Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.

Good evening, gentlemen and ladies. So earlier today I was discussing with my wife what I want to get to replace one of our other cars that just seems to be taking up space in the driveway in favor of something I will actually drive. I have been looking around at the prices of F355s since their values have hit the toilet, and thinking that now may be the time to jump on one.

I love the look of the F355, love the sound, but hate the idea of having to worry that the thing will break down and leave me stranded on a road trip (since, again, I intend to put a lot of mileage on whatever I buy). We went for a walk and a family went by in a 996 Cabriolet with their kids in the back and I said (half jokingly), 'Maybe I should just get a 996 Twin Turbo instead...I mean, they have back seats for me to take Madeline (our newborn daughter) with us,' and did not expect what she said. "Sure. Why not? If they have a back seat I do not see why not (since the 2-seat capacity of the F355 was one of her strikes against it)". The conversation went on that the all-wheel drive system meant I could drive it all year, and even to trip to Canada to see family.

So now here I sit thinking this may really be a good idea. My birthday is coming up anyway, and nothing says 'happy birthday to me' like a new sports car.

Bottom line is this. I found an '01 996 Twin Turbo in California with 36k miles for an asking price of $42,995. I love the color, and the idea that I could drive it all year, and assume that it is fast. I have had other 911s before, but never a Twin Turbo, so essentially I would be buying the car blind and hoping I liked it. Other the other hand, I had a ball in the F355s that I have driven. I am looking for usability, but also a big smile whenever I drive it. I apologize if this if vague, but this all kind of happened over the last 24 hours or so. What would you do if you were walking in my shoes? What have those of you done that have had either? I am thinking the car in question (with records, new clutch, new coil packs, and no accidents), should be able to be bought in the high $30s in this market.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:20 PM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a 993 Twin Turbo? I would advise against the F355...for a multitude of reasons including maint. costs. However, it sounds like you may be leaning toward the Ferrari.

If I were in the market for a water cooler, and I may be, I would be looking for a 996/X50.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:54 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at F355s a couple of years ago - from a style point of view, I love them.

However, I was put off by a number of factors. I joined a forum - and couldn't believe threads like "I collect my F355 but it's a 1000 miles away - shall I drive it back?" - the majority of answers were "of course not, something will break and you don't want that on your first day". People actually seemed afraid to drive their cars any distance!

Coming from a Porsche, that was quite a shock. At that time, my 964 was 18 years old (about to hit 20) - and I still trust it to take me anywhere I want to go.

I also searched for reviews etc. of F355s - the number of comments that said things like "OK, so it's not as well built as a Porsche", "Ok, so it's not as reliable as a Porsche" etc. made me laugh.

The ones I did see also put me off. Compared to the 964, the build quality seemed very poor indeed.

My heart still wants one - and if I lived in a huge house with half a dozen cars, I would have one. But in reality - I'm glad I stuck with Porsche. But only you know how much you really want one.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Originally Posted by One of Twenty
How about a 993 Twin Turbo? I would advise against the F355...for a multitude of reasons including maint. costs. However, it sounds like you may be leaning toward the Ferrari.

If I were in the market for a water cooler, and I may be, I would be looking for a 996/X50.
I would love the 993 Twin Turbo, but to get one with similar low mileage (36k miles) would cost me an additional $20,000 on top of what the 996 Twin Turbo costs. That is the main reason. I just cannot justify the additional cost between those two cars.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Meeyatch
Have a bud here in Saudi who's father is the service manager for Ferrari Dubai....I kicked around the idea of a F355, as it does the body good to see/hear/drive a Ferrari...But when he described the maint. (something like pulling the engine for service at 25K? (could be wrong but I think I recall correctly) ....also I like to drive between Mexico and Ontario (kingston area), love road trips period....While I would love a 993TT, money wise I don't think you can beat the 996TT....I drove one here in Saudi, and even though it was treated poorly by PO, it still got up and did as asked....This has pretty much made up my mind...so the hunt has begun! I like to be able to put the key in and go (not to mention a bag or two and my sticks), not worry if I'm going to be stuck on the side of the road...Porsche 996TT !
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM
AdamW81
AutoX

Suprised no one has mentioned the power difference...a 996tt will make a F355 feel like its standing still.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 469 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamW81
Suprised no one has mentioned the power difference...a 996tt will make a F355 feel like its standing still.
yes, but the Ferrari has "soul" and "passion".....now I have to put $2 in James May's Italian Car Swear Word Box....

On a serious note, on this forum everyone will tell you to buy the Porsche. On Fchat, they'll tell you to buy the Ferrari.

Honestly, the Porsche is a much faster car, and if you're going to do ANY track time, buy the Porsche. For a weekend cruiser, buy the Ferrari, but buy it in a 6speed. Yes, it's going to be more expensive, but you're buying an almost-supercar in 90's terms. They are absolutely beautiful, have an incredible sound (especially with an aftermarket exhaust.....OOOH BABY), and truly do come with that soul and passion thing.

FWIW I do have a F355 and a 996 Turbo for sale... check my website

Old 09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

I've had a 355F1 and currently a 996tt. I loved driving the 355F1, the sound is truly intoxicating and yes, it's a Ferrari with soul and passion, but passion comes in many colors. Like I said, I loved driving the 355, but hated, no, I loathed owning it. The maintenance was insane. Constant valve adjustments, oil changes and clutch changes (yes, even on an F1) etc...it's a VERY expensive car to own, comparitively. If you actually drive one and put miles on it, devaluation is a steep curve in a Ferrari and of course more of the fun maintenace and related costs. Tires are off size and pricey, or at least were.

