The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 11:14 PM
94526GT3
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
ha! No comment!
The amount of trolling that auction got over the seats were ridiculous. I am amazed that seat bolsters were mentioned more than pinned coolant lines in a 996 GT3 auction. New owner probably plans on adding euros anyway and will store these oem seats to repair in the future. $115k though for 22k miles. Wow. Guess I need to stop driving mine.
Old 08-02-2021, 09:34 AM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by craina
Weren’t these cars were relatively inexpensive at one point?
Yes, around $60-70K
Old 08-02-2021, 06:10 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
the financials on this are just nuts... invest $50k into a car and have it be worth $60k. leave a 17k mile GT3 perfectly stock and have it be worth $120-135k, maybe. huge fail from an economics point of view.

i get that the car was enjoyed as intended, but the ROI on this one is abysmal. just crazy to think about.
I think it's two very different kinds of buyer. The ones that will track it and those that won't. I am the latter but I am going to guess the trackers have moved on to newer faster toys. So the 996 GT3 that has been tracked hard are less appealing.
Old 08-02-2021, 08:08 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 94526GT3
The amount of trolling that auction got over the seats were ridiculous. I am amazed that seat bolsters were mentioned more than pinned coolant lines in a 996 GT3 auction. New owner probably plans on adding euros anyway and will store these oem seats to repair in the future. $115k though for 22k miles. Wow. Guess I need to stop driving mine.
I obviously agree with your sentiment. I had no interest in the outcome of that auction and frankly don’t really want to see values rise too much as I have friends in the market and I have no plans on ever selling mine. But I felt bad for the seller because it seemed like one guy in particular was trying to torpedo the auction. And you could tell he is “in the market” so he definitely had an interest in seeing these things trade at a lower price. He made his point about the bolster wear, which is fine, but then he kept harping on it and it seemed to be just piling on. So I thought I’d chime in and provide a different perspective and opinion.
The following users liked this post:
vtgt (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 08:43 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

First of all, the auction sites and comment sections are a complete joke...there are people looking to buy cars that are trashing the cars in the comment section, and owners or people with seemingly vested interests that are hyping them up. It goes both ways.

There's also another factor that makes things difficult to assess...and it's having such a big delta between sales prices on cars in the market and on the auction sites. There was a drivers car that just sold for ~$70k a few weeks ago (had miles) and then this red car fetches ~$115k (low miles)...quite a big gap in cars, but also quite a big gap in price. You also have similar cars to the red one that just sold for $115k that are sitting on sites. I.E. Driven out of Houston has a no story car sitting in the low $90's...

If that red car is such a screaming deal at $115k, where are the buyers on the aforementioned car at $90k?

In other news, a polar silver car just hit PCA for a few hours the other day. 19k miles or so, polar silver, some paint work...it was listed at 96k. I called on it, and within the same day, it had multiple offers at 99k, apparently ended up selling to a dealer at 100k, and that dealer will be re-listing it soon for 120k.

The market is strange for both buyers and sellers. I am working with a private seller now, and he is really wrestling with the idea of selling his car. I have a suspicion that he feels he is selling his car a bit too low to me, and I feel that I am paying a bit too much for it...

As many have said before, the cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for them...simply put.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:45 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 335 Posts

That's the problem with an illiquid, mostly opaque market. All you have is asks and generally no idea what the bid ends up being.

115k for what isn't what a museum piece is definitely a big tick up. BaT definitely pulls a premium by putting a spotlight on a single car, and desirability certainly ramps up when multiple parties seem to be interested. I suspect some of those bidders might have just seen the car on the site and gotten interested, but may be in the overall chase now that they missed out.

Old 08-03-2021, 03:21 AM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
I obviously agree with your sentiment. I had no interest in the outcome of that auction and frankly don’t really want to see values rise too much as I have friends in the market and I have no plans on ever selling mine. But I felt bad for the seller because it seemed like one guy in particular was trying to torpedo the auction. And you could tell he is “in the market” so he definitely had an interest in seeing these things trade at a lower price. He made his point about the bolster wear, which is fine, but then he kept harping on it and it seemed to be just piling on. So I thought I’d chime in and provide a different perspective and opinion.

