Got my car chipped

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 11:43 AM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George@Revo Technik
The graph above is at the wheels.
So far this is what I have gleaned based upon published numbers for a stock 996tt:
  • George@Revo Technik shows (if I read the posted graph correctly) ~ +90 hp ~ +140ftlbs increase at the rear wheels.
  • GIAC claims between +40 to +75hp with +75 to +80ftlbs (not known if this is rear wheel)
  • Upsolute claims +90hp and +75ftlbs (not known if this is rear wheel)
Old 01-17-2007, 11:33 AM
markporsche
Intermediate

So has anyone heard of any warranty issues with GIAC Software?

AWE Tuning who does this upgrade via port is located 5 minutes from my office.

I am very tempted...Just want to be sure the mission produces worthwhile results that don't kill me later when on my first service visit they notice something has been changed.

Any Advice?
Old 01-17-2007, 12:18 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

First advice...if you are really worried about warranty, you should not do the ECU upgrade. Most if not all of them can be detected regardless of their claims (although I must admit there are quite a few P-stealers that can't tell). Second, If you can get programming that YOU/or a nearby indy can switch (flash) that is your best bet. GIAC has a switcher and (my favorite) Kevin at UMW has a programmer that actually stores the different programs (including stock). But the gains are amazing...by far the best bang for the buck in terms of HP. You should be happy with AWE (ask about their ability/charge for flashing back to stock).
Old 01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
Mr Powell
AutoX

Newbie to the site and the Porsche world, and I will make my introduction thread here either tonight or tomorrow. I have been reading about all the chips and tell me if I'm looking at this wrong.

Kevin's - Programmer with 3 tunes (can hold 8) and flashes through OBD Port - $2000?
GIAC - Has the ability to have a flasher, but is usually sent to them or you goto their shop and have the programming done? Not sure about this one - $2000
Upsolute - Remove PCM and have a chip soldered in to it - $800
Revo Technik - Don't really know to much, but I'm guessing it's like GIAC or Kevin's - $2000?

I know there are many others, but I don't know about all of them. I honestly would prefer to spend the extra money and get the programmer because I can always have the option to remove the tune before I take it anywhere. I can see how the Upsolute is a good deal because it is one of the best bangs for the buck, but removing the PCM and having something soldered in is to much for me. Plus I'm in Houston and it's going to be a few days downtime for me.

I think if I do get a tune it will be Kevin's or Revo (if they do offer a flash loader).
Old 01-17-2007, 01:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Mark and Mr Powell please PM me with contact numbers and lets talk about all these issues..

I'm going to be very blunt here folks.. All the other tuners that have been mentioned in this thread are manipulating the factory code. Anotherwords I can see the program in the ECU code. So can Porsche or the dealer with the PIWIS tester.. My system will use the factory Bosch protocol and will flash in and out the program. The systems mentioned are adding code to the base file. I am storing the additional programs which will include your stock program in my programmer that you own, retain, and keep. I don't need to see your ECU , I don't need to see your car. It's all done similar to Porsche/factory with file updates. Everything is done remotely.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:38 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Mark and Mr Powell please PM me with contact numbers and lets talk about all these issues..

I'm going to be very blunt here folks.. All the other tuners that have been mentioned in this thread are manipulating the factory code. Anotherwords I can see the program in the ECU code. So can Porsche or the dealer with the PIWIS tester.. My system will use the factory Bosch protocol and will flash in and out the program. The systems mentioned are adding code to the base file. I am storing the additional programs which will include your stock program in my programmer that you own, retain, and keep. I don't need to see your ECU , I don't need to see your car. It's all done similar to Porsche/factory with file updates. Everything is done remotely.
That is the response I was looking for.
Kevin..I still have your number from our email. Not ignoring you, just got other things in the works right now. I'll be talking to you.
Dennis
Old 01-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

Dennis, I have 8" on the ground, and it's finally warming up 38 degrees.. And I'm sick.. I can wait for your PM..
Old 01-17-2007, 03:13 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kevin
Dennis, I have 8" on the ground, and it's finally warming up 38 degrees.. And I'm sick.. I can wait for your PM..
Same here minus the sick part.
We live on a hill, and no one with any sense is doing anything but drinking coffee and enjoying the view.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Shark
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
GIAC - Has the ability to have a flasher, but is usually sent to them or you goto their shop and have the programming done? Not sure about this one - $2000

Plus I'm in Houston and it's going to be a few days downtime for me.

