Sponsored by:

996TT Vs Supra TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 12:14 PM
WCW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 996TT Vs Supra TT

I have been following this message board since placing my order for a 996TT last January. I have noticed that many of you have owned a Supra TT which is the car that I will replace with the Porsche. I did have an opportunity to take a short test drive in the 996 prior to ordering [delivery now set for July] but I would appreciate any imput as far as a comparison and what to expect. I could keep the Supra. This will be my first Porsche.

I've enjoyed all the great info all of you have shared to date.

Thanks, Wade
Old 05-29-2002, 12:37 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
off topic, are you planning on selling your supra? may i ask how much and some details on it?

thanks in advance
Old 05-29-2002, 12:38 PM
WCW
Intermediate

By the way, the Supra is stock and an auto. The 996 will have a 6-speed. Thanks. WCW
Old 05-29-2002, 01:05 PM
WCW
Intermediate

Scott, check your email. Yes it is for sale currently. Wade
Old 05-29-2002, 03:36 PM
badkarma
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by WCW:
<strong>I have been following this message board since placing my order for a 996TT last January. I have noticed that many of you have owned a Supra TT which is the car that I will replace with the Porsche. I did have an opportunity to take a short test drive in the 996 prior to ordering [delivery now set for July] but I would appreciate any imput as far as a comparison and what to expect. I could keep the Supra. This will be my first Porsche.

Thanks, Wade</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think you can compare a stock mkiv to a stock 996tt. They're completely different animals and the porsche has an extra 120flywheel hp and 4wd to boot. I say this since your supra is stock. A fairly decent comparison can only be made with a bpu supra NOT running crazy boost and upgraded brakes and suspension.
Old 05-29-2002, 09:08 PM
Zach Pruett
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by WCW:
<strong>I have been following this message board since placing my order for a 996TT last January. I have noticed that many of you have owned a Supra TT which is the car that I will replace with the Porsche. I did have an opportunity to take a short test drive in the 996 prior to ordering [delivery now set for July] but I would appreciate any imput as far as a comparison and what to expect. I could keep the Supra. This will be my first Porsche.

Thanks, Wade</strong><hr></blockquote>

As far as potential and reliability goes you can not beat the Supra. Put a single turbo and fuel system on there and nothing can touch you.
Old 05-30-2002, 01:00 AM
Frosty
Intermediate

[quote]Originally posted by Zach Pruett:
<strong>

As far as potential and reliability goes you can not beat the Supra. Put a single turbo and fuel system on there and nothing can touch you.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Haha, close to it. But the Ruf would put up a good fight. Don't forget the weight difference in the two cars.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:03 AM
Shank996TT
Racer

I have both...a 700plus HP supra and a 600HP Porsche under way, and I can tell you that the supra is the fastest car I've driven, however I don't think it will beat my Porsche on the highway. Single turbo supras have lag and the porsche pulls like its naturally aspirated, with minimal or non existant lag. This in concert with gearing, the porsche would be stronger in every gear. As far as dragging, the supra would win with with slicks. On a road course, forget it...the supra is no match for the porsche...even if its tuned for road racing. Single turbo with major lag would fall behind in the track.

I've seen supras upto and over 1000HP on built motors, but even at 800plus...What good is all that horsepower if you can't lay it down. Its good for the 1/4 mile with slicks, useless HP on the street. And for those supra radicals out there who feel for 50k you can beat a stock 996turbo.....well you can say the same thing about a 800HP dodge colt!

I, however do love supras because you can get major power, with stock heads/block/tranny/rear, etc.., but it is no competition overall to the Porsche turbo.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:50 AM
WCW
Intermediate

Thanks for the input guys. Was looking to get some feedback from those who have owned both and a comparison of performance, handling, reliability etc. The Supra has been an excellent car but I have always wanted to own a Porsche.

I think I will just keep the Supra as it may become the next classic muscle car for this generation and has retained it's value well. It'll look good next to the new 996TT!

Thanks, Wade
Old 05-30-2002, 12:11 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well none drive fast for hours with a supra or another japanese car at the German Autobahn. ALL of them blow sooner or later. It is not cruising at 200 km/h it is braking to 100 km/h and accelarating to 300 km/h and brake again (because of slower cars and trucks).
none of the Supra an other will last over 400 hp.
There is no other car except Porsche that can drive for hours at high load without Problems.
even teh japanese team with their full arce supra and 200 HP more than the Gt3 stay behind them on teh race track at Nurburgring.
I will be there this weekend for the 24 H race and will see how the japanese performs this time. This time they bought a very good German driver and hope that they will do weel. It is their third time and teh first tow time you couls see that an almost stock HP Porsche was much faster than the high Powered jap cars.
I want to see if the so called 1000 HP cars would last more than one lap at Nurburgring.
all these car have their limit at about 400 HP. Brakes, clutch, tranny etc do not last more than that it doesn't matter what they say. If tehy can do that they must prove it.
Lats year a japanese team cam in Geramny with their 800 HP Nissan (I think) and wnated to brake teh record on the Autobahn. Well the 600 HP Porsche was faster running only 50% boost of the Jap. car.

everybody can build a car with high HP but how long would this last?