That's really weak Scott. The rest of you who disagree with what I wrote will have to deal with it. My comments are valid when looking at the totality of the vehicle on offer. How many times was something like "classic" or "future valuations increasing" in that and other auctions? Too many to count. If its not being looked at as a classic, you've got the blinders on. If I was interested, I wouldn't have wasted very much time in not getting it. It's really simple. You either bid or you don't. FYI: AZ911's was a much better example and that's on magnitudes of scale!

If a comment is directed toward an auction by myself or any other individual, of course there will be replies. If however a statement is made in return, you, your grandma, her brother, etc. have every right to reply. And yeah, it's blatantly obvious that even amongst here there are the delusional folk that COMPROMISE in the name of seeing valuations high. That's the biggest joke in all history. Honestly, I could care less. I don't want a 996 of any sort. Not now nor in the future. That's been made clear to many of you over the past 2yrs.

Since when are recent range 1's a perfect report? If that doesn't speak "delusional," god help your soul.

Last edited by Sword_of_the_Spirit; 08-03-2021 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:03 AM
sithot
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 126 Posts

Another one in Houston:

https://www.driventexas.com/vehicles...1-gt3-10204po1
Old 08-03-2021, 10:26 AM
brontosaurus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by Sword_of_the_Spirit
Since when are recent range 1's a perfect report? If that doesn't speak "delusional," god help your soul.
What a weird place to be in, where you think that using the car up to the point where Porsche set the limit is somehow a bad thing, and that if you shifted 100rpm before that every single time that it would somehow be markedly better.
The following 4 users liked this post by brontosaurus:
ljmartyre (08-13-2021), Norge911 (08-05-2021), Patrick3000 (08-03-2021), sp0da (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:59 AM
ChaoticSquare
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Auction sites have a special way of bringing higher prices. It can become a competition and solid financial logic is thrown out the window. In some cases a few cars go high and then a certain type of person gets interested and “can’t miss out”. Auctions typically bring more due to the excitement and wanting to win. Crazy how many people will go past their budget in an auction because they get caught in the moment. I think we will continue to see a somewhat large delta of low mileage high priced cars and the more average car/price, with the entire band moving up. Items are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and it doesn’t need to make financial or logical sense. Not gt3 related, but a Supra just sold for over 200k on BAT… I don’t have 200k to drop on a car that will be worth 80k if driven, but plenty of people do and will. Everyone is different and auctions bring a larger pool of people into the mix.
Old 08-03-2021, 01:22 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 523 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaoticSquare
Auction sites have a special way of bringing higher prices. It can become a competition and solid financial logic is thrown out the window. In some cases a few cars go high and then a certain type of person gets interested and “can’t miss out”. Auctions typically bring more due to the excitement and wanting to win. Crazy how many people will go past their budget in an auction because they get caught in the moment. I think we will continue to see a somewhat large delta of low mileage high priced cars and the more average car/price, with the entire band moving up. Items are worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and it doesn’t need to make financial or logical sense. Not gt3 related, but a Supra just sold for over 200k on BAT… I don’t have 200k to drop on a car that will be worth 80k if driven, but plenty of people do and will. Everyone is different and auctions bring a larger pool of people into the mix.
FEE
Fear of Loss
Emotions
Ego
Old 08-03-2021, 03:15 PM
Indiana Jones
Pro

Received 85 Likes on 60 Posts

Should I pause the search? haha

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 08-03-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 04:17 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,087 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiana Jones
First of all, the auction sites and comment sections are a complete joke...there are people looking to buy cars that are trashing the cars in the comment section, and owners or people with seemingly vested interests that are hyping them up. It goes both ways.

There's also another factor that makes things difficult to assess...and it's having such a big delta between sales prices on cars in the market and on the auction sites. There was a drivers car that just sold for ~$70k a few weeks ago (had miles) and then this red car fetches ~$115k (low miles)...quite a big gap in cars, but also quite a big gap in price. You also have similar cars to the red one that just sold for $115k that are sitting on sites. I.E. Driven out of Houston has a no story car sitting in the low $90's...

If that red car is such a screaming deal at $115k, where are the buyers on the aforementioned car at $90k?

In other news, a polar silver car just hit PCA for a few hours the other day. 19k miles or so, polar silver, some paint work...it was listed at 96k. I called on it, and within the same day, it had multiple offers at 99k, apparently ended up selling to a dealer at 100k, and that dealer will be re-listing it soon for 120k.

