Sponsored by:

Product Release: EPL’s K16/16g Turbo Upgrade Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 106 Posts

Along the lines of what mpclimber said, the 60-130 for similar stages of tune is just as good as its repeatability (sp) across any customer car having the same kit fitted. What matters is to know what this kit would perform like in any other car without further mods.... like removing seats or putting lightweight batteries etc.. If I see a non repeatable, extraordinary result from any kit that is supposed to be generic, I would be questioning the relevance of the numbers, it will be good for bragging rights and feel good, but just not relevant for comparison purposes IMO.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mpclimber
Dock,
My point is that a 60-130 number is a vaccum means nothing.
Reference my post #61 in this thread...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
TXGold
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What is your handle on 6 Speed?

Good luck with your product. I am no longer interested. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:47 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Reference my post #61 in this thread...
Thank you for the cross-reference. You've missed my point entirely.

My point is that there is a dearth of information from other tuners with similarly powered kits (hence the information vacuum). So if I run my car tomorrow and it makes an 8 second pass, what does that matter if we do not have a context with which to compare? What are other 600hp 996TT kits making in 60-130?

Hence my desire to do the runs with other similarly powered kits present. We still need a K16/24 in the tri-state area to participate. Any leads.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by mpclimber
So if I run my car tomorrow and it makes an 8 second pass, what does that matter if we do not have a context with which to compare?
What don't you get about how my #61 post provides context? If people will do their best due diligence in identifying the variables...car specifics, road and weather specifics, etc., then you have context with which to frame the results.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 80 Posts

There are a lot of things that can be said about the "EPL" solution to tuning. Some like your approach, Tony. Some suspect you've robbed other tuners software and are now claiming their hard efforts as your own (DOn't know if you're aware of this, but hey I'm the turd in your punch bowl), and others are going to challenge what you're doing.

Bottom line is that dyno numbers alone won't work. I've complained about this issue myself. To insure you're covering your bases, you better get your "shop car" to the drags, to the 60-130 and then post that data with your dyno sheets. Otherwise, These guys aren't buying...

Mike
Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 PM
Tony@epl
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mikelly
There are a lot of things that can be said about the "EPL" solution to tuning. Some like your approach, Tony. Some suspect you've robbed other tuners software and are now claiming their hard efforts as your own (DOn't know if you're aware of this, but hey I'm the turd in your punch bowl), and others are going to challenge what you're doing.

Bottom line is that dyno numbers alone won't work. I've complained about this issue myself. To insure you're covering your bases, you better get your "shop car" to the drags, to the 60-130 and then post that data with your dyno sheets. Otherwise, These guys aren't buying...

Mike
Wow...I dont even know what to say.

You have alot of nerve mentioning publicly that we have stolen others software....

Why dont you take a few minutes and look at audiworld.com and see that we've been producing our OWN software for years.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
DualSpool
Track Day

Mike
MiKelly....you're pretty off base with this post. What other vendors have a tune available for k16/16g ? ....none, exactly.

Being a veteran member of the Audi community and a relatively new member to the Porsche community I can tell you first hand that your facts are wrong. I'm not sure what pissed off competitor you've been talking to...or if you're frustrated that there are other kits now available to the 996 tt market with impressive data and lower prices, but calling someone a theif on a public forum based on hearsay is out of line and honestly, pretty immature. Dude, you're 41....grow up.

To others reading MiKelly's post....go do some research in other car communities both in the US and EU before taking this foolish statements seriously. There is plenty of data out there on EPL tuned me7 cars (among other) and their satisfied customers.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

This sounds like fun....NOT...anyway I think Jean's post at the top is right on. nough said.

ps...it seems awfully strange all these new posters coming to EPL's rescue...we are talking about Porsches here, not audis
Old 03-26-2008, 12:30 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
He has no 996tt shopcar afaik.

His tuning experience focuses mainly on VAG cars, recently he started P cars and is bombarding the forums with his products.

As I have stated on another EPL thread, his dyno numbers have not been translated into matching real world performance data. There is alot of Audi talk from him and his supporters but his "custom tuned" vehicles perform the same or worse in some cases than generic of the shelf kits from other tuners. Their Audi shop car has NOT ONE, to the best of my knowledge, 1/4 pass with the corresponding trapspeed to support their Mustang "open dump race gas " lol, claims. Now we have a clear reluctance to provide data in this thread beside their dyno numbers.................anybody see a pattern ?

