Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pending projects and a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009 | 06:39 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Darn Jaime you have passed me up at "only" 66K miles. I havent had any more problems since the alternator died at 63K. My CPO ran out Dec 26 so I guess anymore repairs will be in my garage
Old 01-16-2009 | 06:47 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by jimq
Darn Jaime you have passed me up at "only" 66K miles. I havent had any more problems since the alternator died at 63K. My CPO ran out Dec 26 so I guess anymore repairs will be in my garage
It is those trips to Miami... company would pay for air travel, but I just can't resist taking the car for such a nice long drive Better maximize the enjoyment on the depreciation

Have a great weekend!

PS - 24 of Jan at my place? Helping Ron with the brakes. Let me know.
Old 01-17-2009 | 10:36 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Your car is looking great!. Good thing you didn't have Samco hoses in place like me. Took 2 months to get the new snorkel sorted out since a new mold had to be made. I like the look of the tint on your windows.
Old 01-17-2009 | 12:01 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
It is those trips to Miami... company would pay for air travel, but I just can't resist taking the car for such a nice long drive Better maximize the enjoyment on the depreciation

Have a great weekend!

PS - 24 of Jan at my place? Helping Ron with the brakes. Let me know.
YeaI know about those drives to Miami. I got a blood clot in my leg on my last drive down there
We started to do his brakes at my house last weekend but he ended up just cleaning the wheels and wheel wells. He only had the rear disc and his front ones are also totally shot. He has the stuck on hats on the shoes and I couldnt find my tool to unstick them. I was hesitant about changing the brake lines knowing how stuck mine were. I decided not to go to the Rolex since it starts so late in the afternoon so may come watch youall instead ! I will PM you later this week.
Old 01-17-2009 | 02:23 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Question

Originally Posted by Land Jet
Your car is looking great!. Good thing you didn't have Samco hoses in place like me. Took 2 months to get the new snorkel sorted out since a new mold had to be made. I like the look of the tint on your windows.
What I have will not work with the Samco hoses?? Please elaborate...
Old 01-18-2009 | 01:47 PM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

The Samco hoses have a higher arch to them and stick up higher. They were keeping my engine lid open about an inch with the original snorkel. To close the lid meant slamming shut and causing the hose to deform. Dan now has the new mold so if you upgrade hoses, you can just get the new snorkel. The new one fits the Samcos fine.
Old 03-02-2009 | 02:14 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I never looked into iPod adapters thinking those were not available for the CDR-220... came across a thread in the 993 section today and then searched this forum. Sure enough, there is one.

Order placed today: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993
Old 03-02-2009 | 02:21 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

PIE makes pretty good stuff. They've been doing it for a while now.
Not having MOST (plastic optical fiber) in the car makes it much easier IMHO.
Old 03-04-2009 | 12:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

I have assigned 'sticky' status to Jaime's excellent thread on the 996TT.
It is perhaps the most comprehensive single thread discussing almost all the issues that a 996TT owner might ask.
Hopefully people will come to the forum and see/read the thread before posting questions that have already been addressed.

Thanks Jaime.
Old 03-04-2009 | 05:54 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by ltc
I have assigned 'sticky' status to Jaime's excellent thread on the 996TT.
It is perhaps the most comprehensive single thread discussing almost all the issues that a 996TT owner might ask.
Hopefully people will come to the forum and see/read the thread before posting questions that have already been addressed.

Thanks Jaime.
Thank you!! I will go over the thread and clean it up a bit. I will also add the links to the detailed threads (in the first post) of the stuff done and review any missing photos of stuff that might be incomplete in those threads.

Thank you again... big responsibility
Old 03-04-2009 | 11:51 PM
BMo
Instructor

Dude, an awesome thread and awesome documentation of your beautiful car and your journey. Thanks for sharing!
Old 03-06-2009 | 04:02 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

iPod adapter installed to the CDR-220

You can get it from several places. I got mine from here: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=993

Pull the radio out using the blades

Plug the blue plug, from the iPod adapter, to where the CD changer connects to (if you have a CD changer you will have to decide between one or the other...

I used the ground (brown cable) and + (red with black stripe cable) from the radio to provide juice to the iPod. Quick cut to the shield, solder the adapter wires, some tape, and you have juice. Instructions suggest a switched source to avoid leaving the iPod charging and wasting your battery... I might do that later, but for now I just wanted to keep the ipod charged all the time, plus I plug my car to a battery tender when parked at home.

Route the cable to where you want it... there is space in the back of the radio to route the cable and plug... I need to decide where it will finally rest. Most likely inside the center console.

You need to activate the AUX function in the radio. How to active the "AUX" on Porsche radios with "PT" button (i.e CDR-220)?
1. Turn radio ON Press and hold the "PT" button for about 8 seconds until Becker 1 is displayed. Turn the Tuning **** until AUX OFF is displayed. Press either button located directly under the Arrows on the display to change the present setting from OFF to ON. Turn radio OFF. Auxiliary Audio Input has now been activated.

Connect your iPod (do not make fun of my brick!! everyone gets the new stuff at home and I end up with whatever is left behind!! )

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-09-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-09-2009 | 04:30 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Glove box handle fixed.

Best way to get to the bolts is to disengage it from the two shocks:

Using a T-10 tip remove the bolts (5 inside) 3 on each side

What it looks like underneath when you remove the leather cover that holds the handle:

The broken handle:

Remove the two bolts holding the handle with a T-20 tip:

Install new one... install, as they say, is the reverse of disassembly...

Old 03-09-2009 | 04:46 PM
manny_g
Burning Brakes

hey jaime..can you use this ipod adapter cable on cars equipt with MOST? my radio model # is cd 25 and it has a pt button.
Old 03-09-2009 | 04:57 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by manny_g
hey jaime..can you use this ipod adapter cable on cars equipt with MOST? my radio model # is cd 25 and it has a pt button.
Manny, I think that the only option you have is the expensive route... Dension, Dice, etc...

Edit - CDR-23, correct?? Can't find any reference to a type 25.

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Pending projects and a few questions