Sponsored by:

The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2022, 10:24 PM
rjf
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Here is my take on this. And I'll start by saying that I may be one of the biggest 996 fanboys out there, but even then it took some time (and a few years) to come around to that status. They just aren't for everyone. And I think Porsche figured that, which is why they produced so few. They are not super torquey, and although very fast, you kind of have to ring it out to feel that, and if that is not your style, I could see the car getting tiring (I once heard a rennlister explain why he sold his 996-3 by saying it was kind of like riding your jetski in a pool). With that said, even though modern vettes will crush a stock 996 gt3, I've not driven another car that is so eager all the way to redline with no "falling off" (first gen boxsters actually have this characteristic, albeit at much lower power levels!). Its just got a very charismatic powertrain that makes all-out speed or acceleration less important than its other attributes. I think what happened is that you had a high percentage of initial owners for which the car didn't "stick," then the 997 came along and even I think they looked way better than the 996, and it wasn't long after that even nice 996's with moderate mileage were trading in the 50's-60's. Then with later iterations that were very quick and very pretty, the "fried egg" stigma started to really catch hold and that didn't help either as big-ego'd brosefs chased the latest and greatest to aid in "sword fighting" at cars and coffee.

But then something happened. They got old/classic enough that they stopped being regarded as the "poor man's gt3" or the gt3 you bought if you couldn't afford a 997/991/992 gt3. No, just like you never look at a dude driving a 67 mustang or cherry 914-6 and say "oh look at that poor guy that can't afford a newer car," people started viewing these cars as the "First GT3," a status symbol in its own right that offered a really awesome driving experience. Add in mezger reliability, good ac, relative comfort (compared to air-cooled stuff for example), still great speed by modern standards, race car credentials, a sublime, analog driving feel, perfect size, fun handling characteristics that is not too "clinical" and perfect, and big-time rarity, and you have a pretty desirable combination.

And as for the offerings that have been coming up lately, I think you are seeing sales by those were probably on the fence, because face it, if you are on the fence about 6-3 ownership right now, you'd be kind of foolish not to sell right now. But, my theory is that if one doesn't sell now, there is a good chance that same person ain't going to be selling anytime soon (barring some sort of massive economic calamity, which very well may occur). So, my prediction is that over time we will see fewer and fewer of these hit the market, which bodes well for future values but not for 996-populated track days!
Thanks so much Scott for a very thoughtful and well written observation. Really appreciate it!
Old 06-29-2022, 11:59 AM
PumpkinRS
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 64 Posts
Default 6/GT3

it’s the Early S and 73RS of our time.

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Here is my take on this. And I'll start by saying that I may be one of the biggest 996 fanboys out there, but even then it took some time (and a few years) to come around to that status. They just aren't for everyone. And I think Porsche figured that, which is why they produced so few. They are not super torquey, and although very fast, you kind of have to ring it out to feel that, and if that is not your style, I could see the car getting tiring (I once heard a rennlister explain why he sold his 996-3 by saying it was kind of like riding your jetski in a pool). With that said, even though modern vettes will crush a stock 996 gt3, I've not driven another car that is so eager all the way to redline with no "falling off" (first gen boxsters actually have this characteristic, albeit at much lower power levels!). Its just got a very charismatic powertrain that makes all-out speed or acceleration less important than its other attributes. I think what happened is that you had a high percentage of initial owners for which the car didn't "stick," then the 997 came along and even I think they looked way better than the 996, and it wasn't long after that even nice 996's with moderate mileage were trading in the 50's-60's. Then with later iterations that were very quick and very pretty, the "fried egg" stigma started to really catch hold and that didn't help either as big-ego'd brosefs chased the latest and greatest to aid in "sword fighting" at cars and coffee.

But then something happened. They got old/classic enough that they stopped being regarded as the "poor man's gt3" or the gt3 you bought if you couldn't afford a 997/991/992 gt3. No, just like you never look at a dude driving a 67 mustang or cherry 914-6 and say "oh look at that poor guy that can't afford a newer car," people started viewing these cars as the "First GT3," a status symbol in its own right that offered a really awesome driving experience. Add in mezger reliability, good ac, relative comfort (compared to air-cooled stuff for example), still great speed by modern standards, race car credentials, a sublime, analog driving feel, perfect size, fun handling characteristics that is not too "clinical" and perfect, and big-time rarity, and you have a pretty desirable combination.

And as for the offerings that have been coming up lately, I think you are seeing sales by those were probably on the fence, because face it, if you are on the fence about 6-3 ownership right now, you'd be kind of foolish not to sell right now. But, my theory is that if one doesn't sell now, there is a good chance that same person ain't going to be selling anytime soon (barring some sort of massive economic calamity, which very well may occur). So, my prediction is that over time we will see fewer and fewer of these hit the market, which bodes well for future values but not for 996-populated track days!
The following users liked this post:
UpOnTheWheel (07-03-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 01:42 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 536 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by PumpkinRS
it’s the Early S and 73RS of our time.
73 RS.
UpOnTheWheel (07-03-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 10:42 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought this car from BAT from Vance. I just ordered a fresh set of tires and new OEM engine mounts for it, will get a fresh alignment and plan on driving it regularly. At some point I will have the clear coat issues addressed but for now I want to make sure it is mechanically perfect. It sits next to my 997 GT2 and 991 GT3.

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
I spoke with Vance, and followed this car pretty closely, albeit I didn't see / drive the car.

Everything Vance told me makes sense (no red flags from him), and the car has had a decent amount of trouble free miles since he took delivery...

