Sponsored by:

Best Turbo Swap for the 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 08:33 PM
W.O.T. Freak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Turbo Swap for the 996TT

I am about to change my C2 for a 2001 996 TT, and was wondering which is the best set up on the market considering power and yet good driveability.
I 've seen some people talk about K24/26 hybrids, and also some garret mods.
The idea is to get over 600 Hps on the flywheel. Any ideas?

Thanks in advace.

Regards
WOT
Old 08-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts

Best street turbochargers are the Stage 1's or K16/24's My Stage 2's will get you 600 HP.. but you need the ECU programmed..
Old 08-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Denstoyz
Advanced

I like my set up very much! Check out my sig - Imagine Auto did me very well!
Old 08-05-2005, 12:43 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kevin can you compare the power, lag, part throttle boost at lower RPM's, etc., of the K16/24 vs. your standard stage 2? Are there any good inexpensive programs for the K16/24's?
Old 08-05-2005, 12:44 AM
W.O.T. Freak
Advanced

Kevin

What would be stage 2? Which programing do you recommend ?

Are K24s good as OEM?

Best Regards
WOT
Old 08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The hybrids spool like the K16s, but push like the K24s. The program you would need for this is at least a level 3. Drop me a call or email if you would like and I can explain.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:56 AM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes yes yes! Do a hyrbid K16/K24 so that you have the power of a K24 but the spool of a K16. Been there, done it and run low 11s to prove it Very good set up indeed!
Old 08-05-2005, 02:35 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

ebaker, if you do searches about the Stage 2 on the 993TT forum, you will find that with the CNC work that I do to the turbochargers and porting and and with the wategate mods,,, you basically have little to no lag and almost instant boost.. The problem with the Stage 2's in a 996TT is that the cheaper programs out there cannot fool the MAF signal and the readings are over the values stored in the maps.. The ECU will allow 1.4 bars and 1.5 bars and the throttle-body snaps shut.. If you run 1.35 bars in one car, you can only run 1.2bars in another car. However, with the cheaper programs if you run and dial the wastegates in to just under 1.2 bars it will sometimes spike at 1.3bars and everything will be fine.. However, it is at great cost and precision adjustment on the turbochargers.. You will either pay for the upper end programming or pay with your time laying on your back adjusting the wastegates.. I have known a few customers that have done it 5 times..

This month I will be bringing out the programming group buy for the 993TT boys and next month I have something planned for you guys.. Turbo's and programming.. It is safe to say the turbochargers will be larger than K24's and/or K16/24's.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:46 AM
ebaker
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I want to be "conservative" and limit my boost to 1.2 bar max is there any issue with the cheaper programs? If I limit the boost to 1.1 - 1.2 bar is there any advantage in the bigger Stage 2 vs. the smaller K16/24 (other than cheaper software?)
My understanding of how the 996TT works is that the wastegates are set to open at 0.5 bar. The boost is higher because the ECU controlls a duty solenoid that reduces the boost pressure being sent to the wastegate actuators. Is this correct? Does it still work this way with the aftermarket programs?

Last edited by ebaker; 08-05-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

ebaker
Just my opinion, but I would not try to save on programming, it would be the other way around, a good programming will make night and day difference. If GIAC is too expensive, look for another alternative , but not a "quick fix " one. Ideally you would look for a tuner who has experience and maps for the specific turbos you are using and exhaust setup. If not GIAC, I am sure Kevin can direct you to a good source as he knows who he is selling to. A lousy 1.2 Bar program can be like a good 0.9 Bar program, it is about balancing the right octane to timing to AFRs etc..not how much boost you run.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:41 PM
sharkster
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 85 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
ebaker
Just my opinion, but I would not try to save on programming, it would be the other way around, a good programming will make night and day difference. If GIAC is too expensive, look for another alternative , but not a "quick fix " one. Ideally you would look for a tuner who has experience and maps for the specific turbos you are using and exhaust setup. If not GIAC, I am sure Kevin can direct you to a good source as he knows who he is selling to. A lousy 1.2 Bar program can be like a good 0.9 Bar program, it is about balancing the right octane to timing to AFRs etc..not how much boost you run.
You are exactly right. You can have all the great hardware in the world but if you don't have a good match in terms of software (albeit expensive etc..) you won't make proper use of it. A long time ago, I was in that boat. I had some great turbos from kevin but the software was too basic to support 'em. One thing about the Garrett's stuff is he really does fine tune for all kinds of different turbos, exhausts and so on.... If you're going to throw power at a car try not to skimp on software. Find out from the turbo builder (in this case Kevin) what works best for you car and try to do that as much as possible. Running higher boost but with, super rich AFR's, fouled plugs, CELs and boost cuts can be miserable instead of fun...
Old 08-06-2005, 07:30 PM
Orli930
Advanced

Talk to Steve from Imagine Auto. He performed the work on my car. Last time I dynoed my car it produced 553 rwhp which is over 600 to the flywheel.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:31 PM
W.O.T. Freak
Advanced

Well
Thanks for all the info. Have you ever considered using k24/k26 hybrids.? the 9f car seens to be strong with them.
What about Unichip? I have heard good results with the custom programing .

Best Regards

WOT
Old 08-06-2005, 11:16 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unichip is no longer in the Porsche Market. There are programs for these turbos.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:36 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

ebaker, the one situation that you are forgetting is, there is pressure from the exhaust that is actually pushing the wastegate door open.. So you really don't need alot of pressure from the frequency valve to open the gates.. Now the larger the gates the sooner the gates will actually open up from being pushed open.. That is a double problem with K24's.. First they need all the help that they can get to get on boost, then the gates are being pushed open due to the larger size of the gates..

Another thing.. The .5bar measurement that you mentioned is just a reference, infact the gates have already started to open up prior to .5bars. The frequency valve might have 1bar of pressure upstream, but it might only be allowing .4bars and the gates will just start opening.

Quick Reply: Best Turbo Swap for the 996TT