The market is strange for both buyers and sellers. I am working with a private seller now, and he is really wrestling with the idea of selling his car. I have a suspicion that he feels he is selling his car a bit too low to me, and I feel that I am paying a bit too much for it...

As many have said before, the cars are worth what someone is willing to pay for them...simply put.

I'm sure the bidders and the ultimate buyer of the BAT red 22k mile car were aware of the car at Driven. The Driven car is a stripper in black and has been driven only 1,000 miles between 2016 and now. Not that it would deter me. But some may be bothered by it. The red car had a lower MSRP too.

That red car had more wear issues than just the seat. Even the passenger door had some weird stuff happening. But in all fairness my 996 surfaces seemed to be easy to mar from memory. Funny the Driven car isn't discussed much here that I recall. It looks pretty good.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:42 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

I don't want a 996 of any sort. Not now nor in the future. That's been made clear to many of you over the past 2yrs.
curious then why do you post and follow this forum? only 996s here btw
The following 3 users liked this post by Turbodan:
KenW (08-07-2021), Upscale Audio (08-03-2021), wilfred (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:08 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 732 Likes on 371 Posts

That's really weak Scott. The rest of you who disagree with what I wrote will have to deal with it. My comments are valid when looking at the totality of the vehicle on offer. How many times was something like "classic" or "future valuations increasing" in that and other auctions? Too many to count. If its not being looked at as a classic, you've got the blinders on. If I was interested, I wouldn't have wasted very much time in not getting it. It's really simple. You either bid or you don't. FYI: AZ911's was a much better example and that's on magnitudes of scale!

If a comment is directed toward an auction by myself or any other individual, of course there will be replies. If however a statement is made in return, you, your grandma, her brother, etc. have every right to reply. And yeah, it's blatantly obvious that even amongst here there are the delusional folk that COMPROMISE in the name of seeing valuations high. That's the biggest joke in all history. Honestly, I could care less. I don't want a 996 of any sort. Not now nor in the future. That's been made clear to many of you over the past 2yrs.

Weak? I'm not sure that's the proper adjective but Ok (defensive, self-serving, delusional perhaps, but weak?). I find it kind of ironic you continually resort to the bastion of "Freedom to Express One's Opinion" yet seem to be so offended when someone dares to disagree with yours. No one is saying that you can't express it, shouldn't express it, or that we cant "deal with it," as you so nicely put it above. Rather, we are merely expressing ours as well, which apparently you don't like because it conflicts with yours (so much so that you apparently hunted down my post in this thread to express your outrage at my contrasting opinion). If you can't take a few opinions in opposition to yours, maybe you should think twice about sharing them in the first place. What's good for the goose is good for the gander, as they say. Moreover, forgive me for suspecting that you were interested in a 996 gt3...you made a few comments that certainly suggested that you were in the market, e.g., "I was 3 time this [price] on a potential just this morning" (what was the point of that comment, in the context of that auction and the contemporaneous commentary, if not to suggest you were wiling to pay top dollar for an absolutely mint 996 gt3?). I might also add that if in fact you were not even remotely interested in a 6-3, "[n]ot now nor in the future," then why the continuous attempts to bad-mouth the car? Because you enjoy bad-mouthing someone else's property or damaging their financial interests (after all, every one of your comments was intended to convince others that the car was not worth what it was clearly about to fetch, e.g., the comment that posting an overrev report "won't help much" with the auction "because the interior is not up to par."). Or was it some altruistic/paternalistic desire to help other avoid making an imprudent purchase? Regardless, you expressed your opinion, I (and others) expressed mine, and I might add, so did the "market" (and its pretty clear where "it" came down on this particular car and its monstrous bolster wear). In conclusion, god help my soul because I have no problem with range 1 overrev's!

Last edited by ScottArizona; 08-03-2021 at 06:10 PM.
The following 8 users liked this post by ScottArizona:
brontosaurus (08-08-2021), joejenie (08-04-2021), KenW (08-07-2021), ljmartyre (08-13-2021), nstymatt (08-03-2021), Rambler_13 (08-05-2021), wilfred (08-04-2021), winders (08-11-2021) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: The 996 GT3 Cars For Sale Thread...