Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 07:51 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
being salt water...
I doubt it's salt water in that area of Houston. The flooding is likely just from the rainfall.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I doubt it's salt water in that area of Houston. The flooding is likely just from the rainfall.
Correct. Med Center is a good 30 minutes from the coast.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:55 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

If it is fresh water, I would 100% repair
Old 08-28-2017, 07:58 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

if you do decide to get into the car, if still at all active, the alarm module will cause the car to do sporadic things so get ready with a 10mm to get that battery disconnected
Old 08-28-2017, 10:49 PM
Jones R
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The insurance rep immediately called the Range Rover a total loss and issued a check today. As for my turbo, the decision is still out for review. The reimbursement amount for the RR was right around the "Very Good" level condition indicated in by NADA.

If the turbo comes back with similar results (IF they even decide to total it), that will hurt pretty bad. I really liked this car and it would actually be difficult to find a replacement.

The city of Houston and other areas of Texas are having a rough time right now, and the real struggle hasn't even begun. It is very hot and humid here and the amount of mold and rot that will come from this event will be monumental. When the sun finally comes out the heat will make everything much worse.

Airports are closed for the week and transportation around or out of the city is difficult if not impossible for some.

Hopefully next update will be a little more positive. Wish me luck!

Thanks again
Jay

--here is a photo of my favorite car before the flood

Old 08-28-2017, 11:09 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Jones R
The insurance rep immediately called the Range Rover a total loss and issued a check today. As for my turbo, the decision is still out for review. The reimbursement amount for the RR was right around the "Very Good" level condition indicated in by NADA.

If the turbo comes back with similar results (IF they even decide to total it), that will hurt pretty bad.
I'd start collecting asking and sale values of similar cars on rennlist, bringatrailer, ebay, pcna, etc. and be ready to dispute the insurance companies valuation...
Old 08-28-2017, 11:11 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

...the real struggle hasn't even begun. It is very hot and humid here and the amount of mold and rot that will come from this event will be monumental. When the sun finally comes out the heat will make everything much worse.

Airports are closed for the week and transportation around or out of the city is difficult if not impossible for some.
Agreed. The worse is yet to come.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:10 AM
DarenB68
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C2 Turbo
Sorry to hear about your loss but why was it not moved to a safer place? I mean knowing the severity of the storm, I personally would have driven or had it towed to another location?

Hope the rest of the house didn't get flooded.
really dumb and insensitive comment
Old 08-29-2017, 02:06 AM
champignon
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry for your loss. What a mess to have to deal with, the cars are the least of it.

Take the money from the insurance company, rent a cheap replacement car (paid for by your insurance company) and take some time to study your options. There is no rush on your part, and it looks like you will have much more important things to deal with initially than finding replacement cars.
Old 08-29-2017, 03:30 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

'05 Turbo S
Water up to seats; total loss?
Sorry to see hope your dogs and family are ok.
thanks
If they totaled the RR, they'll surely total the tt, may just be researching how much to offer you.
Argue them up a little with some fs ads and put the check towards a new ride. The time spent rebuilding and chasing weird electrical problems are nothing I'd want to buy back.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:17 AM
fung0001
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I had got my brand new Honda flooded by fresh water in hk at exactly the same level like yours in 1996.
the dealer replaced nearly all electronic / mechanical/ cometic stuff soaked in water with a total repair cost at about 80% of the new car price.

then i drove it for over 10 yrs without ANY issue!!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:35 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Insurance payouts without declared value on these cars is pitiful. Heading to rockport today to see house and cars I left behind. I'll post some pics to see how everything is when I get back. I have my turbo with me in San Angelo, but the corvette I left in garage at rockport.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

+1,
OP, I am very sure you have bigger issues on your hands right now, but if the water in your garage/area has receded, you can pull the seats/carpet/alarm module and turn the engine over by hand, and then fire it up after drying out the alarm module yourself, you most likely will save the car, no 'need' for insurance to be involved.

Originally Posted by fung0001
I had got my brand new Honda flooded by fresh water in hk at exactly the same level like yours in 1996.
the dealer replaced nearly all electronic / mechanical/ cometic stuff soaked in water with a total repair cost at about 80% of the new car price.

then i drove it for over 10 yrs without ANY issue!!
Old 08-29-2017, 10:46 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I am sorry for your loss Jay - Houston was my home for a number of years - take care -
Old 08-29-2017, 12:10 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

While I have never been in a flood I've been up close to flood waters. Several times over the years the flood water came right up to the front yard. (A front corner of the lot was in the "flood zone" in fact.)

Flood water, even just "rain" water, is nasty stuff. Full of dirt, sewage, all the nasty stuff that pets and livestock -- if one lives in an urban area -- leave laying around. Manure collection ponds can be flooded and the contents combined with the flood water.

There can be oil or fuel on top of the water from flooded vehicles, lawnmowers, farm equipment, underground storage tanks.

Cans and bottles and containers of whatever fluids home owners/businesses had laying around get washed out and spilled into the water. Paint, paint thinner, pesticides, other chemicals, and so on.

In some areas the water can be loaded with sand. (Years ago a bad flood hit a bit north of where my parents lived. Sometime later Dad wanted some sand for his garden and found an ad in the local paper for "free sand". Dad drove to the guy's location, a farm, which had suffered from flooding. The farmer had cleared one field of sand, scraped it into a pile. It was feet high piled in a mound and hundreds of feet long. Dad filled up a couple of garbage cans with some sand which didn't even put a dent in the sand.)

Like I said flood water is nasty stuff.

I would not repair but instead push to have the car declared a total loss and get the money and run away from the car.

Quick Reply: Flooded in Houston