Konstantin
Old 05-30-2002, 04:57 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Konstantin:
<strong>well none drive fast for hours with a supra or another japanese car at the German Autobahn. ALL of them blow sooner or later. It is not cruising at 200 km/h it is braking to 100 km/h and accelarating to 300 km/h and brake again (because of slower cars and trucks).
none of the Supra an other will last over 400 hp.
There is no other car except Porsche that can drive for hours at high load without Problems.
even teh japanese team with their full arce supra and 200 HP more than the Gt3 stay behind them on teh race track at Nurburgring.
I will be there this weekend for the 24 H race and will see how the japanese performs this time. This time they bought a very good German driver and hope that they will do weel. It is their third time and teh first tow time you couls see that an almost stock HP Porsche was much faster than the high Powered jap cars.
I want to see if the so called 1000 HP cars would last more than one lap at Nurburgring.
all these car have their limit at about 400 HP. Brakes, clutch, tranny etc do not last more than that it doesn't matter what they say. If tehy can do that they must prove it.
Lats year a japanese team cam in Geramny with their 800 HP Nissan (I think) and wnated to brake teh record on the Autobahn. Well the 600 HP Porsche was faster running only 50% boost of the Jap. car.

everybody can build a car with high HP but how long would this last?

Konstantin</strong><hr></blockquote>

do you really have any idea what you are talking about?
Old 05-30-2002, 05:41 PM
Zach Pruett
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by soon2be993TT:
<strong>

do you really have any idea what you are talking about?</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, he does not.
Old 05-30-2002, 05:45 PM
Zach Pruett
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by Shank996TT:
<strong>I have both...a 700plus HP supra and a 600HP Porsche under way, and I can tell you that the supra is the fastest car I've driven, however I don't think it will beat my Porsche on the highway. Single turbo supras have lag and the porsche pulls like its naturally aspirated, with minimal or non existant lag. This in concert with gearing, the porsche would be stronger in every gear. As far as dragging, the supra would win with with slicks. On a road course, forget it...the supra is no match for the porsche...even if its tuned for road racing. Single turbo with major lag would fall behind in the track.

I've seen supras upto and over 1000HP on built motors, but even at 800plus...What good is all that horsepower if you can't lay it down. Its good for the 1/4 mile with slicks, useless HP on the street. And for those supra radicals out there who feel for 50k you can beat a stock 996turbo.....well you can say the same thing about a 800HP dodge colt!

I, however do love supras because you can get major power, with stock heads/block/tranny/rear, etc.., but it is no competition overall to the Porsche turbo.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your Supra or mine would leave your 911 hard. I am a Porsche guy at heart and always will be but you can't argue with the pure power output that the Supra has. The stock motor will last 60k+ miles pushing 800hp, there is no Porsche on earth that will do that. A race with your 911 on the freeway would get uglier the longer you went.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:27 PM
Zach Pruett
Advanced

[quote]Originally posted by cjv:
<strong>How do you get 800 hp to the asphalt with 275mm tires? What is your maxium foot pounds of torque? What size disc brakes front and rear are your running? What type of suspension are you running?</strong><hr></blockquote>
Modulating the throttle. I have around 650 foot lbs to the wheels. I am running 12.8 inch rotors in front and 12.6 in back with a stock suspension.
Old 05-30-2002, 07:51 PM
Konstantin
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry guys but this get childish!
ther eis no supra or whatever that can last more than 5 min full boost on the German Autobahn! period
better ask all these guy from Holand, switzerland or other countried that tried. EVERY car over 400 HP blew up.

Even the ful race falcon Team that came from Japan last year turned the boost doen to 550 HP in order not to damage the car.
believe it or not. there is no other car that last long full boost runs.
this is not just my opinion. this is the true. At leats I never saw or heard of other cars that last for long time with high boosts. Maybe you are all dreaming for high HP and I do not doubt that you can make 800 HP but for how long?
ahve you took the car for a 1 hor race or along run. I am talking about 200 to 300 km/h runs not just once on the dyno.
The 800 Hp will last in the USA because you use them just for sec and not very often. How often do you drive over 300 km/h?

do that some times and then you will see what i mean.
There in no other road like teh German Autobahn. Only here you can see if you car is realy fast and if it last long.
Maybe you think I am wrong but untill somebody prove the oposite you must accept that ALL jap cars blows on the Autobahn. None of them with over 400 HP last more than a couple of min accelarating and braking.
Maybe the cars in the USA are better than the one we have here (even if teh guys use the same parts since they import them from the USA or Japan ) but the jap cars here do not last.

If you have an example show this. i am not talking for 10 sec "races". I am talking about min or hours realy high speed driving at high boost
BTW don't arguy about there is no Porsche on earth that can make 800 Hp etc.
The fastest car on earth with less than 800 HP made 404 km/h on the road. strange that all these high HP jap mashines never exceed the 320 km/h

we don't care about HP number it is the time that shows how fast the car is.
give me some times from 60 to 190 mph or what ever you like and I can saw you how fast the supra is.
make by your self some runs from 60 to 100 mph or to what ever you like and tell us the time. This is what counts not the HP
no later than tomorow I will see if the supra with 200 more Hp in full race trim is afster than a almost stock GT3 with only 30 Hp more than the street car.
we are talking about 400 hp vs 600 Supra HP. the lap time will tell this

do understand me wrong. they are great cars but all the hype about 800 HP is not worth because these HPs can not be used for long. The cars, trany engine etc will brake. Maybe it last for some runs in the US roads but here it will brake. This was the case with EVEWRY high HP jap. car till now. Maybe in the future this will change but we will see that.

have a nice day.

Konstantin

Quick Reply: 996TT Vs Supra TT