This car made me a nervous wreck, I wouldn't dare leave it out of sight as I was afraid someone might breath on it and in all honesty, for what the car is, it's somewhat slow although you will feel like an F1 driver while redlining and paddle shifting through tunnels, this and hand washing (feeling the hand made curves) were my greatest memories.

The 996tt, it isn't a Ferrari, it doesnt have the same soul or passion but it will absolutely destroy the Ferrari on any road and in any road condition. It's mostly reliable, fairly easy to maintain, many tire choices, wont depreciate by taking taking a small road trip and doesn't have the crazy maintenace schedule. My greatest memory in the Porsche is driving it. the only other F40 I will ever consider owning is the F40, it will be a garage queen while I drive Ferdinands finest.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Meeyatch1
Good evening, gentlemen and ladies. So earlier today I was discussing with my wife what I want to get to replace one of our other cars that just seems to be taking up space in the driveway in favor of something I will actually drive. I have been looking around at the prices of F355s since their values have hit the toilet, and thinking that now may be the time to jump on one.

I love the look of the F355, love the sound, but hate the idea of having to worry that the thing will break down and leave me stranded on a road trip (since, again, I intend to put a lot of mileage on whatever I buy). We went for a walk and a family went by in a 996 Cabriolet with their kids in the back and I said (half jokingly), 'Maybe I should just get a 996 Twin Turbo instead...I mean, they have back seats for me to take Madeline (our newborn daughter) with us,' and did not expect what she said. "Sure. Why not? If they have a back seat I do not see why not (since the 2-seat capacity of the F355 was one of her strikes against it)". The conversation went on that the all-wheel drive system meant I could drive it all year, and even to trip to Canada to see family.

So now here I sit thinking this may really be a good idea. My birthday is coming up anyway, and nothing says 'happy birthday to me' like a new sports car.

Bottom line is this. I found an '01 996 Twin Turbo in California with 36k miles for an asking price of $42,995. I love the color, and the idea that I could drive it all year, and assume that it is fast. I have had other 911s before, but never a Twin Turbo, so essentially I would be buying the car blind and hoping I liked it. Other the other hand, I had a ball in the F355s that I have driven. I am looking for usability, but also a big smile whenever I drive it. I apologize if this if vague, but this all kind of happened over the last 24 hours or so. What would you do if you were walking in my shoes? What have those of you done that have had either? I am thinking the car in question (with records, new clutch, new coil packs, and no accidents), should be able to be bought in the high $30s in this market.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:53 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with the above statements and I think the F355 is a timeless design.
However when I did some research on these cars a while back, one of the things that really stood out was the very questionable quality.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

F355......GREAT car, but just the fact that you are discussing a price for another car tells me you would be sensitive about the first 5 figure (yes, over $10,000) repair bill you get......and you WILL get them.

As a result, I've pretty much wiped the 355 off my list of possibilities and will stick with a 360 or Gallardo instead.....but then I've had a Turbo for 4 years.

Since you haven't, scratch that itch first.....
Old 09-08-2009, 04:48 PM
BuddyG
Burning Brakes

Received 240 Likes on 118 Posts

Porsche all the way. If you have a ton of money then the Ferrari makes sense. As far as sound you
can get an aftermarket exhaust and for not alot of money increase the power even more in the Porsche.

Ask me how I know!
Old 09-08-2009, 05:00 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Was there not a website a few years ago about daily driving the Ferrari 355? I'm sure there were two guys trying to do it and finding out the hard way through their various misadventures .
Get the x50 or turbo s 996tt
Old 09-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Doug Hayashi and Wayne Mello

http://www.nsxfiles.com

Doug posts on corner-carvers.com so you may be able to PM him there and get his opinion if you don't get a good idea from reading his F355 chapters...

///Michael
Old 09-08-2009, 05:27 PM
deepblue
Rennlist Member

I remember them well during my NSX days, does Wayne still have his 944 turbo and Doug the Flamemobile? Their initial experiences were influential in my getting the 355.

I lost track of them after my last NSX, btw, I had the black tan 94 NSX (#333) when I lived in Dallas, Do you know Vaughn D (Silver 91 NSX) by chance?

Not sure if you know Roy Smalley of Eurowerks in Addison, they rebuilt a smashed F355 a few years ago, the tech (artisan) hammered out the aluminum body panels by hand, looked nothing short of amazing!

Originally Posted by Michael-Dallas
Doug Hayashi and Wayne Mello

http://www.nsxfiles.com

Doug posts on corner-carvers.com so you may be able to PM him there and get his opinion if you don't get a good idea from reading his F355 chapters...

///Michael
Old 09-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Michael-Dallas
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by deepblue
I remember them well during my NSX days, does Wayne still have his 944 turbo and Doug the Flamemobile? Their initial experiences were influential in my getting the 355.
I think Doug still has the Flamemobile, but I'm not sure if Wayne still has the 944. As far as I know, Doug still has the 355 and Wayne has a 360. Doug had a second child in the past year, so his track habit has taken somewhat a dramatic change in direction. He releases chapters at maybe 2-4 times a year it seems and it's more about their karting habit.

I lost track of them after my last NSX, btw, I had the black tan 94 NSX (#333) when I lived in Dallas, Do you know Vaughn D (Silver 91 NSX) by chance?
Hmmm... I used to frequent nsxprime when I was dreaming of an NSX. Vaughn sounds vaguely familiar. But, I still have a David Kimble cutaway clock still in the box and shrink wrap and a couple of Kyosho 1:18 scale NSX models.

Not sure if you know Roy Smalley of Eurowerks in Addison, they rebuilt a smashed F355 a few years ago, the tech (artisan) hammered out the aluminum body panels by hand, looked nothing short of amazing!
That is amazing... I would love to see that! I actually work in Addison, at the Tollway and Keller Springs.

///Michael

Quick Reply: May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.