Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Nobody drives their Ferrari's. That's why there are so many low-miles cars.
Absolutely nobody drives them after the first engine-out routine service, because nobody wants to pay for that again.
They sound great, but really are not particularly quick by today's standards. And, I didn't think the handling was great either.
Based on what you said about anticipated use, I don't see how a 355 is even on your wish list. On the other hand if you buy it, don't drive it, and put away the money you will save for the anticipated miles you didn't drive, you will have enough for an 996tt in about 3 years. And, like all Ferrari owners, you will have a nearly unused Ferrari in your garage.AS
I know that most do not drive Ferraris much, but I am not most people. Part of me thinks it would be fun to slap some snow tires on their and pile on the miles year round. I am aware of the maintenance involved, and while it is a negative, it is not the only factor involved in the decision. I just want to know that every time I turn the key I am happy with what I am driving, and have a smile on my face. Plus, I still have one of my NSXs (and plan to keep it), so even if I have some service issues on whatever I get, I know the NSX will be there (as it always has been).
Old 09-10-2009, 08:22 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can afford it, go for it. The word on the street is avoid the 355 and go with a 430 if at all possible....just what I have been told by abvout 4 Ferrari owners.

I love the 355 too...but IF I had the funds, I'd probably get a 430.

JB
Old 09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

It appears that I will probably go the route of the 996 Twin Turbo. Not so much because of the probability that the F355 would need more maintenance, but that it may require a level of repairs where I would simply be too annoyed to always be dragging it back and forth to whatever out of town Ferrari dealer is closest (there are none in the state of Indiana). Plus, the lure of either a white 996 Twin Turbo or a completely blacked out one would be fun. I just missed out on a white one a few days ago that was for sale for what must have been all of 2 days out in California. Anyone know where I can find another white one? There are NONE on Auto Trader, Cars.com, or Ebay, with 6-speed transmissions.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

YES! White 996 TT is nice!
Old 09-11-2009, 03:39 AM
panchosouth
Rennlist Member

Meeyatch-
Plan to be in your neck of the woods w/a new beasty next summer, will make sure to stop by for a grunt and squeak and forementioned frosty....however if you discover Jessica Alba in your garage prior to that let me know and I'll fly in early!
Frank
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by panchosouth
Meeyatch-
Plan to be in your neck of the woods w/a new beasty next summer, will make sure to stop by for a grunt and squeak and forementioned frosty....however if you discover Jessica Alba in your garage prior to that let me know and I'll fly in early!
Frank
Great!! Looking forward to it!!

As for Jessica Alba...if I find her in my garage, I will not be leaving the house for a looooong time.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:23 PM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

So I made an offer tonight to a seller who has an '02 996TT X50 package with 47k miles, 3-owners, and no service records. Offered up $45,000 to be fair since it came with a new clutch and Porsche installed transmission to fix the 2nd gear pop out problem, but the owner turned it down. I thought my offer was perfectly reasonable since there is essentially no service history for the car, and it has relatively higher mileage, and cars with much fewer miles are available all day long. Am I missing the boat or something? Was my offer not fair?
Old 09-13-2009, 11:35 PM
technivoro.us
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds more than fair. I paid nearly 10k less a few weeks ago, albeit for a non-X50 car with 20k more miles and a tip.

I had records from the past owner (2.5 years) but not prior.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:19 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Originally Posted by sav911
Sounds more than fair. I paid nearly 10k less a few weeks ago, albeit for a non-X50 car with 20k more miles and a tip.

I had records from the past owner (2.5 years) but not prior.
I thought so too, considering the market for the 996TT right now. He was originally asking $49,995, which I advised him was not reasonable for a car with that kind of mileage and no documentation. I guess we will see what happens, but I just wanted to know if I was missing something on the offer being fair.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
niche
Drifting

He's not as motivated as some, I guess...
Old 09-23-2009, 06:24 PM
redjeeper
3rd Gear

Ferrari ownership is like having a really hot girlfriend and saving her for her next boyfriend.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Shawn D
Intermediate

I would also get a 996 Turbo over a Ferrari. My Dad got the 360 and loves the car to death but it just isn't something you can drive all the time and is more of a garage queen, and that is why I will go the Porsche turbo route because it really is a supercar you can drive everyday. Also not as big of a deal but you can drive a Porsche to work without looking like an a$$ and not so much with a Ferrari (that may just be how I feel though).

Have you seen the Top Gear where Clarkson drives the Turbo? Explains why I would get a turbo perfectly.

Saw you made an offer. Thats awesome hope to see pics soon!!!

Quick Reply: May buy 996 Twin Turbo instead of F355...a bit torn.