Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM and ABS lights coming on....??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 01:50 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PSM and ABS lights coming on....??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this car about 3 weeks ago. It's an 02 996TT X50. Twice, after driving it a bit hard, I've had the PSM and ABS lights come on in the dash.

This last time, as I came to a stopsign, the car pulled slightly to the right as thought he front right brake was grabbing. The PSM and ABS lights came on. I drove the car to the next stopsign, then turned off the igniton and restarted the car. It fired right up and the warning lights were gone. There was no irregular response from the brakes....and they stopped straight ahead with no pulling to either side. I cant' address the PSM becuause I wasn't maneuvering in such a way that the PSM would have activated.

Any suggestons? This has happened twice. If it's something that can be handled under CPO warranty, then obviously I want to get it taken care of. The problem is that it's intermittent and taking it to the dealership wont do any good unless the problem occurs where they can see it.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could be an intermittent brake light switch or a MAF going bad.
In a few rare cases there have been broken/intermittent wires in the the connector near the front shock mounts.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:16 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Get the codes read...even though the idiot lights are off...the codes will be stored and can be read by the dealer or anyone with PIWIS/PST2/Durametric.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:57 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got this car about 3 weeks ago. It's an 02 996TT X50. Twice, after driving it a bit hard, I've had the PSM and ABS lights come on in the dash.

This last time, as I came to a stopsign, the car pulled slightly to the right as thought he front right brake was grabbing. The PSM and ABS lights came on. I drove the car to the next stopsign, then turned off the igniton and restarted the car. It fired right up and the warning lights were gone. There was no irregular response from the brakes....and they stopped straight ahead with no pulling to either side. I cant' address the PSM becuause I wasn't maneuvering in such a way that the PSM would have activated.

Any suggestons? This has happened twice. If it's something that can be handled under CPO warranty, then obviously I want to get it taken care of. The problem is that it's intermittent and taking it to the dealership wont do any good unless the problem occurs where they can see it.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

No...didn't mess with anything....I also had an episode where it threw a 300 code and felt like it was running on 4 cylinders. I went to AutoZone and used their reader and it indicates..."multiple misfires" and "random cylinder misfires". The CEL stayed on for about 20 miles as I was enroute to the dealership, then it cleared, so I came back home. It almost felt like a fouled plug or one time when my other car had a bad coil....but the CEL has never come back and it runs smoothly.

Loren has a PST2....think I'll drive out to his place and see wazzzap. it's just that he's about 45 miles away. Loren...couldn't you have lived a little closer in?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:19 PM
petertobin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when mine did that (during a driver training day - had been driving hard) found that i had toasted the sensors in the pads - both the disks and pads were completely warn.
Not saying it was the track day (had done about 70,000km).... new rotors and pads etc now (big hole in wallet)
Old 10-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Chuck have you installed new plugs in your car yet?
Old 10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

misfires would indicate the spark plugs... how many miles on the car? Was it modded/flashed before-hand?

Get the codes first but the PSM/ABS lights are either the MAF, part of the misfires or the brake light switch.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I had 19K on it when I got it...the PO (dealership) said they had changed the plugs at 15K when it came in for trade in. One of the salesmen drove it till I bought it. I didn't get an actual invoice showing they had been changed and as a retired cop, I don't believe much unless I see "evidence". The incident was momentary, but it vibrated rather hard as though there were at least two cylinders not firing.

As I said, I had just left the house and got about 300 feet down the road when it did it so I stopped in the middle of the road, turned it off, back on, then backed it into the driveway and left it till the next day when I drove it to Autozone for the reader. After getting the codes, the CEL stayed on steady, but didn't flash and I was enroute to Porsche when it cleared.....that's the whole story.

You guys think I should change plugs? I can email the seller and ask again...but without evidence I can't confirm it.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Loren
Drifting

Chuck,

I think we should read the codes... before we do anything else.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Chuck you might want to invest in the Durametric software...
Old 10-26-2007, 11:03 PM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
No...didn't mess with anything....I also had an episode where it threw a 300 code and felt like it was running on 4 cylinders. I went to AutoZone and used their reader and it indicates..."multiple misfires" and "random cylinder misfires". The CEL stayed on for about 20 miles as I was enroute to the dealership, then it cleared, so I came back home. It almost felt like a fouled plug or one time when my other car had a bad coil....but the CEL has never come back and it runs smoothly.

Loren has a PST2....think I'll drive out to his place and see wazzzap. it's just that he's about 45 miles away. Loren...couldn't you have lived a little closer in?
That's similar to when I had a cracked coil-pak....except the CEL flashed when
I got close to redline....then it stopped when I backed off.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Loren: I think you're right. reading the codes would probably be a good thing to do...I got the Europipe today....do you feel like giving an old guy a hand installing one? We could read the codes then also. Have you ever installed a Europipe system? It came in a 55 pound box....I haven't opened it yet. I could use some supervision and help.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Loren
Drifting

Chuck.

I am out all day today (Saturday) but I'm available Sunday or ???
Old 10-27-2007, 07:48 PM
MK19
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck:
My Upsolute flased car did just that under hard acceleartion. They updated the code and it was fixed. I wouln't necessarily assume your car has not been flased...sellers don't always admit it.
MK

Quick Reply: PSM and ABS lights coming on....??