Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCCB Arbitration Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 10:15 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark, I am still a little amazed that PNA want to fight you on this, I wonder if anyone will anyone will want PCCB brakes in the future, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot, after spending what must be a fortune on R&D work for this new system, they must realize it nees more R&D?

IMHO I feel they should withdraw it from the market, take it to the Nurbergring, and sort out this premature wear issue in the real world.

Is there an official line from PAG in your arbitration, or is it soley PNA?

Last edited by macfly; 02-27-2004 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Default Mac

Porsche NA is the only one involved as far as I know.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:05 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd be surprised if anyone reading this thread would ever risk buying ceramics. I know I considered the option seriously for my X50 before I learned they truely weren't available. Lucky miss for those who didn't get them. Disappointing for all of us who believed that Porsche would stand behind the cars which were used as intended and advertised-namely at the track. Those days are gone. AS
Old 02-27-2004, 10:40 PM
brh986
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Mac

Originally posted by Mark GT2
Porsche NA is the only one involved as far as I know.
Mark,

It may be a long shot and a ridiculous suggestion but I'm gonig to throw this out there anyway since you say Porsche NA is the only one involved. I'm going to Stuttgart for a european delivery in June, if you still haven't resolved your issues by then I would be glad to deliver a letter to someone at head quarters and try to make them aware of the problems their North American customers are having. I could be wrong but it seems to me that those in Europe that had trouble with PCCB had an easier time getting replacement parts from everything I've read. They may not care but then again maybe they have a sligthly difference position in Germany.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:41 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

why did this thread die? have all the PCCB problems been resolved? are they replacing our discs? should i be going through pads (ie: flaking, discolorations, and cracked clean through) every 1k to 2500 miles?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:49 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think Porsche should replace all the cars with Gen 1 rotors with Gen 2 rotors. At the end Gen 2 came as a fix and not as an improvement to a design.

I don't think there are that many cars out there with PCCB anyway.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

There was an effort to take Porsche NA to court over the PCCB's.... but there was a problem finding a lawyer.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:56 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Z06
There was an effort to take Porsche NA to court over the PCCB's.... but there was a problem finding a lawyer.

funny that... off the top of my head, i can't think of one US lawyer of my acquaintance, male or female (lets not count the other ones), that does NOT drive a Porsche....

R+C
Old 06-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Angry I solved my problem with PCCB

I finally got to the point where I couldn't take the time or effort chasing this issue down - so I did the following:

1. Instead of buying a Porsche Cayanne Turbo I purchased a Lincoln Navigator (hard to believe but true).

2. Instead of a Carrera GT I purchased a new 360 Modena Spider and have a new 430 Spider scheduled for the spring of 2006.

All because they lied about their product .
Old 06-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Those are all nice cars (well, except the Navigator), Mark, but not buying Porsche (and even noting it here) doesn't help Porsche to understand and resolbve the problem. Not that I have a good way of doing that, but have Rennlisters tried petition, publicity and the like?
Old 06-02-2005, 09:16 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, you should let Porsche NA know exactly what you did and why. Let them know that their decision cost them real dollars, in terms of lost sales. If that won't a least stir them up a little, then they are hopeless.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 06-02-2005, 09:41 AM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark:

Are you going to bring the F car(s) to any events? Would like to get a ride in one of those.

Kam
Old 06-02-2005, 09:49 AM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Default Porsche knows

I have told them about past purchases. Let's see now I purchased a new 2000 996 Millenium for about 95K, and nine months later I purchased a new 2001 turbo at about $130K, and about 1 year later I purchased a new 2002 GT2 for about $190K. Those were purchases I made "before" this issue - and Porsche knew it.

If you recall this note from my earliest post when my car had 1700 miles on it:
February 2003 I sent this note to Alwin Springer (who at the time was the President of Porsche Motor Sports North America)

I recently purchased a new 2002 GT2 and the car is used almost exclusively for track (DE) events I've noticed that the stock pads did not work well on the track and I’m trying to resolve this issue. The GT2 has the ceramic brakes and is totally stock except for hoosier tires.

While driving the car at Watkins Glen (the weather was about 40 degrees this past October) at the end of the back strait I would hit the brakes hard (going about 160-165 mph) and the ABS did not kick in.....the tires did not lock up.....and I just continued rolling forward...slowing down....but not very fast (it was as if the breaks had not been warm). I should note that I had run a few laps to warm up the brakes before doing this.

I then took my 2001 twin turbo out to the same spot, at about the same speed, and it stopped on a dime - everytime (the turbo has pagid orange pads but everything else is stock).

Any suggestions? Any pads for this application? I’m hoping that I won’t have to replace the entire brake system to achieve proper performance.

Note: Alwin called me back and informed me that the brakes DID NOT work well when they were heated up. He also told me that Porsche had just released 2 other types of brake pads for the car to try and resolve this problem… so now there were 3 types (street pad, sport pad, and race pad – I had been using the sport pad)

When Porsche then continued to claim there were no problems - I should have known. I was just one of the unfortunate few to discover the problem first.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:57 AM
gmund 1
Advanced

While not fully agreeing with watt... I must say that expendables such as brake rotors/ pads are the small price we have to pay to play with a high performance vehicle. I'm more miffed about the prospect of running drivers ed, having an engine breakdown that they would deny coverage even if you read the owners manuel they have track references for use of the car. Racing is one thing, enjoying the car for the purpose intended is another. Maybe a suit for misleading advertising for the benefit of inducement of sale is the appropriate avenue to pursue.
Gmund
Old 06-02-2005, 11:11 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

gmund - I would agree with you except for the ludicrous price charged for replacement PCCB rotors. If they were double the price of steel, most would not complain but at 20 times the price, one expects at least 20 x durability. which is not the case.

FWIW I am told that the second gen rotors can fit on cars with Gen 1 PCCB. I don't know if they work better because part of the problem was/is a lack of cooling on the 996 series cars. We've already seen a post regarding replacement of Gen 2 PCCB due to cracking. Anybody know what replacement Gen 2 rotors cost?

Quick Reply: PCCB Arbitration Results