Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Turbo (Lemon)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Little advice, always looks bad for a dealer's rep to trade barbs with customers on line, you'll never win.
I think you guys should have identified all of these issues and fixed them prior to offering it for sale through a porsche dealer. That I would expect from a honda dealer's used car lot, not a porsche dealer, you guys knew better. The car was a POS in the form it was sold to jackel, anybody could see that. When you buy a used 911 from a porsche dealer, even if it's not a cpo, you have a certain amount of confidence and trust that they won't pull a fast one. You guys should have just dumped that POS at auction instead of selling it to a longtime porsche customer as a 'good car'. Come on, you had to know better. That car's been rode hard and put up wet, just a matter of time before it starts spitting out con rods.
If I were jackel I'd fwd a copy of this thread to the dealer GM and porsche NA.
c
Old 12-04-2008, 12:10 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

While I don't condone what happened with this dealer I also don't believe it's fair to jump P52's sh** either. He appears (IMO) to be just what he says he is (a technician). Yes this dealer SHOULD have known and fixed these issues in advance but it didn't happen.

Jackel, unfortunately in life you sometimes learn hard lessons. This happens to be one of them for you. Don't let this sour you from the TT. They truly are awesome cars. I've owned almost a dozen P-cars in my life and this one is way at the top of the list with only my slant 930 as a close second.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:14 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

My comments are aimed at the dealership as a whole, not just the tech. But I agree with slant, they are still good cars. In fact, I'm always on the lookout for a late 80s 930 slant myself!
c
Old 12-04-2008, 12:27 PM
porsche52
Board Certified Porsche Trauma Surgeon
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I understand your point TT surgeon. I thought long and hard before joining and posting on this issue. My sole intention is to in a sense help educate people on this issue. I or nobody from our service department would ever bash or trade barbs with a customer, beacuse you are correct, we will never win, and with the economy and state of the world we live in, the last thing we can afford to do is loose good customers. I also agree that the cars that you guys own and the cars that I love waking up every day to come work on, are the great cars without a doubt. This one leaves a bad test in everyones mouth, trust me.

Last edited by porsche52; 12-04-2008 at 05:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Hummmmm

I am going to wade in here. I am going to offer a different angle.

A dealership is a business. And as a business there is a fine line with regards to investment and ROI per si. Many of you guys know this. How many of us with modified cars could go out there right now and find every single issue with the car and sell it as perfect? AND if you can what if you buyer comes to you next week saying the coolant tank started to leak? You KNOW it was not leaking when it left. Maybe you fix it for him as a nice guy. But how long out does it go before the car is yours AND you need to pay for stuff that goes wrong?

That being said I am not a fan of dealers. And Stevinson's sales department has always disappointed me. BUT the service guys are top notch. I know both of these techs and they have worked on my air and water cooled cars. Very smart and willing to dig for the issue.

BUT one would think, how much time are they given to pre-inspect a car? I would suspect they are given a list of tasks to perform and then that is that. But to custom check each car for possible quirks may be stretching it a bit here. Think of the MAF. He was informed it may not last and it was on their dime. Who knows if he was told that the EVO box is suspect or not? I have been waved off by several board members to getting a EVO box. One went so far as to refuse to sell his to me as he would see me at meets and wouldn't want me to give him my MAF bill .

So, was this a perfect situation? No. Both parties take something away from this. Dealer may inspect modified cars a bit deeper. Buyer should pay for a in depth PPI no matter what. etc.

Just my .02 looking (and having been) on both sides.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:19 PM
porschespeeddemon
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche52
I understand your point TT surgeon. I thought long and hard before joining and posting on this issue. My sole intention is to in a sense help edjucate people on this issue. I or nobody from our service department would ever bash or trade barbs with a customer, beacuse you are correct, we will never win, and with the economy and state of the world we live in, the last thing we can afford to do is loose good customers. I also agree that the cars that you guys own and the cars that I love waking up every day to come work on, are the great cars without a doubt. This one leaves a bad test in everyones mouth, trust me.
I agree, nobody wins in a finger pointing contest. I think we could all be so lucky to have the technical contributions made in this thread. That's one of the things that makes these forums so valuable. I dont believe porsche52 or myself can speak for what went on outside the shop. That information is between Jackel and the sales department. Hindsight is, as they say, always 20/20.

Edit: off topic, slant911 I'm in your neck of the woods this week, and saw the original 930S prototype at Imperial Palace. What a collection!

Last edited by porschespeeddemon; 12-04-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 PM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Thank you so much Tim!! Your 2 cents hits the nail right on the head.
Old 12-04-2008, 02:54 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buying a pre-owned high performance vehicle, especially an import, is always a gamble imo because you can never be to sure of the previous history. a ppi can not always tell you everything and how much out of pocket money are you willing to spend on a ppi especially if the ppi comes back negatively. for me there is no way i will buy a car like this without a manufactures warranty that will cover major repairs. all of my p-cars have had part of the four years manufactures warranty followed by the cpo and the same have saved me mucho $$$.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:43 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm glad to see 52 join here. His technical knowledge will be appreciated. I think we should all give him a warm welcome.

I've already commented, but to reiterate....the V-blow does not work at altitude. With this removed (as I suggested) there would be no MAF problem. Leaks, well that is the nature of the beast. They can be tracked down (and I'm sure would have been even if it were still owned by Jackel).

Stevinson has always been very fair to me...they know my car is modded and don't immediately preclude me from warranty service (unlike other dealers in the area). Manny, there are very few (actually none) dealers that would give a mfg. warranty on a modded car.

I'm out!
Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

I would have to agree that Stevenson is the worst dealer I have ever dealt with. I flew there to buy a car that was not anything like it was described. Sure the pictures looked good. But things that I specifically asked about and was assured that the car was pristine turned out to be anything but.

So, I would have to say they lied and cost me time and $. If I had it to do over again, I probably would have punched the salesman before I left.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Who was your sales guy?

Only guy that is HALF WAY decent that I have dealt with is (yes this is his name) Joe Carrera
Old 12-04-2008, 10:28 PM
adam_
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 to Tim's comments.

And now that I've reflected on it... Porsche52, thanks for at least posting. I was lumping you with the dealership as a whole, and I know better.

Cheers-

Adam
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
porsche52
Cayenne Grief Counselor
Rennlist Member

Hey Tim, I agree, me and Joey fat boy Carrera were (still are) good freinds. But the SOB jumped ship and went to work at the new Ralph Shomp BMW at C-470 and Lucent. That is a nice, nice store, wish we were at that location.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:08 PM
DublinOh
Instructor

Thanks to both of the techs for cool heads and info...also sorry to hear about your poor experience Jackel.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Jackel
Instructor

Thank you all for your input. I agree that the Sales department took the easy road and, instead of doing the right thing, went for the "quick buck". A true shame. I'll let the Stevinsons' know they lost a good repeat customer over (for them) just a few thousand dollars. I make IMO very good money and so do many of my co-workers and friends. They make the right amount of money (right at/over 100k a year) to be perfect potential customers. Any dealership of this (supposedly) calibre should have acted differently. I still love Porsches and 911 Turbos in particular. I will definitely get a Porsche "extended coverage" CPO if I ever get a 911 Turbo at all. I would have continued servicing my car at Stevinson and within the next 5-10 years would have bought a Cayenne TT and another 911 (997+) TT from them, not counting telling my friends and co-workers. Not a good business decision or business model for their success in the long run.

This ends it for me on this thread, again thank you all very much for all the opinions and information!!

Cheers.

Quick Reply: New Turbo (Lemon)