Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double-Din Stereo Install Retaining Bose & MOST Interface (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:27 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,806 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by ipman
Are you happy with the Metra kit I have read others felt it was a cheap and didn't blend in. It looks fine in the pics, just need 1-2 Porsche stickers. I don't have MOST but am going to add a double din with Carplay.
I think it looks great... If you look at the $150 Suncoast kit (vs. the metra kit at $20), it's not like it's a perfect match either!

Metra kit, my car:

(note that the lower section and particularly the flat filler panel that doesn't match really well is *not* part of the metra kit... I'm not using the lower section of the metra kit as I have some custom mounting for my autoblip)

Suncoast $150 kit. Better match? You decide...

Old 08-26-2019, 09:13 AM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I had Best Buy install it, as I bought it there. No moist as I’ve noticed and he grounded it to a solid ground. I kept my Bose and we put in a alpine amp which really “woke up” the sound. Here in the DFW area, there are 25+ HD 2-3 channels, and my only problem is they drop off and on everywhere. I had a MB loan car recently that had HD on it’s radio, and it worked perfectly. I’ve tried several antennas and the tech even put in a new pioneer HU, and it dropped signals as well. I really think the wire antenna in the windshield is la inadequate. I’m asking everywhere if there’s a fix. Maybe a “shark” antenna or something else. I’m getting frustrated. I’ve fixed everything elst, FN Solution IMs bearing, rt. Window regulator,headlight switch,Fister. Mod mufflers, air oil separator, new S. Belt, mesh grill to keep out leaves, new carrier and seat pad for driver, new self dimming rear view mirror, pirelli P Zero tires. LED tail lights and third. Rake lights(2), chrome letters “PORSCHE& Carrera” for rear deck, Lloyd mats extra thick. I’m almost done, I think! Whew. That’s a lot, oh yeah, new improved coils and spark plugs when the old mufflers were out. I like the Kenwood DNX575S except for not getting the zHD staytions. I’ll figure it out, I hope. Harley 42
Old 08-26-2019, 09:16 AM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

This is my install. Harley42
Old 08-26-2019, 09:29 AM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

I don’t know which kit he used at Best Buy, I’ll find out Wednesday, he’s off m&tues.

PORSCHE. & Carrera letters added

Fisher mufflers
I was in the process of taking out the Kenwood to send it to SCenter in California to see if there’s a problem in the HD signal in HU. I’m hecking everything I’ll figure it out Harley42
Old 08-27-2019, 02:04 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ipman
Are you happy with the Metra kit I have read others felt it was a cheap and didn't blend in. It looks fine in the pics, just need 1-2 Porsche stickers. I don't have MOST but am going to add a double din with Carplay.
Here is another pic of the Metra. The fit is pretty good. The gaps around the HU you can’t really blame on the kit. The color is nearly a perfect match to my natural gray interior, so got lucky there. The biggest factor may be how well the spray on rubber coating holds up. I was really careful but still managed to mar it a bit. FWIW, the Metra has excellent instructions.

Old 08-27-2019, 11:44 AM
ipman
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Appreciate the pics, it looks good. Did the cubby come with a hole cut or did you have to do that for the wire?
Old 08-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Harley42
Rennlist Member

Default Cubby

cubby had to cut a hole in the back, top part so hole wouldn’t be visable and maybe lose small stuff thru a hole in the actual back part of cubby hope to hear from Kenwood soon.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:12 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Harley42
cubby had to cut a hole in the back, top part so hole wouldn’t be visable and maybe lose small stuff thru a hole in the actual back part of cubby hope to hear from Kenwood soon.
I put a grommet in there to take up some of the space around the hole, unfortunately the hole had to be pretty big to accommodate the usb connector. Could be much smaller if you just drill for the phone side of the connector, but then you have to take the whole thing apart to change cables. Thinking in retrospect, the Oem cubby has a rubber pad in the back of the cubby. That piece could probably be retrofitted to the Metra cubby. In that case better to drill the holes on one side opposite of where the rubber pad presses in than in the middle like I did.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:29 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

I think I'm just going to route my cable along the center console and have it pop up near the batwing. I got the rennline phone holder so I want it near that, don't need it in the cubby.
Old 09-01-2019, 07:53 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

In the middle of this now, some notes... I needed to also cut off the two eyelets on the top of the factory piece in addition to what Metra says to cut off. You also need to build some sort of wedge for the Metra piece. It's really made for the early 996's and not the later ones. They actually used to have a totally different kit for the later 996's but discontinued it, this is the only kit now, but they didn't bother to engineer any kind of fix to make it work properly on the later 996's. So be aware it's not a plug n play solution.

I'm tapping the phone harness for switched power, turns out I was missing the fuse for that circuit, so at least I've got that fixed. Friend and I worked on this and have everything ready to go back into the car once the wedges for the Metra surround are built. HVAC harness has been moved, wiring harness for the Seican MOST/Bose adapter, the Metra harness and the radio harness have all been done. Almost time to plug everything together, then upload the latest firmware into the radio and call it a day.

Hopefully finish tomorrow.
Old 09-01-2019, 09:10 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

deleted

Last edited by jayzbird; 09-02-2019 at 12:40 AM.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:35 AM
BMiller33
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm routing my camera cables now. Unfort I didnt take photos but I went through the dr side taillight bungs (need to drill a hole in the inner most one). I also removed interior panels which made pulling the wires through much easier. Instead of going through all the foam to the speaker I ran the wires along c-pillar and headliner to the b-pillar then down to the dr side foot sill. This worked really well and everything was tucked in nicely behind the panels. My only gripe is w the camera and stereo folks....the wires (for power, not video) are not long enough and I had to splice both in addition to adding wire to the line to make it to the stereo.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:30 AM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Updated the post with a couple more pics of tricky parts of the trim removal, revised grounding point, and the noise suppressor I needed to banish the whine.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM
BMiller33
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finished my install, didn’t like the metra kit as I wanted hvac controls in bin3. Unfort I have to remove and fix the parking brake wire to ground to short circuit the silly safety features (I left it wo hooking it to anything).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nau...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Is your seicane box working correctly? Mine is powering off after a few minutes. Also, more notes on how/where you installed the noise suppressor?

Quick Reply: Double-Din Stereo Install Retaining Bose & MOST Interface (Long)