your service, there are more of us in this forum that you can possibly imagine that have sacrificed for this country with OUR own military sacrifice. So please don't pull the "I served" card. That is a very egocentric card to play and does no good when you are trying to get your point across. It wasn't YOUR sacrifice, it was the collective that came before you that didn't ask for recognition.

This is a very good (and collegial) subforum and one that has some fantastic contributors to it. Let's not read more into it than is really there. If you feel there is something there then take it to PM (or to an admin) to clarify before blasting members that have been around here for some time, contributed invaluable information to the forum, and should be given the benefit of the doubt. At no time did anybody single you out by name or quote.

As you were.......
Ah, the good ole "we've been on rennlist longer than you" excuse. Please.

I appologized to Mike for jumping on him in a public forum. I freely admitted I was out of line.

My stomach churned when I saw Kevin's post and photos. I am relatively new to Porsche ownership. Bought my Boxster S in 2003, my 944 Turbo S in 2004, and my 2002 996TT this year. I saved, researched and shopped for the past two years until I found what I thought was the perfect car form me, the 2002 996TT X50. Then I start reading these threads about IMS issues in these cars, and, a while back, Kevin states that he thinks 2002 X50 cars may be having more propblems than other years. And of course, my CPO expired in August.

I guess I'll take someone elses suggestion and stay off these internet sites and just drive the car.

An by the way, sorry if my pride in my service to our country, or my defense of someone expressing his opinion offended you.

"as you were....." Now that was funny
Old 12-20-2010, 08:55 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Expressing your opinion doesn't offend me. Using the "it's America" and "I served in the military so everybody can enjoy freedom" crap that offends me.

Obviously you were having a bad day, realized it, and have since apologized to Mike. Good for you.

Nobody wants you to leave the forum. It's a great source of info and a place we can all have our opinion. Just try not to infer something that is not there when somebody posts. It has nothing to do with defending guys that have been here a long time. It has to do with guys that are knowledgeable in the ways of these cars that we would like to keep around and not run off by guys like you and me that are here for info. That's all.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Os Inspector
Rennlist Member

Kevin is this the motor that broke the cam chain? the one i almost bought before you got it?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:05 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As this thread started with the advise to check your oil filter, I am curious - Kevin, do you have a picture of the oil filter from this engine before you tore it down?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

When we inspect the filter should it be just a look between all the pleats? Or should it actually be cut in a manner that will give a better look?

Last edited by LVDell; 12-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Cut the filter open, look between all of the pleats- inside and out.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:22 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Will do. And will document with pics. Thanks
Old 12-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Simi_911
Advanced

If you find metal in your oil filter, what's the next step?
Old 12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
NewYorkBuck
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kevin
IF ANYONE has excessive IMS NOISE.. Please use Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil.. Any other brand has less metal conditioners. The Turbo Diesel Truck does have a special additive that is reducing the noise. Keep an eye on your oil filter and schedule your oil changes around 5K miles. DO NOT KEEP 0W40 of any brand.
Kevin - if I could provide any color to this, I believe one of these metal conditioners that is providing the benefit is ZDDP. Right before I read about TDT for Porsches on this thread, I had just changed my oil one last time w 0W-40. Reading here about the benefits of TDT and having used this oil with success in my VW TDI daily driver, I know one of the additives it has in abundance is Zinc - taken out of many gasser oils bc of potential catalyst damage. Wanting to keep my clean 0W-40 through the winter months but still wanting to add protection, I added maybe 2 oz of ZDDPlus to my oil. Low and behold, the sound of my engine decreased noticeably. Granted, I'll be switching to TDT in the Spring as I am not generally crazy about additives, but I do think my experience was worth sharing here.

Quick Reply: Why you want to CHECK your oil filter