This does not mean that they are bad guys or hacks and a buyer most likely will be served well but their claims are certainly polished max for marketing purposes..................

Most modern tuners claim to have intimate knowledge about the recent Bosch Me's and tune accordingly with big numbers attached. In the March issue of Sport Auto, imo, the best and most unbiased performance mag on the planet, a Cargraphis (read RS ) tuning 997 tt with a modest weight reduction but still having the same power to weight ratio than its 600hp upgraded turbos counterparts from Gemball, Speedart and Techart obliterated the above, by as much a full sec + from 0-200 km/h, with a measly 544 hp.

Claimed hp and real world hp are a different kettle of fish.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:32 AM
DualSpool
Track Day

Originally Posted by wross996tt
This sounds like fun....NOT...anyway I think Jean's post at the top is right on. nough said.

ps...it seems awfully strange all these new posters coming to EPL's rescue...we are talking about Porsches here, not audis
Well I guess time will tell with EPL tunes for all kits, not just the k16/16g product they released in this post. Hopefully some of the other customers who have purchased this kit will chime in and post 60-130 data.

I'm not saying that EPL has the best tune out there or that they're better then other tuners. I just find it a little silly to make false accusations.

Tuners who have the ability to tune ME7 platform cars can tune Porsche's or Audis or VW, Seat, etc.... So whats your point?

As for being a new member to this board, what does that really have to do with anything? I've been an audi owner for years and will soon be purchasing a 996 TT. For most people it takes time to afford a Porsche.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:49 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by DualSpool
Tuners who have the ability to tune ME7 platform cars can tune Porsche's or Audis or VW, Seat, etc.... So whats your point?
I need to spell it out for you? The point is that folks here want to know about how the prospective tuner and prospective kit will work in their car. They rely on others experiences with the kits and in trusting the tuners (who has years of experience in Porsche)...not a tuner who has done it else where. They want someone with a track record...why...look at your next quote
I've been an audi owner for years and will soon be purchasing a 996 TT. For most people it takes time to afford a Porsche.
These cars cost a little more than a VW or an audi, etc. people want to feel comfortable with what they are getting...that seems quite fair to me.
As for being a new member to this board, what does that really have to do with anything?
I assume you are on other boards...typically noobs that start with posts like yours (without any introduction BTW) are potentially considered trolls

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 AM
DualSpool
Track Day

I need to spell it out for you? The point is that folks here want to know about how the prospective tuner and prospective kit will work in their car. They rely on others experiences with the kits and in trusting the tuners (who has years of experience in Porsche)...not a tuner who has done it else where. They want someone with a track record...why...look at your next quote
These cars cost a little more than a VW or an audi, etc. people want to feel comfortable with what they are getting...that seems quite fair to me.
I'm not arguing that someone wants to know how the tune and kit will work on their car. But what research are people doing before posting negative things about EPL? This post is for a new kit, right? Is it just me, or when things are new, they start with few users? There are other Porsche owners (not just 996TTs) who are more then satisfied with their EPL custom tunes. Not just street cars either...plenty of track/race cars as well.

I assume you are on other boards...typically noobs that start with posts like yours (without any introduction BTW) are potentially considered trolls

Welcome aboard.
as for the troll comment....sorry for not posting my registration to this forum. I am on other forums, yes. I am also in the process of researching the 996TT and will soon be purchasing one. So yes, new to this forum (and I believe I mentioned that in my first post). Been on 6spdonline longer, fwiw. Most forums are full of opinions and when I read a post that makes false accusations, then I will surely reply. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:21 AM
DualSpool
Track Day

just b/c they cost more doesn't mean you need more comfort to mod them...

are you serious with that comment???
Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 AM
Tony@epl
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm appalled at the lack of respect toward one another I have seen on this forum.

This forum was suggested to me as the BEST Porsche forum on the internet. I was excited to share knowledge and hopefully further develop the 996 platform.

For those that responded positively to this thread, I thank you. If you are interested in the product please feel free to email me direct at tony@eplabs.net.

Im all for skepticism of new products. If you have a constructive post, please feel free to add to this discussion.

At the end of the day we are all here for the same purpose...to grow and further the 996 community.

If you are planing on posting false or empty statements, please take a moment to think if its going to help this discussion in anyway.

Quick Reply: Product Release: EPL’s K16/16g Turbo Upgrade Kit