Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo crash

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Pete.
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Carlos:
I dont think there is an insurance company in the USA that will pay a claim if you tell them you were on a race track testing the limits of your car & your ability.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">There are many insurance companies that cover cars at DEs.

If nothing else, maybe you'll take that basic fact away from this thread.

Given your posting history though, I highly doubt it.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:52 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
PETE: I just called my insurance agent state farm and asked him to look into my coverage so I can go racing this weekend. He flat said racing on a race track? I said yes guess what he said? Hell no you are not covered period. I told him to send me in writing the reason why I'm not covered. I will forward his comments once I get them in hand.

Curious George
Old 01-16-2003, 01:57 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<strong>PETE: I just called my insurance agent state farm and asked him to look into my coverage so I can go racing this weekend. He flat said racing on a race track? I said yes guess what he said hell no you are not covered period. I told him to send me in writing the reason why I'm not covered. I will forward his comments once I get them in hand.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Duh! Did you ask him about open track events or drivers ed events? There's a big difference! I don't understand how people can't differentiate between racing and drivers ed events.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:59 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by George 911-V8:
<strong>PETE: I just called my insurance agent state farm and asked him to look into my coverage so I can go racing this weekend. He flat said racing on a race track? I said yes guess what he said? Hell no you are not covered period. I told him to send me in writing the reason why I'm not covered. I will forward his comments once I get them in hand.

Curious George</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">DE is not racing, it's drivers education and I can hardly think of a safer place to practice driving than on a closed circuit.

So I guess your insurance agent might be right in this case.

If you rephrase the question I bet you'll get a different answer.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:02 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
STEVE: I sure did tell him it was a track event and a drivers ed. He said the minute the car goes to a race track and you put on a race helmet your on your own. He did say be careful I hope you win the race. He also received a e-mail of the post so he could understand fully what I was talking about.

Curious George
Old 01-16-2003, 02:03 PM
Carlos
Banned

Pete, I called a long time friend who is a multi-line insurance agent. I explained the DE situation and asked if he had anybody who would write a policy. He said absoloutly I could get DE coverage. Wanna guess from whom? Lloyd of London. His cost estimate for a $50,000 vehicle, $5,000 per event. So these guys are all covered? No fraud? I was born at night, just not last night. So basicly I dont believe your "fact," which isnt a fact at all untill you do more than just proclaim that "There are many insurance companies that cover cars at DEs"
Take that away from this thread.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:09 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure glad to be able to have insurance while driving on a track.

And it is nothing extra, just the normal insurance price.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
x-50speeder
Instructor

Hey,

Why can't we all just get along!

S.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

<strong>He did say be careful I hope you win the race. He also received a e-mail of the post so he could understand fully what I was talking about.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Obviously by that comment, he didn't fully comprehend what you were telling him.

As a single example, Progressive insurance covers drivers ed events. The policy does exclude any sort of timed events, thus requiring them to be 'drivers ed' events and not time trials.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:23 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

FYI, in <a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/cgi-bin/rennforums/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000625#000000" target="_blank">this</a> thread it says that State Farm specifically insures DE events. Also, one poster said that they would cover non-medical costs in a single "AutoX, drag racing, road/track racing, TSD Rally, etc" incident, and would then drop the policy. I suppose that could serve as a low cost worst case scenario insurance policy on a racecar.

If you search in the 'Racing & Drivers Education Forum' with the term 'insurance' you will find a number of threads related to this issue.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:35 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

STEVE: In the state of louisiana as of 1-16-3 state farm said NO WAY. Carlos also said in the state of tennesse unless you have a LLD policy NO WAY. I don't care what the search says in the real world as of today thats my information on this topic.

Curious George
Old 01-16-2003, 02:46 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

<strong>STEVE: In the state of louisiana as of 1-16-3 state farm said NO WAY. Carlos also said in the state of tennesse unless you have a LLD policy NO WAY. I don't care what the search says in the real world as of today thats my information on this topic.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">I'm sure insurance is available from other specialty companies for Louisiana residents. Are there any road courses in Louisiana?

Thank god there are five road courses within four hours of me and two that are nearly an hour away
Old 01-16-2003, 02:53 PM
George 911-V8
Pro

STEVE: We have a pca roadcoarse only 45 minutes outside of new orleans no problem raceway. We are only 5 hours away from road atlanta and 6 hours from texas motorplex.

Curious George
Old 01-16-2003, 03:22 PM
Pete.
Banned

<strong>STEVE: I sure did tell him it was a track event and a drivers ed. He said the minute the car goes to a race track and you put on a race helmet your on your own. He did say be careful I hope you win the race. He also received a e-mail of the post so he could understand fully what I was talking about.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">GEORGE: If you're interested in doing a DE (it's obvious that you're not) then get another insurance company.

As I have written, there are many that insure cars during DEs.

The fact that yours doesn't cover you (pretty smart actually), doesn't mean that there aren't insurance companies that do.

Like Carlos, hopefully you'll learn something from this thread.

Whether that will stop you from making inaccurate claims is another subject.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:29 PM
Pete.
Banned

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Originally posted by Carlos:
<strong>So basicly I dont believe your "fact," which isnt a fact at all untill you do more than just proclaim that "There are many insurance companies that cover cars at DEs"
Take that away from this thread.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva">Carlos, you are totally misinformed about the insurance issue. Please read the rest of the thread and have someone help you with the "search" function on this board.

It is a simple fact that many insurance companies cover you during DEs.

You can also search funcarsonline, PPBB or even use Google to find that your limited experience (calling a broker) doesn't disprove that there are many insurance companies which cover stret cars at DEs under their normal policies.

Good luck in your search for understanding!

p.s. FWIW, USAA covers folks at DEs in many States.

Quick Reply: Turbo crash