The dealer's I spoke with out of Canada told me an O2 sensor would likely be the only fix needed, and apparently it was -- I just wasn't willing to take a risk on potential mechanical issues, and deal with the import hassle! In my opinion, whoever snags this car should just drive it and fix stuff as it goes. I think this car has a lot of positives and negatives...depends on what camp you're in!
Originally Posted by lcrain
I don't want to muddy the auction, not my place, but I assume you are aware of the history of the car. Specifically the apparent fire at some point in the engine bay that damaged some of the wiring. From the pictures, it looks like everything is up to snuff in there, but can you comment at all as to what needed to be repaired or replaced?
Originally Posted by Vance911
Thanks for the interest in my GT3! I’m the owner/ seller of the cobalt car currently listed. To clarify a few things, I am not a flipper, I will be a happy camper if I don’t lose any or not significant amount of money owning and driving a GT3 for ~1000 miles, that’s a huge win in my book!!
I bought this car as it was a dream/goal of mine to own a GT3 and cobalt blue is one of my favorite colors. At 23 years old, I was finally in a position to pull the trigger on one of my dream cars and I felt it was a good time to reward myself after a few years of saving up. So I did! Fast forward 6 months to now, this car has been really fun to drive and I’ve enjoyed my time with it but I’ve realized it’s not exactly what I want overall. While the color and driving experience is awesome, I’m still not 100% sold on the 996 looks. I want something a little more exotic all around now. Thinking will go 997 or 991.1 GT3RS route next and the funds from this car will help me move into that. I will probably regret selling this one down the road as finding another cobalt will be difficult but I can’t keep them all.
I bought this GT3 turn key sorted mechanically (aside from the front brakes which was disclosed to me and I have since replaced rotors/pads) from a dealer, DG auto club, in Canada, while the car was in Canada. (DG specializes in bringing US cars back to US) I purchased the car under the agreement it would be sold to me with a US title as I had no interest in the re-importation/paperwork process. That’s why it was registered in Ohio right before I registered the car in Georgia, as that was the dealership’s process for them obtaining a US title. For further clarification, I had possession of the vehicle before and after the Ohio registration and the vehicle never went to Ohio. It went directly from the Canadian dealer to me and I had to wait a little while for the US title (Ohio) to arrive which eventually it did obviously. I have no information whether the coolant pipes have been done or not. Hope this clears any confusion up. Thanks guys!
The following 2 users liked this post by wisky:
brontosaurus (06-30-2022), cag4 (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 09:12 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky
I bought this car from BAT from Vance. I just ordered a fresh set of tires and new OEM engine mounts for it, will get a fresh alignment and plan on driving it regularly. At some point I will have the clear coat issues addressed but for now I want to make sure it is mechanically perfect. It sits next to my 997 GT2 and 991 GT3.
Congrats! What I stable! I need to add a 997-2 (and an pre-74 911 and a 930) and then I will be done!
SupraSaiyan (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 12:24 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ign=2022-07-01

Based on the last two auctions, market seems to be cooled off...
Old 07-03-2022, 12:23 AM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

If anyone has a 996 GT3 they are thinking of selling, please drop me a PM. I am pretty flexible. I've had a 996 C4S and 996 Turbo, so I guess this will round out the experience.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:41 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smoltz
If anyone has a 996 GT3 they are thinking of selling, please drop me a PM. I am pretty flexible. I've had a 996 C4S and 996 Turbo, so I guess this will round out the experience.
I suggest you tell fellow members what you are looking for. As current market has plenty to choose from. Driver's with some miles and history under $100k to garage queen close to $200k.
Old 07-06-2022, 03:54 PM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
I suggest you tell fellow members what you are looking for. As current market has plenty to choose from. Driver's with some miles and history under $100k to garage queen close to $200k.
Fair point -- ideal car would be a 1-3 owner car with say, 40-60k miles. Limited or no track use. No accidents or paintwork. Full leather. Some mods OK (suspension, interior). Open to any exterior/interior color combos.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:16 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Smoltz
Fair point -- ideal car would be a 1-3 owner car with say, 40-60k miles. Limited or no track use. No accidents or paintwork. Full leather. Some mods OK (suspension, interior). Open to any exterior/interior color combos.
No affiliation...

https://www.excellence-mag.com/classifieds/66493

Smoltz (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 11:29 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Hard to believe this car sold for $72k just 1.5 years ago on BAT. What are the thoughts here on a fair price for this in today’s market? Some of the aftermarket choices like the amp are unusual but other than missing the oem seats and wing, it didn’t appear that anything suspect came up in the auction queries.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,130 Likes on 2,141 Posts

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...ign=2022-07-01

Based on the last two auctions, market seems to be cooled off...
reserve not met $91k.
Old 07-07-2022, 09:36 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

I'm not surprised. 3 months ago you can't find anything decent for less than $100k so many sellers including myself are still expecting that.
Old 07-12-2022, 04:08 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 379 Posts

Super interesting the last two BAT auctions, especially after the solid numbers brought by the cobalt car despite its issues/mileage. Perhaps things are cooling off a bit, or perhaps those with 100 g's to drop on a BAT 996 gt3 on BAT want a "collectable" skittle color car with all the options like pccb/deviated stitching/full leather, etc....
Old 07-12-2022, 04:15 PM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 349 Posts

Pretty optimistic of the latest Seal Grey car to list on eBay IMO. Little to no chance it brings more than the 96k all-in it would have gone for on BaT IMO. I agree though, things are cooling off on the lower end for a while.

I wonder what any of the green 996 GT3s would fetch if they popped up. Never even seen a picture of one. I'd love to see a Meridian Metallic as well if that actually exists.

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...