New Turbo (Lemon)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Jackel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Turbo (Lemon)

Guess I'm going back to NA.

I "bought" my old C4 Cabrio back from the dealer before going on vacation last Wednesday. Turns out (after several thousand bucks) that it was a lemon. PPI looked clean, but the thing was nothing but headaches! After getting my alternator fixed and driving off the lot (after another repair), my 3rd MAF blew. So I drove it back and said I was done (none too politely) and told them to find my "old" car. Can't believe they ever had that car on the lot to sell.

Long story short: Don't ever buy from Stevinson Imports.

Hope I may go Turbo in the future, but for now I'm so sick from this I'm going back to my old P-car and maybe a new motorcycle. Still love Porsche and appreciate all the input from fellow Rennlisters. See you on the NA 996 site for a while....
Old 11-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Jackel
Instructor

Oh yeh, BTW I only had this car for 14 days (8 it was in the shop). Make sure no one buys this car!
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WOW!!! Bummer to hear

My TT has been nothing but smiles for me.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

Although I can certainly appreciate your frustration, those repairs should have been to diagnose and fix. This is where a competent indy comes in handy. Good luck with your future searches!

Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 03:47 PM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear of the problems, but the car did have an Evo airbox,(among other mods) which some say they are more prone to failing air mass meters. I believe it did not have the "waffle" in it, which others have said helps night/day. Also was a non-oiled filter. With a factory airbox, and maybe losing 8-10HP, I think this would have been a non-issue, and also, as far as the alternator goes, there is no good way of knowing it is "failing". If it was working the entire time the car was at the dealer, and the time it was with its previous owner (which it was), there would have been no reason to suspect it was going to be an issue. The car is mechanically in fine working condition. I do not benefit in any way from posting this, I am just calling it like I have seen the events unfold. Car is also having a stock airbox put back in it before it is resold, in an attempt to keep this from re-occuring.

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 12-01-2008 at 04:36 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I have heard the same thing Demon.

Sales department aside I have always had VERY good luck at Stevinson.

Sorry to see you had an issue.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

ah it's just a coincidence. atleast that's what the doc told me. what happened to the self proclaimed doc? burnt?
Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

man what a shame because that car was awesome looking. i would have held on a little longer before giving it back. car looked great and with the low miles appeared to be a great deal. wish you luck in the future.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

with all the posts about MAF problems relating to oiled air-filters I am astonished anyone suckers for that play. The idea that Porsche would leave (pick a number) from 10-30 HP on the table for the price of an air-filter is nuts to begin with.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry to hear what you decided. I gave you the advice you needed...easy fix IMO. I have never bought a car from Stevinson Imports (although I have bought ~10 from Stevinson Lexus), the guys from their shop are top notch!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 PM
Jackel
Instructor

Originally Posted by porschespeeddemon
Sorry to hear of the problems, but the car did have an Evo airbox,(among other mods) which some say they are more prone to failing air mass meters. I believe it did not have the "waffle" in it, which others have said helps night/day. Also was a non-oiled filter. With a factory airbox, and maybe losing 8-10HP, I think this would have been a non-issue, and also, as far as the alternator goes, there is no good way of knowing it is "failing". If it was working the entire time the car was at the dealer, and the time it was with its previous owner (which it was), there would have been no reason to suspect it was going to be an issue. The car is mechanically in fine working condition. I do not benefit in any way from posting this, I am just calling it like I have seen the events unfold. Car is also having a stock airbox put back in it before it is resold, in an attempt to keep this from re-occuring.
So... you are not affiliated, but work for them and know everything about what happened... hmmm....

Since we're going there...

As far as the alternator, the dealer had to jump the car when I came in (before buying it) because it wouldn't turn over!

