Sponsored by:

Would you say CPO is a must...

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:38 PM
luke byron
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you say CPO is a must...

I am still shopping for an 02 996TT ('02 in my pay cash budget) and even if you have a good PPI it seems like i$$ues still come up from what I have read.

Would you say a CPO car is more important than a good PPI w/o a CPO warranty?

Also if I find a CPO car at a dealer would you still request a PPI?

Isn't a CPO car gone through a 100+ point inspection to become a CPO?

Thanks.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:59 PM
kilrgt
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say no, most ppl that have cpo have most of the claims denied.Its good if the car has but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. It deosnt really cover much, ask the dealer for a detailed list.Make sure you get a PPI...NO MATTER WHAT..
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 AM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

From what I have seen and heard the warranty is just OK. Many things get denied. CPO would be a "nice" added bonus, but I wouldn't pay extra for it and I certainly wouldn't narrow my search to just CPO'd cars.

No matter what though get a PPI at a shop other than the dealer selling the car (if a dealer car).
Old 03-01-2008, 12:19 AM
TT Gasman
Drifting

No, more important would be a documented service record and a good PPI.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:18 AM
luke byron
Advanced

The only problem with a good PPI is that I already have two dealerships and an indy shop tell me that they will do a PPI (mechanical/visual/readouts etc) but they will not do a compression/leakdown.

My concern is at least a CPO will cover a major engine failure:

Engine:
Engine block and all engine internal parts, cylinder head(s) and valve assembly, oil cooler(s), head gasket(s), manifolds, flywheel, chains/tensioner, oil pan, oil pump, exhaust manifold, turbo charger, clutch master and slave cylinders, and all related engine seals and gaskets if related to warranty repair.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

To me, most important is having the DME read, so you understand the useage of the car. If it has lots of overrevs, either I or II-but II clearly worse, I would assume abuse and walk away. Driveline failure will be an unacceptable cost.
Next, if you can trace the ownership, or buy from the original owner, confidence is enhanced. Then all the usual advice, "best you can afford", "newest you can afford" "Lowest miles" "complete records", "PPI".
But all those mean nothing if the car has lived on the rev limiter. How would you like to own the car with dozens of drag strip runs? AS
Old 03-01-2008, 10:57 AM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

More important to find the right car. You could always buy an extended warranty which many say covers more things, although I wouldn't waste the money. And don't limit yourself to an 02 when an 01 is the exact same car without a glovebox.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Breedoni
Advanced

I just had my 30K service on my '01. I bought car 1.5 years ago and it came with a CPO. The dealer replaced my clutch slave and accumulator and ALL of the components for the rear spoiler under CPO. The spoiler failed during a 7K trip last summer and only 6 months after a PPI was done. So get as much knowledge as you can + a CPO.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I woudl say that it provides great peace of mind to have the CPO...

I have only had small issues in mine. Similar to Breedoni I have had clutch slave and accumulator and ALL of the components for the rear spoiler repaired under CPO. Most recent was an Oxygen sensor that was replaced under CPO as well.

If you can find the right car AND it has CPO that would be the way to go. imho of course

Here is a link to the thread I have with the history of my car...

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum/295374-pending-projects-and-a-few-questions.html

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-01-2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

My opinion for what it's worth...

The nickel and dime items are NOT covered on the CPO warranty. There are things that you swear that should be covered.. For instance the clutch slave is covered, but the accumulator that is attached to the accumulator is NOT covered and usually the Porsche dealer will replace the slave and 2 weeks later the accumulator fails or soon after and you have to take the car in and find out that 2.5 hours of labor later and $128.00 Accumulator is added to the bill. Plus a re-bleed of 45 minutes and fluid charge additionally to your bill. So if you have a slaved replaced, please pay for a new accumululator out of your pocket..

Now a CPO will cover engine component failures such as intermediate shaft issues, vario-cam modulues, and cam followers that are failing.

I bought a '02 last year and paid the extra monies to buy a CPO'd car. Even though "I" could repair most issues that would/could come up. The $2,500 that it cost the Porsche dealer is worth the piece of mind. Porsche parts are expensive to replace. One cylinder head is $2,700.00 a turbocharger is $2,377.00
Old 03-01-2008, 10:19 PM
luke byron
Advanced

Thank you all for your responses and wisdom.

I am looking at an 02 996TT w/38k miles.

First owner 6mo.
2nd owner current since then.
Clean CarFax
No warranty left.
All service records from same dealer.
No mods.
Major service done.
$56K
Will perform ppi at dealer but no compression/leakdown.

What do you think?
Old 03-02-2008, 02:37 PM
slant911
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like a great price for what you describe. Leakdown sure would be nice but to me not MANDATORY. If they will do one for an added few hundred dollars then do it. If no leakdown then negotiate for the warranty to be thrown in
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 PM
vyper340
Pro

No CPO. Save the money for upgrades or IF something breaks (not likely)
Old 03-03-2008, 11:20 PM
Gemba
Intermediate

I went CPO
so far, after 4 months of ownership i have had alignment, headlight assy (would aim low and bounce) and a few other tweaks. The alignment was covered only because it pulled right pre-CPO and that was noted at time of sale.

As for the 100 points..i think they missed 50 of them on my car....
Old 03-03-2008, 11:29 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Depends on your use too. I bought a 5800 mile car that I'll be lucky to drive 3000 miles a year. For me, I'm willing to save the money and take my chances. If its going to be your daily driver, CPO might not be a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Would you say CPO is a must...