Tony@epl
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MGS996
Is this now an Audi thread ?
Originally Posted by Dock
It almost seems like the recruiting call went out, and the Audi guys have responded.
Please stay on topic if you would like to continue posting in this thread.

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:06 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Having 60-130 acceleration data from other "600 hp" Turbos is not a prerequisite for obtaining useful information from 60-130 runs with the ELP K16/16g Turbo.
Yes, but no matter what my car runs, I'm sure many of the detractors in this post will claim that the other 600hp kits could run it faster. If the goal is to measure whether this car meets or exceeds the performance of other, significantly more expensive 600hp kits, knowing what those cars run 60-130 is important.

So I ask again, are there any tri-state K16/K24 cars willing to participate in my testing day?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:20 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

It almost seems like the recruiting call went out, and the Audi guys have responded.
Interesting observation. Another interesting observation might be that all of the posts in this thread are positive aside from those of: TXGold, Mikelly, MGS996, wross996tt and yourself. When I look for the common denominator, it appears that all are customers (or pledged future customers) of the same tuner; one who markets a similarly powered kit at approximately twice the cost.

So Mikelly and wross996tt, your cars are both K16/K24 with UMW software, no? Care to post your 60-130 times so that we have a proper frame of reference?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:30 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 71 Posts

Welcome to the world of tuning cars for a living Tony. I haven't "heard" any of your competition say you've stollen anything, but I've had conversations with other 996tt owners and the topic has come up... If you haven't, then sleep well at night.

You have nothing to prove to us and your product will stand on it's own. If you're offended by posts on the internet, then you won't get far...

My 60-130ft. times??? Don't know, and don't care. 1/4 mile time??? Will never know now that I'm going with a "non-drag" friendly clutch. All I care about is lap times... But when I first starting talking about "power" and estimates, I got hammered by everyone saying "dyno numbers don't mean chit"... So there you have it...

This an audi forum?

Couldn't resist.

Mike
Old 03-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony@epl
Please stay on topic if you would like to continue posting in this thread.

Thanks!

Is that a threat?
Old 03-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mpclimber
Yes, but no matter what my car runs, I'm sure many of the detractors in this post will claim that the other 600hp kits could run it faster.
Why do you care? What's important is data..you can't control what every single person is going to think.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:48 PM
John D II
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 337 Likes on 233 Posts

In addition to not only knowing his way expertly around tuning, I was also impressed that Tony was a very stand up guy. He is very honest and has a great sense of fairness, which I believe plays into the pricing of this kit here.
I have been a rennlist member since '99 (it says 2001, but that is because the computer crashed or something and everything was reconfigured in 2001). This is my 6th 911 over a 20 year span and I have dealt with a lot of porsche techs over the years. jjprice nicely sums up my impression of Tony and EPL after having spent the day with him last week. Tony reminds me of a computer wiz, who could do wonders in any industry using his blend of down to earth reasoning, fairness and thorough understanding of the task at hand. Based on lengthly conversations, watching him in action, seeing what they are doing with other cars, etc. - I would trust him to fine tune my car any day...and I think that those that choose to do business with him will be very fortunate to have Tony to call on as their needs increase...I'll bet the K16/16G with injectors will be a very cost effective step, with huge rewards for those that desire a little more than the standard 16G has to offer and at a cost substantially less than some other "step-up" kits. And I don't think it will be long to find out what these K16/16G's do at 1.3 bar with more fuel...IMHO, Tony is making HP that used to cost a lot of money, very affordable, as we move forward in the evolution of 996TT tuning. Just my .02 based on meeting Tony and seeing what EPL is up to in CT.
2022 Cayenne White
former 1972 911T white, 1984 911 3.2 Targa black, 993 cab white, 993TT arena red, 993TT silver, 996TT speed yellow, 991.1 GT3 white
www.speedtechexhausts.com
info@speedtechexhausts.com
Testimonials SpeedTech Exhaust Videos facebook
Old 03-26-2008, 09:51 PM
jjprices
3rd Gear

Smile

MGS996 and Dock,

I'm sorry that some replies here are Audi specific. Since EPL has earned a great reputation in the Audi enthusiast community through very well done tuning and excellent customer service, we're just backing up EPL based on our own experiences with the company. The intent wasn't to say "EPL tunes Audis very well", but to try and communicate the type of company that EPL is.

Audi enthusiasts are also a picky group. Many of us have logging software which allows us to log 20 or more samples per second across many sensors and ECU variables, and we share the resulting data with each other from different tuners. I just bring that up to try and prevent anyone from thinking Audi enthusiasts don't know how to evaluate software or don't know what we're talking about.

No "call for help" went out from EPL. A few Audi enthusiasts just sent each other this link, and we just wanted to share our experience with the company because of some incorrect rumors that were here. I actually had been watching this thead long before any members replied with incorrect information on what type of company EPL is.

If anyone is in the Minneapolis area, I would be more than happy to meet for lunch or dinner, look at tuning data, and even provide a ride in a car running EPL software. The intent would be to help provide information on what kind of company EPL is, and discuss real world results of local cars EPL has tuned. I can be reached via email at jprice@mnaudi.com .

Cheers all!
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

Why do you care? What's important is data..you can't control what every single person is going to think.
For data to be valuable, there must be other data points to compare it to. Back to my original point, one data point in a vacuum is meaningless (or reference my post #90 if you prefer).
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting observation. Another interesting observation might be that all of the posts in this thread are positive aside from those of: TXGold, Mikelly, MGS996, wross996tt and yourself. When I look for the common denominator, it appears that all are customers (or pledged future customers) of the same tuner; one who markets a similarly powered kit at approximately twice the cost.
I haven't placed an order with any turner...but I can tell you that the chances of EPL winning me over grow dimmer by the minute...especially given the use of PMs some here have taken...using them instead of discussing things in this thread. Follow that action up with the seriously egregious comment by Tony..."Please stay on topic if you would like to continue posting in this thread".

Not a slick way to sell things to people.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For data to be valuable, there must be other data points to compare it to. Back to my original point, one data point in a vacuum is meaningless (or reference my post #90 if you prefer).
It's not one data point in a vacuum. There are plenty of data points out there. Once again, the data does not have to all come from similarly "claimed power" Turbos to be of use.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:06 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jjprices
No "call for help" went out from EPL.
And I didn't say EPL had anything to do with it.

Originally Posted by jjprices
A few Audi enthusiasts just sent each other this link, and we just wanted to share our experience with the company because of some incorrect rumors that were here.
And that's what this suggested...

Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

I haven't placed an order with any turner.
Hence the "pledged" part:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/406827-change-of-tune.html

Also, staying on topic and using PMs are now bad etiquite?
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 PM
mpclimber
Instructor

It's not one data point in a vacuum. There are plenty of data points out there. Once again, the data does not have to all come from similarly "claimed power" Turbos to be of use.
Great! Please provide the relevant data points so I know what I should be expecting.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Do you think someone who hasn't yet signed the check can still shop around??

Hence the..."Not a slick way to sell things to people."...part.

Quick Reply: Product Release: EPL’s K16/16g Turbo Upgrade Kit