The dealer also had previously fixed a code problem and failed to list the remedy (which was a MAF sensor, BTW). I had asked for carfax and service history for weeks and didn't get it until I showed up to buy the car. I asked them to check the washers on the car and they didn't. Guess what was broken when I came to pick it up? Ezzy picked me out specifically to show this car to instead of getting rid of it to wholesale. This is not some Colfax sub 10 grand car dealership we are talking about. You have to fight them just to get a 2nd key (don't beleive me, try buying a used car and see...) I realize after paying them over 3 thousand dollars for nothing, plus taxes, plus repairs, etc I might be a little upset.

Would you be??

If not, they also sent me off with only 2 threads holding each rear wheel. This is after they did their own "safety inspection". Their response was it must have been the previous owner. Hello! YOU ARE the previous owner!

And for its final problem - if it's such an easy fix, why didn't the service department say so? And how come Justin had to rev my car to keep it running after a brand new alternator was put in. Or, why less than a half mile down the road (BTW it does have the new waffle in it already and a proper lubed air filter) after being "repaired" did the PASM, ABS, and CEL lights come on (yes, MAF # 3 was toast)?

Because the car is a total f!$%ing lemon, thats why. Does speeddemon, aka Stevinson Imports Employee, really think I spent over ten grand just to turn it back in?!?

But to answer one thing on everyone's mind, yes, I should have seen by all the above attemts to "cover up" this cars many problems, and the way they do usiness, that I should have just left and never come back. Guess they aren't any different than the hole in the wall dealers on Colfax. I expected better, my bad.

I'm just trying to save fellow Rennlist folks my misfortune.

Go ahead and buy from them if you think they still sound like a trustworthy dealership to you.

PS Still love Porsche and appreciate the fine folks I've met on this site and at PCA. Heck, I even hope Speeddemon understands this car is no simple fix and that I am not "taking anything out" on him. But this car is NOT fine mechanically.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Jackel
Instructor

Bill, I appreciate the advice.

I talked quite a bit with Eurosport. There is a lot more going on with this car than just the MAF I'm afraid. I am back in my Carrera 4 Cabrio and its (knock on wood) running great. I think this one just had too many wild mods and it just trashed it somehow. If its too good to be true....

Anyway, I'll still linger on with my new "old" car and maybe buy a Turbo in the future. With a Porsche CPO from another dealer of course

You have all been great, thanks again!
Old 12-01-2008, 08:37 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jackel
Guess I'm going back to NA.

I "bought" my old C4 Cabrio back from the dealer before going on vacation last Wednesday. Turns out (after several thousand bucks) that it was a lemon. PPI looked clean, but the thing was nothing but headaches! After getting my alternator fixed and driving off the lot (after another repair), my 3rd MAF blew. So I drove it back and said I was done (none too politely) and told them to find my "old" car. Can't believe they ever had that car on the lot to sell.

Long story short: Don't ever buy from Stevinson Imports.

Hope I may go Turbo in the future, but for now I'm so sick from this I'm going back to my old P-car and maybe a new motorcycle. Still love Porsche and appreciate all the input from fellow Rennlisters. See you on the NA 996 site for a while....
Wow, a far cry from your previous thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/465939-new-turbo-to-me-anyway.html

Just wish the ride was a bit longer and better for ya
Old 12-01-2008, 08:38 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I think this is an enlightening thread. The car is beautiful, but seriously altered. The problem of buying somebody's "$50,000 of improvements" is the $25,000 it takes to unwind them. Sorry for your bad experience.
The lesson seems to be careful attention to the quality and installment of the mods, learning the real history of the car, and having a deep enough discount to counterbalance the anguish. Maybe lesson #2 is the negative value of aftermarket mods. Despite the cost differential, I thikI'd buy a stock car, and do the mods myself. At least that way, you have the original components. Again, sorry for your loss. AS
Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Jackel
Instructor

thanks! I wish the ride were longer too. But at almost a grand a day, I'm glad the ride is over! lol!

I learned a lot though and still love Porsche. Maybe that car was part Ferrari... lol!

Quick Reply: New Turbo (Lemon)