Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car burned today

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 11:41 AM
jcb-memphis
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could you explicitly say in a reply to this post that your insurance company feels, after a formal expert investigation was done, that either/both loose connections to the power steering fluid or an issue with the power steering fluid reservoir/pump/valve is what caused your fire and total car loss.

It would help with a lot of us getting PCNA to do the right thing. While not "legally binding", you have no reason to lie to the net, etc. Hopefully, someone at PCNA will see this (if not already monitoring this) and decide to do the only smart business thing: take care of the customer(s).

Thanks.

Jeff
Old 10-21-2007, 05:46 PM
dave1200
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Would you mind sharing details of the settlement? Did you get something approximating your cost, or that number minus extra depreciation, or the actual wholesale value of the car the moment before it caught fire? AS
All I can really say is that State Farm went above and beyond on value PLUS my upgrades. After this I will always use state farm if im able to. They paid retail excellent book value plus all my receipts.

As far as the official report. I have not seen it yet. The forensic engineer and the ins co said that it the power steering was belived to be the cause, but I havent got the report in hand. They are in the process of dismantling the car and comparing it to one that was not burned.

Here is my official statement. I was driving and heard a whining noise, then the winning got bery loud. AsI stared to pull over, smoke and flames were almost immediate. When I tried to push the clutch in, it was solid as a rock. I cut the car off, jumped out and ran like hell. In less than 3 minutes the entire car was engulfed.

I cant comment on other actions at this time. We have filed a nhtsa report, and if you have had a simliar incident, please file one with them also.

To date, I have not been contacted by the dealer or PNA or anyone representing them. I did go to the dealer to get the records for ins, but all i got were condolences, no offers of any kind.

I had to buy a daily driver.. so untill we figure out whats going on with further action, I picked up an S55 AMG to ease the pain.
Attached Images   

Last edited by dave1200; 10-21-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:35 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I still don't understand why you would sue Porsche, presumably to get them to recall the car for this issue, when you don't own it any more. Sounds like the insurance company made good on compensating you for the car. What am I missing here?
Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM
dave1200
Pro

Originally Posted by gobble
I still don't understand why you would sue Porsche, presumably to get them to recall the car for this issue, when you don't own it any more. Sounds like the insurance company made good on compensating you for the car. What am I missing here?
I never said that I was sueing PNA. The only thing I do know for sure, is that State Farm wants there money back from someone.

Also, there is more to this story than I have posted also. I dont feel it is right to air dirty laundy without the other partys having an opp to respond. So as I have said, I wont discuss futher action.

I think what others (kevin and the other gurus) are saying is, Get your freaking car checked out before it happens to you. Thats why I posted here in the first place, not to discuss litigation.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by dave1200
... Get your freaking car checked out before it happens to you. Thats why I posted here in the first place, not to discuss litigation.
And we thank you for getting the awareness on this issue raised in this forum... I had mine checked. Better safe than burned...

Glad to see this came to a happy ending for you (as far as being able to get your $ back)...

Now... the question is... what is going to replace it??
Old 10-21-2007, 07:30 PM
dave1200
Pro

Guys, After a few PM's I think I need to clarify.

My car was given the OK to drive after I heard the noise by folks at a dealer. Then it burned.

You need to INSIST that they repalce the pump and check the fittings. Dont take no for an answer. Even If they wont cover it, its worth paying to get it fixed.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gobble: It's really not an issue of him suing Porsche....it's more of an issue being pushed by the insurance company to recoup the costs of paying him off for the loss of his car. I'm sure that the insurance company has had more than one instance of fires in a Porsche....and if they can show that there's any common denominator, it's to their distinct advantage.

That in turn could result in Porsche either settling in private with the insurance company for this and potentially other losses....or a public disclosure of a potentially dangerous condition...in which case it would immediately elevate to the NTSB and become a positive thing for all Porsche owners who have this particular car or possibly others that use the same parts. This is what usually forces recalls. From a business perspective, recalls cost the parent companies millions of dollars, so they surely don't do these sorts of recalls out of the goodness of their hearts. It's all driven by the threat of fiscal liabilitiy and additional monetary losses through other individeual lawsuits or perhaps a class action suit.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

People need to read and re-read Dave's post #81

He goes into the Porsche dealership to have them check the noise... Driving home the car catches on fire... Whether the dealer will warrant this part, as David said, just get it replaced..
Old 10-21-2007, 08:47 PM
dave1200
Pro

Originally Posted by Kevin
People need to read and re-read Dave's post #81

He goes into the Porsche dealership to have them check the noise... Driving home the car catches on fire... Whether the dealer will warrant this part, as David said, just get it replaced..
Ill clarify further. I was at the Track. My steering locked up on me, then released and whined (it was intermitten). I came into the pit area. The mechanic from the dealer looked the car over ( who was there at the track) and instucted me to drive it in so they can replace the pump sometime on the next day or so. I asked about towing and was assured it would not be an issue, and was ok to drive. I was told to specifily NOT tow the car. Then it burned on the way out halfway home.

So almost as Kevin stated, but just wanted to be clear. And Yes, my ins co knows the WHOLE story, track and all.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:54 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

This must have been at Kershaw - I was supposed to go to this event, but my wife gave birth early on the 24th and I couldn't make it.

Just for clarity, is this power steering problem unique to the 996 Turbo, or could any 996 have this problem? I did see the notice above, which states 2003 Turbo, but just want to make sure if anybody knows.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 PM
gobble
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Why does this only affect the 2003 model?

You didn't just lose the power assist? It actually locked up? Thats scary.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:22 PM
dave1200
Pro

Originally Posted by gobble
Why does this only affect the 2003 model?

You didn't just lost the power assist? It actually locked up? Thats scary.
Yeah, it locked (or at least felt like it did, got stiff)) then released. It could have been the jerk or snap back to center when the power assist went. I was at the apex of turn 12 at CMP when it went.

It caused me to spin into a drift. I never left the track and recovered and came in.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:28 PM
04s4_nc
Intermediate

I had the same problem in my 02 and the dealer replaced under warranty. Glad the ins company is taking care of you. Good to hear you are safe and no one was hurt.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:43 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Dave,
I think your answer is what I was looking for. I think this thread is unique in the sense that it plainly tells of a lurking danger, documents the mechanical and the legal outcome, and puts Porsche on notice for other owners. Thanks, and good luck with your next ride. AS
Old 10-25-2007, 04:32 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i remember following a similar chain of events for the 1995 993's that started as a TSB and ended in a recall. In many ways it was a similar situation. The wiring harness had a plastic connector that was not compatible with the wiring. It tended to erode and ultimately caused fires in several 993's. It took Porsche quite a while (too long in my opinion) to issue a recall!

For what it's worth, i also well understand the financials of a recall. They are incredibly costly & it is unfortunate but sometimes it is cheaper to pay out a couple of insurance claims than issue a recall. But when cars catch on fire, you are involving life not just numbers. I hope Porsche learned its lesson on the 1995 993. Don't wait too long, bean counting is a profession and sound business decisions should be made, but not at the expense of people's lives!

Cheers,
Boris

Quick Reply: My car burned today