I think if I do get a tune it will be Kevin's or Revo (if they do offer a flash loader).
There is a GIAC dealer here in beautiful iced-up Houston that can do it while you wait (Autodynamica - Luis Galan). Plus, if you have any issues he can see your car to help diagnose......big time advantage.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
04s4_nc
Intermediate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Upsolute is a flash. No soldering involved anymore.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Shift-Tech
Maby it has something to do with paying apx. $ 1200 more and getting basicly the same result.
GREAT POINT
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by 04s4_nc
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Upsolute is a flash. No soldering involved anymore.
I had mine done a couple of months ago, and they do take out the chip upload the information and reinstall the same chip with the new programming in it. I saw the desoldering tool they use, it is a bosch 44 pin desoldering tool, it fits only over the 44 pins that need to be unsoldered. They told me they had a plug in flash but it was $2000. Like i said before I have not had any lights come on and I am very happy with the performance from this upgrade. I only paid $600 for my upgrade so I'm even happier in my eyes thats $1400 down for a new exhaust.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:32 PM
04s4_nc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Turbo Mike
I had mine done a couple of months ago, and they do take out the chip upload the information and reinstall the same chip with the new programming in it. I saw the desoldering tool they use, it is a bosch 44 pin desoldering tool, it fits only over the 44 pins that need to be unsoldered. They told me they had a plug in flash but it was $2000. Like i said before I have not had any lights come on and I am very happy with the performance from this upgrade. I only paid $600 for my upgrade so I'm even happier in my eyes thats $1400 down for a new exhaust.
Yeah, I think I'm leaning towards the route your going.
Old 01-19-2007, 10:12 PM
est8esq
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm just a dumb lawyer and can't seem to grasp half of what everyone is saying.
All I know is that I just paid a local Porsche Technician to stop by my home and take my ECU out. Apparently, in the 2005 Cab TTS, the last screw is really tough to get at. I watched this guy take about 15 different snub nose philips head screwdrivers out of his portable tool box/van until he was finally able to take out the damn ECU. I just packaged it up and sent it out to my local Upsolute rep, here in Ohio.

I don't know if I made a mistake or not as we have snow on the ground and won't be taking my car out of the garage until late March, perhaps April. In the meantime, all these threads are making me confused. All I care about is that I get more horsepower and don't get charged an arm and a leg for simply being a TT owner.

I guess I'll keep you posted. BTW, I just purchased a boatload of body parts, ie, GT2 spoiler, RUF front spoiler, techart sideskirt and rear diffusers. Will let you know how it looks once installed.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Turbo Mike
Instructor

Originally Posted by est8esq
I'm just a dumb lawyer and can't seem to grasp half of what everyone is saying.
All I know is that I just paid a local Porsche Technician to stop by my home and take my ECU out. Apparently, in the 2005 Cab TTS, the last screw is really tough to get at. I watched this guy take about 15 different snub nose philips head screwdrivers out of his portable tool box/van until he was finally able to take out the damn ECU. I just packaged it up and sent it out to my local Upsolute rep, here in Ohio.

I don't know if I made a mistake or not as we have snow on the ground and won't be taking my car out of the garage until late March, perhaps April. In the meantime, all these threads are making me confused. All I care about is that I get more horsepower and don't get charged an arm and a leg for simply being a TT owner.

I guess I'll keep you posted. BTW, I just purchased a boatload of body parts, ie, GT2 spoiler, RUF front spoiler, techart sideskirt and rear diffusers. Will let you know how it looks once installed.
Let the mod's begin

Quick Reply: Got my car chipped