Sponsored by:

Pinning the lines

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 09:43 PM
racer959
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by k9turbo

at 169k miles with no issues. i ain't pinning sh*t. but i do keep a couple packages of jb weld around..

Old 06-15-2020, 10:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,657 Posts

Originally Posted by blazen244
For the guys that have had failures was it a slow trickle or a full blown leak? I have 148,000 and I don't think they were pinned from the previous owner
All the ones I have witnesses were full blown and occurred during a track day.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:58 PM
blazen244
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
All the ones I have witnesses were full blown and occurred during a track day.
WOW I don't plan on doing any of those anyways but thank you for the response.
Old 06-16-2020, 01:12 AM
k9turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 213 Posts

slow leaks are reserved for radiators and expansion tanks. if a coolant line goes? it is a catastrophic event.

i was on a leisurely run up a malibu mountain road several years ago with a cpl pals from here, and at breakneck speed of maybe 55 mph? when my pals well maintained and purty x50 just gave up the ghost. he called for a flatbed and me and the other tt owner continued our leisurely sunday stroll.

this anecdotal recount is for "balance". as sh*t happens and seemingly inexplicably. but thankfully, it hasn't to me.

must be that rabbit foot key fob
Old 06-16-2020, 01:58 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Depends on what type of oil you use. (Green font)
Old 06-16-2020, 02:32 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I have spoken to to well known shops in my area and both said there is no way to pin all the lines without dropping the engine.
Old 06-16-2020, 02:34 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 890 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Mezger Man
I have spoken to to well known shops in my area and both said there is no way to pin all the lines without dropping the engine.

You can do all except one.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 550 Posts

My shop sure does it without dropping the engine.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:16 PM
Mezger Man
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

So to go through all the trouble to pin all but one doesn't make sense. Drop the engine and do it right.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:18 PM
kamlung
Rennlist Member

Received 306 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
My shop sure does it without dropping the engine.
i thought there was one buried on the front side of the motor towards the firewall?
Old 06-16-2020, 04:18 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So to go through all the trouble to pin all but one doesn't make sense. Drop the engine and do it right.
They can all be pinned with the engine in.

​​​​
Old 06-16-2020, 04:23 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kamlung
i thought there was one buried on the front side of the motor towards the firewall?
My shop says that they pin the forward fitting with the engine in. They said it takes time to do it, and having small hands and the right tools helps.

They tell me that they don't like to charge customers to drop the engine just because it makes it easier for the mechanic.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:30 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

Dock, Does your shop pull out all the fittings in each aluminum casting, abrasive scuff/clean and then epoxy/glue each fitting and then tap and pin?
Do they replace all the engine hoses?

Old 06-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kevin
Dock, Does your shop pull out all the fittings in each aluminum casting, abrasive scuff/clean and then epoxy/glue each fitting and then tap and pin?
Do they replace all the engine hoses?

Sure, if you want them to.

But they don't think it is worth it to pull perfectly tight fittings just to re-glue them back in. If the fittings are tight they leave them alone. If a fitting eventually leaks they address it then. With the fittings pinned they can still leak, they just won't blow out.

They also check the hoses and if they find one that needs to be replaced then they take care of it.

My shop doesn't believe in just replacing parts that don't need replacing.

Old 06-16-2020, 05:22 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 341 Likes on 227 Posts

It is my opinion that the above method of repairs opens the doors to financial hardship and false security.
Let me explain my reasoning and basis of opinion.

There is a well know video showing a shop removing all the coolant fittings, cleaning them, then chucking them up in a lathe and knurling each coolant fitting. They then remove all the old glue in each casting and abrasive scuff each bore.
Once clean they JB weld each fitting, let cure, tap and install a threaded fastener.
I feel that this method is the "benchmark" for shops and DIY folks/owners wanting to do a "epoxy/glue pinning system.
Discalaimer: I know, welding is the other choice>we will shelf that method right now.

Shops that want to save labor and cut time should inform customers and include this disclaimer: We did NOT epoxy/glue all of the 8 coolant fittings. There is risk that the glue bond can fail, and your engine will leak coolant. If preventing possible future coolant leaks from the coolant fittings are what you want as a consumer>>we need to readjust the labor quote.

Also (customer) If you move out of "our" area and or sell your car, please be aware that the labor to fix the fitting that is weeping coolant might require a engine drop and your new shop might charge you Higher labor rates and more labor "hours" to re-address the failed fitting.
The shop most likely will have to remove all the fittings and re-do the previous repair job.
There are Rennlister on this forum that have gone thru this. Some of them paid $5K (valuation to the seller) or more on a car purchase because they thought that the coolant fittings were pinned/welded/glued/epoxied ie Fixed.. Only to find out that the fittings were pinned without new epoxy/glue and now leaking.

I get the emails, I get the calls of the failures. Failures of pinned coolant fittings when they are not removed, cleaned and re-glued/epoxied and then pinned. OR partial repairs when 3 or 4 fittings were done, only to find out that more were NOT done (that's a seperate issue).

So, folks.. Be informed, know your risks.. Ask questions when you purchase the car.. Did the car "JUST" get pinned, or did it get epoxied. Be smart, ask the questions. Do not cut corners on this repair.

Statement: I would be stupid to say that JB epoxied fitting will NEVER fail. To date, I have not seen any failures when the shop or DIY person goes thru all the steps to prep and then epoxy the fittings in.

Last edited by Kevin; 06-16-2020 at 06:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PourBoi-Jay (06-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Pinning the lines